Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] F1 2021

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I suspect it's a little different this year. Apart from anything else, the 2021 tyres have altered how the front end behaves (more prone to understeer), and at the back the changes to the car floor has also had an impact. Add to that that this season had the shortest pre-season testing ever for F1, and you're suddenly asking those drivers to learn their cars over the race weekend. You can see it with all the drivers who've changed teams for this season, to varying extent:

- Ricciardo is really struggling to get on top of the peculiarities of the McLaren.
- Perez hasn't yet nailed the Red Bull, in particular in Qually (his race pace hasn't been as bad).
- Vettel at Aston has struggled to impress against Stroll with exception of Monaco.
- Can add Alonso to the mix, he's clearly taken time to get to grips with the Alpine.
- Sainz at Ferrari has probably done the best of this group, but even he's generally not been as quick as expected with the exception of Monaco where he really impressed.
- Hard to say with the Haas boys as their both new, but given the number of spins and crashes it's probably fair to assume they're struggling to get on top of the car.

So back to the Perez / Russell comparison: last year - Russell was jumping out of a car that was pretty rubbish and into the WCC car, a car known to be without too many "diva" characteristics. His benchmark was Bottas (as opposed to Verstappen), and you could see a clear progression through the weekend with Russel starting out struggling to adapt and then gradually coming into it. By the end of Q3 he was there-ish with Bottas. On race day he nailed the start and proceeded to put Bottas in the shade without dominating him the way Hamilton normally does. But even after the race, Russell still talked about how he wasn't yet fully at home in the car: in particular on the entry to turn 1, but at various other points on the circuit as well he felt he had more time to make and he'd only achieve that with more time in the car.

However ... I do agree that Russell looks to me to be the real deal. He's a better driver than Perez, and definitely better than Bottas. Jury out on whether he can mix it with Hamilton and Verstappen if given the chance.

Also remains to be seen how all of the drivers adapt to the new cars next season. I suspect there's going to be a big shake up with more shocks along the lines of Ricciardo's struggles with the Mclaren.

Some very good analysis there. The only part I'd pick up on is the "Haas boys". Personally, I wouldn't have Mazepin in charge of a go kart - but then I don't need his family's money.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Some very good analysis there. The only part I'd pick up on is the "Haas boys". Personally, I wouldn't have Mazepin in charge of a go kart - but then I don't need his family's money.

I would have picked me up on my shoddy word choice...Should have been "they're" not "their"!

Totally agree on Mazepin, btw. He's clearly out of his depth and I'd far rather that Haas had kept Magnussen. Both because Magnussen would be quicker and push Mick more, and because by pushing Mick more give us a better benchmark for how well Mick is doing (as well as someone for Mick to learn from).

Garry Nelson's Left Foot

Jul 7, 2003
tokyo
****ing hell, what a mad race!

Verstappen crashes ourt and then hamilton in the restart jumps Perez into first and then runs off in the first corner and throws away the championship lead.

What a race, what a season!

1 - Perez
2 - Vettel
3- Gasly

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Despite being a Hamilton fan, I'm delighted in a way that this race has had a net zero impact on their battle at the top given Max's issue clearly wasn't his or his teams fault.

More worrying is Pirelli seemingly not understanding their own tyres, even after the Stroll incident they seemed adamant it wasn't the tyres. Major, major questions for them to answer.

This race shows for me why Red Bull were 100% right to invest in Perez as a second driver, they needed a cool, experienced head out there (can't imagine Albon doing this) and it's worked out for them. Tellingly it didn't work out for Valteri Bottas, who surely must be edging ever closer to that exit door at Mercedes.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Despite being a Hamilton fan, I'm delighted in a way that this race has had a net zero impact on their battle at the top given Max's issue clearly wasn't his or his teams fault.

More worrying is Pirelli seemingly not understanding their own tyres, even after the Stroll incident they seemed adamant it wasn't the tyres. Major, major questions for them to answer.

This race shows for me why Red Bull were 100% right to invest in Perez as a second driver, they needed a cool, experienced head out there (can't imagine Albon doing this) and it's worked out for them. Tellingly it didn't work out for Valteri Bottas, who surely must be edging ever closer to that exit door at Mercedes.

Bottas will cost Mercedes the constructors title at this rate.

PeterOut

Aug 16, 2016
****ing hell, what a mad race!

Verstappen crashes ourt and then hamilton in the restart jumps Perez into first and then runs off in the first corner and throws away the championship lead.

What a race, what a season!

1 - Perez
2 - Vettel
3- Gasly

Yes, as others have said - that's the trouble with F1 nowadays, it's just a boring procession...

:wrong::wrong::wrong:

D

Deleted member 2719

As I have always said under real pressure Hamilton screws up the basics.

We have a season worth watching, when will Hamilton implode again???

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
A tightening up of regulations seeing the removal of the flexible rear wing for Red Bull & Ferrari seems to have put Mercedes in a dominant position in 1st practice. Could this pattern last for the rest of the season? Time will tell.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Red Bulls are without doubt the best car this season, gonna be interesting to see how Lewis copes with it. Seems to be struggling again this weekend and being outpaced by Bottas too.

Intriguing qualifying coming up I think. Max nearly a second quicker than anyone in last practice session

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That was a great qualifying, Hamilton's pace much better than it has been so far this weekend, he's sorted the handling it seems

Verstappen, Hamilton, Bottas, Perez

Nicely set up for tommorow, this is turning into a really competitive season

D

Deleted member 2719

That was a great qualifying, Hamilton's pace much better than it has been so far this weekend, he's sorted the handling it seems

Verstappen, Hamilton, Bottas, Perez

Nicely set up for tommorow, this is turning into a really competitive season

Yes, it surprising how competitive it can be when you have another team with a competitive car.:wink:

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
Going to be very tight finish. Mercedes messed up strategy again.

Totally outclassed by team thinking.

No world championship for Lewis this year.

Verstappen is a brilliant driver but Red Bull are so much smarter than Mercedes.

Last edited:

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
I think the Mercs have got their strategy wrong - I can't see Lewis holding on, but if anyone can it's probably him.

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
F1 not just a procession this year. Good racing and strategy, Verstappen the man to beat now.

GREASED WEASEL

Dec 10, 2017
Bottas stitched up again on strategy

It's like Mercedes would rather Verstappen beat Hamilton rather than his own team mate :mad:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here