Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says his driver Max Verstappen has been the class of the 2021 field.

He also thinks Mercedes have had the best car for most of the season

Discuss!

I just rolled my eyes....do YOU think he's right? ( No not you [MENTION=2719]Mouldy Boots[/MENTION] :lolol:)

I think you can make a strong case that whoever wins it will have deserved it. Likewise you can say that whoever loses doesn't deserve to lose. They've both driven incredibly for the vast majority of the season.

As for Mercedes having the faster car for the majority of the season. That's bollocks and is just Horner getting in his excuse for a) not winning the constructors and b) an opportunity to big up Max if Max wins the title or comes second.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Hamilton fastest, so far, in every sector.

Go get ‘em Lewis!

“Hamilton set the pace in Friday practice, with Verstappen in fourth place, 0.641 seconds behind.”

However, if he starts in pole with Max behind, the Dutchman will surely take him out on the first corner rather than risk Lewis driving off into the sunset?

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
Go get ‘em Lewis!

“Hamilton set the pace in Friday practice, with Verstappen in fourth place, 0.641 seconds behind.”

However, if he starts in pole with Max behind, the Dutchman will surely take him out on the first corner rather than risk Lewis driving off into the sunset?

This is why the racing notes to drivers this week raise the spectre of points deductions if any shenanigans take place on the first corner. Apparently Horner has already said it's not fair and demands consistency with other rounds of the championship - https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/h...-would-make-mockery-of-f1-stewarding/6870610/ which kind of gives the impression that they are concerned what would happen if Hamilton is punted off the track.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
It was done with Michael Schumacher in 1997 when he lost all his championship points for a deliberate crash to stop title rival in final race, however we have had the Prost & Senna championship crashes that didn't result in points deduction, so who knows???
If Max does pull a stunt like this to stop Lewis by causing a crash and Max isn't deducted points, the Lewis fans will go into meltdown (that be me).

forgive my ignorance, who did schuey take out?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Red Bull team principal Christian Horner says his driver Max Verstappen has been the class of the 2021 field.

He also thinks Mercedes have had the best car for most of the season

Discuss!

Horner and Red Bull shouldn't even be in this position that they haven't yet won this title. Bad luck and their own errors have prevented them being crowned already.

This is damage limitation pure and simple. They've had a title winning car and driver this season without a shadow of a doubt. Horner is just preparing the narrative for Sunday evening if they don't win it. Put it this way, if this title was near enough done and they hadn't f*cked up the Constructors, absolutely no way he'd be talking down his teams package. As it is, he's manipulating the narrative to head off an outcome that will hurt them badly. Newey and their engineers will know they've had the car under their driver. It's not been clear cut by any means, but to come out now and say you've had an inferior car for most of the season is frankly laughable, and anyone that properly follows F1 will see through this for what it is.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
forgive my ignorance, who did schuey take out?

He took out Damon Hill in Australia in 1994 to prevent Hill winning that title. In 1997 he 'tried' to take out Villeneuve in Jerez for which he was penalised heavily. Villeneuve was able to continue and win that year.

Quite a tame turn in by Max's standards! :lolol:

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Horner and Red Bull shouldn't even be in this position that they haven't yet won this title. Bad luck and their own errors have prevented them being crowned already.

This is damage limitation pure and simple. They've had a title winning car and driver this season without a shadow of a doubt. Horner is just preparing the narrative for Sunday evening if they don't win it. Put it this way, if this title was near enough done and they hadn't f*cked up the Constructors, absolutely no way he'd be talking down his teams package. As it is, he's manipulating the narrative to head off an outcome that will hurt them badly. Newey and their engineers will know they've had the car under their driver. It's not been clear cut by any means, but to come out now and say you've had an inferior car for most of the season is frankly laughable, and anyone that properly follows F1 will see through this for what it is.

:thumbsup:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
He took out Damon Hill in Australia in 1994 to prevent Hill winning that title. In 1997 he 'tried' to take out Villeneuve in Jerez for which he was penalised heavily. Villeneuve was able to continue and win that year.

Quite a tame turn in by Max's standards! :lolol:

This much more Max

https://youtu.be/uG7IH3kKByI

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here