Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Telegraph article on the Albion wastefulness in front of goal

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
are they using their own brain? or is it yours?

The Swanny love-in when he is clearly incorrect deserves your ire. Not someone swimming against the lemming tide...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
No you are over-complicating a ****ing obvious problem. You are the one who needs a reality check, and stop spouting endless excuses for our failings up front3 you and your sheep-like cronies.

:lol:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
With all of these psychological problems we must be top of the list for 'big chances missed': https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/clubs/big_chance_missed?se=363 , or our strikers must be: https://www.premierleague.com/stats/top/players/big_chance_missed

Apparently not. Maupay in 15th, Welbeck 22nd, Connolly 29th, Trossard 40th. Team in seventh. Our strikers miss as many decent chances as their peers do.

Our issue is the quality of chances. You can get a high Xg from either creating a good number of good chances, or a huge number of poor quality chances. In the last few games we did the latter. Our average number of shots per game was 12 over the season up until mid February. This went up by 66% or more in the last three games. Yes we should have scored one of the three golden chances against WBA, but on the whole we were hitting shots through packed penalty areas because our patient build up against teams playing a low block always means that we are doing our midfield passing in big spaces and our finishing in very small spaces.

We haven't got a Zola type striker who can make space for himself, but we are playing against defensive teams in a way that would suggest we have. Its the equivalent of putting loads of high crosses into the box if we did have Zola. We have strikers who are happiest playing with the ball in front of them, turning and outpacing or holding off defenders, but we can't play in the way that gives them these opportunities if teams sit back. If we are going to continue playing this way, we need to be signing a special teams sub who excels at working in tight spaces in the box. United had the same weakness against the low block and signed Cavani. What's Javier Hernandez's up to these days?

And yet.. there was another thread which clearly showed via XG stats that our strikers are misfiring. I will stick with those stats, because that is what everyone can see with their eyes (except the NSC herd)... we are currently a laughing stock for our poor finishing... those laughing are experienced ex players but, no, the NSC ‘genius’ posters know better! [emoji6]

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021
Has to be said that there's a few on here that think football is still the same as it was in the 70s. I'm sure they were the ones shouting "Get it forward" when we started playing possession based football under Gus. I bet they shut up once we started winning playing that way tho. Charlie Hughes last few disciples.

FYI. In the 1980's I used to say "stop hoofing it" and shook my head in disbelief when the England manager would leave Barnes, Hoddle or Waddle on the bench because they were "luxury players" ("football people" knowing sod all about football isn't anything new). Under Poyet I was relieved we had a manager who believed in passing the ball to the bloke in the same shirt. I also shook my head when someone bought CMS because they thought he was a better forward than Murray, when it was obvious within half an hour of watching CMS that he was nowhere near the forward Murray was. Some people know football, some people read statistics without context and just don't understand the game. Maupay, Connolly and Welbeck have all been garbage this season, their finishing ability inept but our midfield have won the midfield battle almost every game.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
It's not how we play it's how we finish. Both Connolly and Maupay have with regularity missed one on one's with the keeper and blazed over the bar when in the box. As well as just hitting it as hard as they can without being aware of the keepers position. Let's just call it how it is. Poor finishing.

I'll bite re Connolly. He hasn't had the opportunity to to miss anything regularly. He has only started 9 games. He has only finished 3 games. He has only come on as a sub in half a dozen games, some not even in double figures for minutes. He's scored a couple of goals, had an assist and is what you might call a pest who disrupts defences with his pace and edge and draws fouls in dangerous positions. Name me a striker in the Prem who doesn't snatch a shot or sky it over the bar occasionally. Finally, he was only 21 in January. Don't expect Shearer like finishing from him. He needs time to develop and not snide comments from 'fans' like you. Elsewhere you have slagged him off as a man who draws a wage, so we can expect better. In fact, he's just a kid making his way in the game. I really don't get why some have turned against him so early in his career.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Long- ball merchant back in the eighties who i believe was once Director of coaching at the FA

Invented the POMO position(position of maximum opportunity)

The far post to you and me

I preferred you classy play TBH. And that of our current team TBH

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Obviously, any player in our team scoring a goal for us is good news. But our club’s leaders need to focus on the primary issue, which is our strikers failing to convert the gilt-edge chances constantly being made for them. Deflecting from this issue is unproductive IMHO.

