Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tyrone Mings

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Anyone who wanted to see Dunk in that squad needs their head tested.
IMAGINE losing Dunk at the moment if he got injured.

This. Said it before, and I'll say it again. I really feel for Lewis not getting the call up he deserves, but purely selfishly with BHA specs on, good.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Anyone who wanted to see Dunk in that squad needs their head tested.
IMAGINE losing Dunk at the moment if he got injured.

Yes there is obviously a lot of sense in what you say and from our selfish point of view, you are exactly right. It's a shame personally for Dunk and White though.

And for the long term development of our club, we need our current and future players to see they can get in the England squad while playing for Brighton.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Has [MENTION=457]sheebo[/MENTION] arrived on this thread to post the equivalent of

So Excited

:smile:

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
It's beyond a piss take now.

Dunk, White and Webster are all much better than, not just Dier, but also Mings and Coady. The squad is an insult to decent, talented professionals like our centre backs.

Agreed on Dier (my Spurs mate absolutely rants when he gets picked at CB for Spurs or England) and Mings. I've not see enough of Coady recently I must admit. Wolves always seem to be on in games where they are playing a game I think will be crap or is on at the wrong time or where Mrs GB has had enough of me watching footy.

It's ridiculous he's not being questioned more about his selections. Because he's a nice guy and chummy with the press he gets away with it. Did you hear Henry Winter on Albion Unlimited this week fawning over Southgate?! Sickening. Winter is a bright guy but he's been totally sucked in by him.

His comments about TAA are a joke. His comments and selections since he's been in the job are not consistent, he doesn't pick on form. Like most England managers before him, he has his favourites (players, clubs and u21's) and will just stick with them, regardless of form.

I was on the Albion Roar with Winter this season. He is VERY bright. Absolutely nailed the issues with VAR and crowds missing from lockdown football and was on point with his assessment of our forwards. However, if he has said that about Southgate then I disagree with him. Southgate is a bang average coach and his reason for picking players in NEVER transparent.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
It's beyond a piss take now.

Dunk, White and Webster are all much better than, not just Dier, but also Mings and Coady. The squad is an insult to decent, talented professionals like our centre backs.

It's ridiculous he's not being questioned more about his selections. Because he's a nice guy and chummy with the press he gets away with it. Did you hear Henry Winter on Albion Unlimited this week fawning over Southgate?! Sickening. Winter is a bright guy but he's been totally sucked in by him.

His comments about TAA are a joke. His comments and selections since he's been in the job are not consistent, he doesn't pick on form. Like most England managers before him, he has his favourites (players, clubs and u21's) and will just stick with them, regardless of form.

Which I would accept more easily if he hadn't talked so much early on in his tenure about not doing that! He uses it as and when it suits (e.g.TAA) but Lingard?? been good for a few weeks and that's it for two seasons! I have always enjoyed following England, but struggling with Southgate who has backed himself into corners and doesn't ever seem to get called out on it.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Which I would accept more easily if he hadn't talked so much early on in his tenure about not doing that! He uses it as and when it suits (e.g.TAA) but Lingard?? been good for a few weeks and that's it for two seasons! I have always enjoyed following England, but struggling with Southgate who has backed himself into corners and doesn't ever seem to get called out on it.

It seems that you can ride on the back of a WC semi-final for years. Untouchable

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Wonder if March and Webster would have had a chance if they were fit. Think they would have been the most likely Brighton players to get selected.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Wonder if March and Webster would have had a chance if they were fit. Think they would have been the most likely Brighton players to get selected.

Although I believe he picked March when he was in charge of the England Under 21s, this is the most likely reason Brighton players are overlooked. Being a goon with favourites won’t help either.

FF8AE46E-7DBB-4402-988D-9F94AA69A5F9.jpeg

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Exactly what dirt has he got on Southgate?! It's getting a bit silly now.

Defender in a team that sits ninth in the table over a defender in a team that sits 16th ???

