Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] 1% Pay Rise for Nurses.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010

abc

Jan 6, 2007
The central issue is this:

Will people support an increase in income tax to give NHS staff (and other key workers to be fair) a larger pay rise? Personally I would but I suspect most tax payers would not. But any increase has to be paid for and right now we cant simply increase debt beyond the already frightening levels.

If Starmer came out and said we will commit to (say) a 5% pay rise for key workers and we will raise income tax by 1% for everyone to pay for it, he would get my respect and vote.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
A quick scan of this thread and I see the usual names arguing with anyone and everyone, defending the indefensible and making it all about them. Anyone who thinks a 1% pay rise isn't a massive slap in the face for NHS staff and the nation as a whole is frankly, a wrong 'un. However, from this despicable and shameless government, it was depressingly predictable.

I agree it is a huge slap in the face but while there's so many who are getting nothing it's always going to upset someone. Giving them a one off bonus I believe would sit more comfortably with everyone.

That bonus though has got to be worth it. £1500 to all staff in NHS would cost about 2bn which in the scheme of things is not a lot.

They deserve something better than 1%

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
A50CB9A6-FBFC-452F-B3F2-B3CF3C0B3D0F.jpeg

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The central issue is this:

Will people support an increase in income tax to give NHS staff (and other key workers to be fair) a larger pay rise? Personally I would but I suspect most tax payers would not. But any increase has to be paid for and right now we cant simply increase debt beyond the already frightening levels.

If Starmer came out and said we will commit to (say) a 5% pay rise for key workers and we will raise income tax by 1% for everyone to pay for it, he would get my respect and vote.

This is where the they are out of touch. They should raise NI rates as this does indicate it's for the NHS, I know that it isn't in reality but sits better in joe public's mind.

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014
Does anyone actually believe, hand on heart, they gave £22 billion to a consultancy? I see it trotted out quite a lot, generally by people who despise the current government whatever they do. It simply isn't true.
Track and trace for a population of 60million is a huge task, I'm not surprise it's expensive to run.

https://fullfact.org/health/local-national-contact-tracing/

Does it really matter whether it was £10 billion or £22billion . It was handled very badly by the away the contract were awarded and by the way the system has run. There were glaring holes in it not least of all most people were not on the system. The success rates were not good either. You really shouldn't defend the indefensible.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Does it really matter whether it was £10 billion or £22billion . It was handled very badly by the away the contract were awarded and by the way the system has run. There were glaring holes in it not least of all most people were not on the system. The success rates were not good either. You really shouldn't defend the indefensible.

trouble is if people keep perpetuating and focusing on misinformation, they distract from genuine problems. if you dont ask the right questions, dont make the right challenge, the issues can be deflected. so while everyones focus is on a handful of contracts, the questions like why didnt test & trace prepare for schools returning dont get asked. might be important to know if they learnt and have adjusted.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

You’re right but it was about 600m the billions is spent on the testing. The app was a grotesque failure. It was always going to fail as in this country any such scheme will be dismissed by the huge amount of people. There is never a buy in to such projects and if a high percentage say no it’s doomed to fail.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I agree it is a huge slap in the face but while there's so many who are getting nothing it's always going to upset someone. Giving them a one off bonus I believe would sit more comfortably with everyone.

That bonus though has got to be worth it. £1500 to all staff in NHS would cost about 2bn which in the scheme of things is not a lot.

The only people I can see getting upset are the Tory die hards who would defend Boris if he took everyone’s first born and ploughed them into a pit. Everyone else seems rightly appalled at 1% and would be happy to pay more to give them a rise. It’ll be cheaper for everyone than having to pay for private care when the Tory’s run the NHS into the ground so they can sell it off. Sorry, they are already selling it off, it’s only a matter of time before those US health care companies want to see a return on their investment.....

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
trouble is if people keep perpetuating and focusing on misinformation, they distract from genuine problems. if you dont ask the right questions, dont make the right challenge, the issues can be deflected. so while everyones focus is on a handful of contracts, the questions like why didnt test & trace prepare for schools returning dont get asked. might be important to know if they learnt and have adjusted.

Problem comes whenever figures are given out constantly and they are wrong on all counts they eventually become a fact, we see so many times on here Dunk's on 60k a week, White's worth 35m etc it's all made up crap. Everyone does it though 350m on a bus or Abbot's 20m new police.

Figures are pluck out of the air I believe this 120%, yeah right.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
The only people I can see getting upset are the Tory die hards who would defend Boris if he took everyone’s first born and ploughed them into a pit. Everyone else seems rightly appalled at 1% and would be happy to pay more to give them a rise. It’ll be cheaper for everyone than having to pay for private care when the Tory’s run the NHS into the ground so they can sell it off. Sorry, they are already selling it off, it’s only a matter of time before those US health care companies want to see a return on their investment.....

I haven't seen many apart from the resident idiot defending it.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek

Couple of points here,pre Christmas Mrs LBG got a positive Covid result at the time I didn't have the NHS Track and Trace App so uploaded it and within minutes received a text from telling me that I have/am in contact with a positive person and was sent home from work so I don't know how it works but and I agree with you on how the contract was awarded however can you imagine the length of time if a contract of this nature was awarded through normal procedure,still be talking about it now. Yet you right about being unprepared the fiasco over getting vaccine staff set up and ready to go surely should have been organised months before the New Year roll out,the list goes on hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
I have seen on this thread, Ambulance drivers,teachers,policeman etc. As a matter of interest do people on here think that all people working for public services should be getting increases now before people have jobs back and economy is up and running

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks

The whole “Protect the NHS” line was thought out and planned

When this is all over and the review starts the line will be as a nation we can’t shut down again to protect the nhs and it needs to be changed.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Couple of points here,pre Christmas Mrs LBG got a positive Covid result at the time I didn't have the NHS Track and Trace App so uploaded it and within minutes received a text from telling me that I have/am in contact with a positive person and was sent home from work so I don't know how it works but and I agree with you on how the contract was awarded however can you imagine the length of time if a contract of this nature was awarded through normal procedure,still be talking about it now. Yet you right about being unprepared the fiasco over getting vaccine staff set up and ready to go surely should have been organised months before the New Year roll out,the list goes on hopefully there's light at the end of the tunnel.

The problem is that too many contracts were awarded to 'friends' of ministers, some of which only acted as middlemen. That stinks of corruption.

KeegansHairPiece

Jan 28, 2016
I have seen on this thread, Ambulance drivers,teachers,policeman etc. As a matter of interest do people on here think that all people working for public services should be getting increases now before people have jobs back and economy is up and running

Yes. We should stop seeing public services as the ones who pay for banking crises or pandemics. Do you think that there are no other tools at hand for raising the public purse? Didn’t touch the top rate of tax did he as an example. He’s raised corporation tax but that doesn’t apply for a few years. What about a higher rate of CT for certain size of profit? Actually I’m not an economics person, but it feels there are other avenues when wealth is still massively increasing for many through this pandemic.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

Scotland are giving them all £500.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here