Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Wellbeck

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just to go against tide here, I actually don’t think either Welbeck or Zeqiri have been given a decent chance. 20 minutes here and there just isn’t long enough.

Maupay should have been rested weeks ago, and although he set up the goal yesterday once again he offered next to nothing in the box. Yes I know the offside goal, but it was offside.....

Welbeck has been available (= not injured) for 15 PL games, out of those he started 7 and got on as a sub in 7 and done little more than hiding and misfiring. Sure, the other strikers dont really have fantastic goal statistics either but at least they participate in the games.

Would prefer pretty much anyone (definitely including Zeqiri) instead of him but I guess the idea from GP is that this guy with his should convert all his experience and skill into something that could help the team in this precarious situation, but I'm increasingly leaning towards the idea that this youngster from the Swiss second division could provide more than this guy with 40+ caps for England

He's been disappointing. I never expected him to carry this team or to score a lot of goals, but I expected him to get involved in the games and lead by example but nopes.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong in the remaining games, he should be a good player but tbh its been quite a long while since he performed at this level.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Welbeck has been available (= not injured) for 15 PL games, out of those he started 7 and got on as a sub in 7 and done little more than hiding and misfiring. Sure, the other strikers dont really have fantastic goal statistics either but at least they participate in the games.

Would prefer pretty much anyone (definitely including Zeqiri) instead of him but I guess the idea from GP is that this guy with his should convert all his experience and skill into something that could help the team in this precarious situation, but I'm increasingly leaning towards the idea that this youngster from the Swiss second division could provide more than this guy with 40+ caps for England

He's been disappointing. I never expected him to carry this team or to score a lot of goals, but I expected him to get involved in the games and lead by example but nopes.

Hopefully he can prove me wrong in the remaining games, he should be a good player but tbh its been quite a long while since he performed at this level.

But prior to injury he was looking hungry, I just don’t feel he’s had much chance since, meanwhile Maupay who seemingly does little right in the penalty area is apparently untouchable. Personally, I’d also like to see Zeqiri, but if that’s not going to happen then I’d still give Welbeck a go.....

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Just to go against tide here, I actually don’t think either Welbeck or Zeqiri have been given a decent chance. 20 minutes here and there just isn’t long enough.

Maupay should have been rested weeks ago, and although he set up the goal yesterday once again he offered next to nothing in the box. Yes I know the offside goal, but it was offside.....

Agree re Swiss Andi But Welbz is an injury prone player whose game time has to be carefully managed
If you get 2/3 rds of a season out of him happy daze

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Potter is clueless bringing this lump on Maupay was actually having a half decent game for once last night. Along with the coach utter shite.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
TBH indicative of our failing recruitment that he was the only forward we could actually bring in of any note (Zeqiri is one for the future)

failing recruitment ? Well that is simply G/P fault,yes you have scouts but a Director of Football do me a favour the manager picks his player's to fit his team.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Like many of us I had high hopes when Wellbeck signed, but other than Villa away, I’m struggling to think of another match when he had any impact ( did he touch the ball at all v Leicester?). May be he should have been given more opportunity, but I sense from the little I’ve seen of them, that Tau and Swiss Andy have greater desire - and I think that’s what we’ll need in the last few matches if we’re to stay up.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
But prior to injury he was looking hungry, I just don’t feel he’s had much chance since, meanwhile Maupay who seemingly does little right in the penalty area is apparently untouchable. Personally, I’d also like to see Zeqiri, but if that’s not going to happen then I’d still give Welbeck a go.....

Welbeck hasn’t been THAT bad. And yes, he hasn’t had that much of a chance since his injury.
Not worth writing him off yet, although he’s never going to be Harry Kane.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I am in need of an olive branch from the Potter Outers tonight, poor old GP is being ripped to shreds by some posters :down:

But I am in agreement that Welbeck is pants

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I am in need of an olive branch from the Potter Outers tonight, poor old GP is being ripped to shreds by some posters :down:

But I am in agreement that Welbeck is pants

6 points from the next 2 games and the haranguing will all but stop. 2 points or less and it will reach a deafening crescendo..

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
failing recruitment ? Well that is simply G/P fault,yes you have scouts but a Director of Football do me a favour the manager picks his player's to fit his team.

Think this is the first time I’ve seen you post when it hasn’t been a shit thread you’ve started.

I’ll give it to you. Your posts are consistently shit when they’re replies too.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Welbeck hasn’t been THAT bad. And yes, he hasn’t had that much of a chance since his injury.
Not worth writing him off yet, although he’s never going to be Harry Kane.

I agree for what it’s worth. He and perhaps Andone or Tau may just come good in our hour of need. Maupay and Connolly need a period out whether injured or not.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton

'Just to go against tide here, I actually don’t think either Welbeck or Zeqiri have been given a decent chance. 20 minutes here and there just isn’t long enough.'

I don't disagree. Funnily enough, I've had the same view about Ali J.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
I am a massive Welbz fan, he's an absolute class act, you saw the difference when he came into the team at the beginning of the season, he's had some cruel luck with injuries and given our lack of goals there is a massive pressure on a player who isn't a natural goalscorer.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Valid points
agreed

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
'Just to go against tide here, I actually don’t think either Welbeck or Zeqiri have been given a decent chance. 20 minutes here and there just isn’t long enough.'

Yes, he has been sub and brought on for 20 minutes most of the season, or injured (not Potters fault). Potter should have created more competition up front and given him games but he always starts with Maupay, despite none of the forwards scoring. Very odd.

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006

Welbz has injury issues Swiss Andi not so much
So give the lad a go
The worst that happens is everyone disses him on the internet and his confidence plummets
Or he hits the ground running and the sky’s the limit

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here