Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wellbeck

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Lets face it he hasn't really had a decent run of games and been interrupted by injury. He's a class act if he can stay fit.

He didn't get all those England caps including World Cup finals because he is crap.
As my Arsenal brother in law said to me, he does not score a great deal of goals but he does so much more in the final third than most forwards, but only if he can avoid his history of injuries.
Most players have egos and if I had his experience I would be totally pissed off if Connolly started ahead of me if I was fit enough to start.
I think today proved his point, and Lallana can read a player like Welbeck all day long.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Wonderful today. Really weird one, I stupidly looked at the comments on our Twitter after the teams announced from the ‘cool kids’ - like a collection of the negative posters from NSC. But one thing stood out - a few posts / hate / OTT comments about Welbeck, and I just thought ‘what the hell?!’. Haven’t noticed him being particularly bad / barely on the pitch. So really don’t get him being the latest scapegoat.

Ps - then I just found this thread and realised it was an NSC led thing too :facepalm:

Attitude seems good always for me. Few class touches.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I’ve said it a few times now but I am a big Welbeck fan. When he’s fit and get’s a run, he is a big, big plus for us. I don’t think he can be judged too much on the sub appearances when he’s come back from injury.

I think he’s done well in all the game’s he’s started. Yes would like him to have scored more but as well as the 2 he has got, his hold up and link up play with others and his movement is always mpressive, that was an assist today and he’s won penalties in the last game against Southampton and at home to Liverpool.

With Maupay looking exhausted, he’s going to be really important for us.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Up there with Leon Best in terms of shocking strikers in the Amex era for me. The fact we are paying him over £70k a week possibly makes him even worse. How on earth are Tau or Zeqiri not getting on the pitch ahead of him? At least they both seem like he can be arsed to run about a bit. Btw I'm gonna misspell his name as "Wellbeck" in the title because I am always wrong about everything.

Welbeck.

Like many of us I had high hopes when Wellbeck signed, but other than Villa away, I’m struggling to think of another match when he had any impact ( did he touch the ball at all v Leicester?). May be he should have been given more opportunity, but I sense from the little I’ve seen of them, that Tau and Swiss Andy have greater desire - and I think that’s what we’ll need in the last few matches if we’re to stay up.

Welbeck.

True, Wellbeck is looking an expensive mistake at the moment.

But the same was true about Lallana recently.

I've not given up hope Danny can turn it around and contribute this season.

Either way, he won't be here next season

Welbeck.

He was effective and well done Potter, he at last changed things up front. Tried something different. Maupay? Tidy, and pleasing that he was sensible towards the end but well need more. I didnt mention his name here but I spell it "Wellbeck" everywhere cause I'm not half as clever as I think I am.

Welbeck.

Funny when Danny Murphy said he couldn't understand why Wellbeck was taken off as he still looked 'fresh'. No, he was just beginnng to curdle and Potter chenged it up perfectly.

Oh, and the reason he and Lallana don't play every week is because . . . . they are both made of glass. Hopefully, now, reinforced glass.

Welbeck.

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
I'm here to admit I had given up on him... but he proved his worth today and me wrong. Lovely interplay with Lallana, super assist, looked a class above. Maybe he's just not an impact sub and much more influential starting and then being subbed later on (same as Lallana). Well played that man.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Welbeck.

Welbeck.

Welbeck.

Welbeck.

Welbeck.

Daniel Nii Tackie Mensah Welbeck.

Apologies. I normally spell it 'ironically' as Wellbad. An unfortunate lexicological hybrid.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
This thread is priceless and sums up exactly the condition of albion fans this season.

It’s a weirdly binary world at the moment with seemingly no distance between the sublime and the ridiculous.

I think the fact the OP couldn’t even spell his name right also speaks absolute volumes :lol: :facepalm:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Welbz and Lallana are different gravy to the rest of our squad when fit and on their games. Like today.

You're and Maupay played well also. The movement and knowing between them created a lot of space, main thing though is the speed of the touch and move, something we lack so often. Normally it's touch touch pass into a crowded area. The second goal had the same speed of thought as the one against Leeds, the Newcastle ones and so on. Too often we overplay something Trossard is a master at!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Just watched the extended highlights and noticed Welbzzzzz did the following (all one touch)

- set up Maupay for the shot which lead to the corner Dunk scored from
- flicked the ball beautifully to Burn and created the Gross good chance
- set up Tross for the winner.

I mentioned earlier bizarrely seeing people slating Welbeck before a ball was kicked yesterday (probably based on missing a pen ffs) but noted the date of this thread was 6th March after the Leicester match. Danny Welbeck came on as a substitute in the 79th min of that match! 79th min and earned this thread slating him. Jesus ****ing wept - exactly why many avoid this place after a disappointing defeat. Lord help us with some of our fans on here tbh. Ridiculous!

Well played yesterday Danny - really played a very, very key part in our win. :thumbsup:

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Just watched the extended highlights and noticed Welbzzzzz did the following (all one touch)

I mentioned earlier bizarrely seeing people slating Welbeck before a ball was kicked yesterday (probably based on missing a pen ffs) but noted the date of this thread was 6th March after the Leicester match. Danny Welbeck came on as a substitute in the 79th min of that match! 79th min and earned this thread slating him. Jesus ****ing wept - exactly why many avoid this place after a disappointing defeat. Lord help us with some of our fans on here tbh. Ridiculous!

Well played yesterday Danny - really played a very, very key part in our win. :thumbsup:

Thought his flick on to Burn was pass of game

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton

I agree with this but there were two minor errors.

For their goal, he really should have latched on to Adams as he was closest whilst Burn was man marking Vestergaard. Saying that, if Dunk had pushed up with the rest of the backline, Adams would have been hopelessly offside which was the scenario he may have been anticipating so no biggie.

Secondly, he had a goal scoring opportunity which he didn’t capitalise on. Zeqiri put the most amazing high speed cross into him from deep on the left. A little more anticipation and speed and he’d have had a tap in. He’ll know next time to run in on Zeqiri’s crosses at full beans!

Overall, he has more than earned his likely start on Saturday.

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
To date he will have cost us about £2m in wages and has got two goals and one assist. In almost every other appearance he has conspired to miss sitters and not run around much.

I’m glad he did well yesterday and hope he continues but I’m certainly not going to get too carried away from one performance. This thread reeks of the Potter olive branch. One good performance and history re-written.

Absolutely no one can say Welbz Albion career bar three matches at most hasn’t been a big disappointment to date. Let’s hope he can continue to earn his massive wages for the rest of the season in the same manner as yesterday.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
How much is a premier league point worth assuming 40 points for a club at our level, £3.5m?

I’d argue his assist yesterday for the two additional points has justified his wages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here