Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Maheta Molango set to Replace Gordon Taylor at PFA

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
The article is behind a paywall https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...heta-molango-as-new-chief-executive-fkjw5khlt

A former player from Switzerland called Maheta Molango is set to be unveiled as the surprise choice to succeed Gordon Taylor as the chief executive of the Professional Footballers’ Association.

The selection of Molango, 38, follows a lengthy selection process for the £500,000-a-year post. He played a handful of matches in England’s lower leagues between 2004 and 2007 before qualifying as a lawyer. He spent four years as chief executive of the Spanish side Real Mallorca until being sacked a year ago.

The appointment has raised some eyebrows in the game after he was chosen above the PFA’s chairman Ben Purkiss, who first initiated the process to oust Taylor, and Gareth Farrelly, the former Everton player who now works as a lawyer.

attila

1997 Club
Jul 17, 2003
South Central Southwick
When he was injured at Withdean he'd pop into the PA box sometimes and I had a few chats with him. He came across as an extremely clever, articulate bloke with a real all round grasp of football and he can speak vast amounts of languages. Of course if how many goals you've scored for a big club is the main qualification for the job then he wouldn't being in the running.... but it isn't, it it? It's being able to represent your fellow professionals, and he would be an ideal candidate on that score.

Reminds me of the Italian manager who, like Molango, only had a bit part as a player, who was asked how he could manage top level professionals given his previous status.

His reply is my favourite quote in football.

'I didn't realise that in order to be a jockey you had to have been a horse first. '

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Well done Maheta.

Make sure you don't come down to hard on your former employers in future negotiations

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
When he was injured at Withdean he'd pop into the PA box sometimes and I had a few chats with him. He came across as an extremely clever, articulate bloke with a real all round grasp of football and he can speak vast amounts of languages. Of course if how many goals you've scored for a big club is the main qualification for the job then he wouldn't being in the running.... but it isn't, it it? It's being able to represent your fellow professionals, and he would be an ideal candidate on that score.

Reminds me of the Italian manager who, like Molango, only had a bit part as a player, who was asked how he could manage top level professionals given his previous status.

His reply is my favourite quote in football.

'I didn't realise that in order to be a jockey you had to have been a horse first. '

Also as someone who never made it to the top he may be better placed to represent all the lower league players.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
He's a very clever chap. Good luck ex-Seagull...and yes, that goal v Reading. Euphoria lasted about a minute if I recall (similar to when Murray put us ahead v Man C few seasons ago)

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
Not really. Tho I did happen to catch his 12 second Albion career.

Looking forward to Phil Stant being appointed head of UEFA in a fortnight :thumbsup:

Keep digging. What do you know of MM’s competence for the role?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Looking forward to Phil Stant being appointed head of UEFA in a fortnight :thumbsup:

Come on! You're just being silly now.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away

That doesn't really answer why you think Maheta Molango is an absurd choice to be in charge of the PFA.

Though i'm guessing people are starting to form their own opinion

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
From Wikipedia:

Having obtained a LL.B and B.A. Political Science from Charles III University of Madrid, he joined the employment law department of the Madrid office of Baker & McKenzie in April 2007.[23] In January 2008 he moved to the United States to study for the LL.M program in International Legal Studies at the American University Washington College of Law graduating in 2009 whilst also being the recipient of the college's Rubin Scholarship.[23] Returning to Madrid and Baker & McKenzie, he played part-time football in the 2009–2010 season for FC Villanueva del Pardillo in group one of the Preferente before moving on to join their divisional counterparts Unión Adarve for the 2010–2011 season.

Until 2020, Molango was the Chief Executive Officer of RCD Mallorca, a Spanish football club plays in La Liga.[24]

As others have said, having played as a professional in the lower leagues and then having that subsequent legal career seems to make him a (surprisingly) good choice. Nice to see a senior position in English football NOT being filled from within the old boys club for once.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
That doesn't really answer why you think Maheta Molango is an absurd choice to be in charge of the PFA.

Though i'm guessing people are starting to form their own opinion

I do hope you're not infering what I THINK you're infering? ??? I'll have you know that some of my best friends are Swiss-Congolese lawyers

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I do hope you're not infering what I THINK you're infering? ??? I'll have you know that some of my best friends are Swiss-Congolese lawyers

Just explain why you think it would be an “absurd appointment” so we can all move on

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here