Southgate’s love of his ex club Villa has also meant he’s picked Watkins who has looked like a Championship striker every time I’ve seen him this season.

Scored 10 EPL goals already this season, in a team that sits ninth in the table ???

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why is Southgate overlooking Tammy Abraham in favour of Watkins and Calvert-Lewin? Southgate has even confirmed Bamford would be brought in as reserve, ahead of Abraham.

Abraham has done little wrong, other than to lose his place in the Chelsea team to a bloke they paid £48 million for who they are determined to pick come what may. Abraham has outscored Werner in Prem and the Cups and there is no indication Abraham is any less potent, yet he has fallen down the pecking order because Southgate prefers 'in-form' Watkins and Calvert-Lewin who have virtually NIL international experience.

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
This. Said it before, and I'll say it again. I really feel for Lewis not getting the call up he deserves, but purely selfishly with BHA specs on, good.

Totally agree which is why I said 'that' squad.
If we had everyone fit then it's a lot different.
Losing Dunk through injury at the moment would be catastrophic.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
Defender in a team that sits ninth in the table over a defender in a team that sits 16th ???

Scored 10 EPL goals already this season, in a team that sits ninth in the table ???

Got to go with you on this, I had fake noise off in the home game against Villa and all I could here was Mings voice - constantly organizing, giving useful info to team mates all over the pitch. I’ve not massively rated him, but since that game watching out for him now he is a very good organizer and has made all the difference to that Villa defence.

Dunk as much as I love him has made far too many errors this season to come into consideration for England this time round.

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
Even without Brighton tinted glasses on Dunk is far superior to Mings as a centre back. & Dier makes it into the squad again while having an awful Spurs season.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Even without Brighton tinted glasses on Dunk is far superior to Mings as a centre back. & Dier makes it into the squad again while having an awful Spurs season.

I think Dunk is well good enough to be in the England Squad. I like him a lot.

However he won't get back in the squad whilst Southgate is the Manager.

Southgate got him into a squad in the past. He obviously looked at him in closer quarters during training etc. For some reason he just doesn't fancy him and constantly has overlooked him ever since that one time. I don't see him changing his mind now.

Big mistake on Southgates' part in my opinion.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Got to go with you on this, I had fake noise off in the home game against Villa and all I could here was Mings voice - constantly organizing, giving useful info to team mates all over the pitch. I’ve not massively rated him, but since that game watching out for him now he is a very good organizer and has made all the difference to that Villa defence.

Dunk as much as I love him has made far too many errors this season to come into consideration for England this time round.

You mean the game we kept beating the Villa defence and their keeper got man of the match and kept them in the game?

He’s a good talker but a shocking player. As mentioned previously, if you’re going to pick a Villa player, you would go with Konsa, a much, much better player.

I agree Dunk has had off games this season but he’s still 10x the player Mings is. As are Webster and White.

Overall Webster is our best defender and if was fit, he should be a shoo-in for the England squad but you just know Southgate wouldn’t have picked him.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
You can't pick different players every squad, that would be ridiculous, and you can't chop and change so close to the euros. This is who Southgate has picked and its fair enough to stick with it. Its not as if they deserve to be dropped based on England performances.

Fwiw I think Mings is a very good player but I'm not sure what he's done to stand out ahead of many others who have been doing it at top level a lot longer than him. It's not as if he's some young guy with a big development path ahead of him. But like I say, nothing against him and he's played pretty well against us in the last couple of games, and as he's in the squad hasn't done anything to be jettisoned.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s just hilarious that with all the defensive talent we have in this country, not least at our own club, that the best of the best Center backs Southgate can come up with includes Mings / Coady / Dier.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
It’s just hilarious that with all the defensive talent we have in this country, not least at our own club, that the best of the best Center backs Southgate can come up with includes Mings / Coady / Dier.

Think Coady is quite good but Burnley are another club who can claim they have at least 2 centre backs who are better than Mings & Dier.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here