Eh? This is a bb chat not a boardroom meeting :moo:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
FYI. In the 1980's I used to say "stop hoofing it" and shook my head in disbelief when the England manager would leave Barnes, Hoddle or Waddle on the bench because they were "luxury players" ("football people" knowing sod all about football isn't anything new). Under Poyet I was relieved we had a manager who believed in passing the ball to the bloke in the same shirt. I also shook my head when someone bought CMS because they thought he was a better forward than Murray, when it was obvious within half an hour of watching CMS that he was nowhere near the forward Murray was. Some people know football, some people read statistics without context and just don't understand the game. Maupay, Connolly and Welbeck have all been garbage this season, their finishing ability inept but our midfield have won the midfield battle almost every game.

Couldn’t agree more.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I'll bite re Connolly. He hasn't had the opportunity to to miss anything regularly. He has only started 9 games. He has only finished 3 games. He has only come on as a sub in half a dozen games, some not even in double figures for minutes. He's scored a couple of goals, had an assist and is what you might call a pest who disrupts defences with his pace and edge and draws fouls in dangerous positions. Name me a striker in the Prem who doesn't snatch a shot or sky it over the bar occasionally. Finally, he was only 21 in January. Don't expect Shearer like finishing from him. He needs time to develop and not snide comments from 'fans' like you. Elsewhere you have slagged him off as a man who draws a wage, so we can expect better. In fact, he's just a kid making his way in the game. I really don't get why some have turned against him so early in his career.

So you agree he is not yet up to standard?

Charity Shield 1910

Jan 4, 2021

It's not snide, it's judging by what they deliver. He burst onto the scene and I had high hopes. The game against Spurs seems light years away now. He has not produced. He is not a child, he's old enough if he is good enough. He just has not been good enough, and he has to be honest about that. He has to take his chances and if he had this season he would be in the side. I agree however that picking Maupay every week has been bad management. Connolly, Welbeck and Maupay equally should all be fighting for their place because they have all been as bad as each other. There isn't any point in failing to face up to it.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Eh? This is a bb chat not a boardroom meeting :moo:

Leaders was a bit loose. How about Potter and his coaching team?

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Has to be said that there's a few on here that think football is still the same as it was in the 70s. I'm sure they were the ones shouting "Get it forward" when we started playing possession based football under Gus. I bet they shut up once we started winning playing that way tho. Charlie Hughes last few disciples.
Yet Hughton has been are most successful manager for decades :shrug:

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
And yet.. there was another thread which clearly showed via XG stats that our strikers are misfiring. I will stick with those stats, because that is what everyone can see with their eyes (except the NSC herd)... we are currently a laughing stock for our poor finishing... those laughing are experienced ex players but, no, the NSC ‘genius’ posters know better! [emoji6]

My post was trying to drill down into why and how they are missing, not to claim that they aren't missing. You seem so intent on arguing with people on here that you do it even when people aren't actually disagreeing with you.

By the way. There is no NSC clique. There are just lots of people with myriad points of view. Trying to pretend that all of those who disagree with your view are an organised cadre out to do you down is a dishonest way of arguing that distracts from your actual point. You are not a brave voice arguing with the establishment, you are just another poster with yet another opinion: exactly the same as the rest of us.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
how did you pull WWII into this? :clap2::clap2::clap2: :moo::mad:

and no germans mentioned .... yet..

Beggars belief - i think Connolly and Maupay could do a lot better but lalana was brought in as a creator AND goal scorer and Wekllbeck to add goals. Pretty sure the stats indicate Wellbeck has missed more than Connolly. In Potters style of play Maupay is a major contributor in every department other than goals.

neilbard

Hedging up
Oct 8, 2013
Tyringham
and no germans mentioned .... yet..

Beggars belief - i think Connolly and Maupay could do a lot better but lalana was brought in as a creator AND goal scorer and Wekllbeck to add goals. Pretty sure the stats indicate Wellbeck has missed more than Connolly. In Potters style of play Maupay is a major contributor in every department other than goals.

Yep, glad he's not paid to be a striker..:ffsparr:

That said, he'll probably bag a brace tonight..:bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here