Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Lawn growing

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
There's been a bit of coverage in the news this week since Monty Don made some ignorant and hypocritical comments about lawns!

Are there any lawn growers on here?

I decided to sort mine out as it's been neglected since moving to my current house. Loads of decent lawn channels on YouTube so I've been following their advice about scarifying, aerating and seeding.

I'm south facing but with a couple of shady areas, I identified the existing grass as browntop bent which looks a bit sh1t on its own. I suspect it's from some old turf laid 30 years ago and was the only thing to survive the droughts in the summer. I've seeded mostly with a dwarf ryegrass mix for the main area as it's heavy traffic. There's some less trodden shady areas where I went for a fescue mix.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets on this summer but expecting to take me a couple of years to get it perfect, if ever!

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
There's been a bit of coverage in the news this week since Monty Don made some ignorant and hypocritical comments about lawns!

Are there any lawn growers on here?

I decided to sort mine out as it's been neglected since moving to my current house. Loads of decent lawn channels on YouTube so I've been following their advice about scarifying, aerating and seeding.

I'm south facing but with a couple of shady areas, I identified the existing grass as browntop bent which looks a bit sh1t on its own. I suspect it's from some old turf laid 30 years ago and was the only thing to survive the droughts in the summer. I've seeded mostly with a dwarf ryegrass mix for the main area as it's heavy traffic. There's some less trodden shady areas where I went for a fescue mix.

I'm looking forward to seeing how it gets on this summer but expecting to take me a couple of years to get it perfect, if ever!

Need pictures of lawn before, so we can really appreciate the 'after'. Get out there with your phone and get them posted up here. Or on the gardeners thread above :thumbsup:

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm a proud lawn man - other residents in the close all seeking to have theirs look like mine.

I found the Lawn Expert guide an excellent source of advice <link>, but, yes, YouTube also has plenty of good videos for advice.

Best advice from me: know your timing!
Know when to cut and when not to cut
Know when to water
Know when to feed
Know when to scarify
Know when to aerate
Know when to sow new seed

It's a seasonal game ...
But [I find] quite rewarding ....

May 5, 2020
Sussex
God bless you lawn enthusiasts!
It's been on my mind lately just how many gardens and front gardens I'm seeing being turned into concrete yards or carparking spaces,which will only get worse with the arrival of electric.
It's nice to see some people are still keen to devote themselves to tending to the few bits of nature left.
Fantastic.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
I have no idea why, but I read this as lawn GROPING!

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
In the process of trying to sort ours out at the moment. had some building work done on the house last summer and have a new patio, slightly extended from the old one, but lots of bare and grotty bits from where the builders stored stuff. Also a lot of unevenness and levels to be sorted, although we don't want a perfectly flat lawn either. Have done some small bits of turfing, and will need to do seeding as well around the edges and a couple of smaller bare bits. Wondering if seed all round might have been better at the moment.

But looking forward to progressing it and sorting it out - not for the perfect lawn, but something that the grandchildren - 8, 4 and 2, - can happily runnaround on without us getting upset or worried.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I've just sown some seeds of something I found on the internet. Japanese Knotweed? Have to say I'm pretty impressed. As a quick fix for covering up those bare patches on the lawn it's, um, pretty impressive :thumbsup:

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
This is a before an after of our lawn from last year. We just followed online advice, invested in good quality seed that suited our gardens aspect (north west) it took alot of effort, watering, feeding and regular mowing but was like a carpet by June, well worth the effort

20210317_145321.jpg

Just been leaving the lawn in patches for wildlife, have a pond with newts and a couple of bird boxes up. Bug hotel and wood pile cuttings for their pleasure, will be planting up native shrubs around the lawn. Using no pesticides in the garden. We get visited by a hedgehog and can hear him crunching on snails. There's more to a garden than a lawn, let it grow:hilton:

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Just been leaving the lawn in patches for wildlife, have a pond with newts and a couple of bird boxes up. Bug hotel and wood pile cuttings for their pleasure, will be planting up native shrubs around the lawn. Using no pesticides in the garden. We get visited by a hedgehog and can hear him crunching on snails. There's more to a garden than a lawn, let it grow:hilton:

Absolutely THIS

Jack Straw

I look nothing like him!
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton. NOT KEMPTOWN!
110 sq m of CB Winter turf arriving tomorrow. :eek:

Planks, rakes, tea all at the ready. :)

The secret of turf laying assuming that the ground has been prepared properly, is to ensure that the soil is moist to a depth of at least 150 mm. This time of year shouldn't be a problem, but in Spring and Summer, this is absolutely crucial.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
This is a before an after of our lawn from last year. We just followed online advice, invested in good quality seed that suited our gardens aspect (north west) it took alot of effort, watering, feeding and regular mowing but was like a carpet by June, well worth the effort

View attachment 134958

seriously impressive.

How did you even start.

Mine looks like your before

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol

View attachment 134958
After the first mow of the spring, mine now looks like yours did in the top left photo :( as someone who's pretty new to this garden stuff, any tips?

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
Update with some pictures!!!!

The other half teases me constantly but I take regular photos for some before and afters. When you're appreciating all your efforts in mid summer its nice to remind yourself where it all started, what went well/badly and definitely motivates you to put in the hard graft the following spring.

For me gardening is a huge pleasure, I spend the winter dreaming up over ambitious plans and when everything is in full bloom I find you're prolonging the best months of the year because you're on borrowed time before it all starts dieing back.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here