Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Would you prefer to be in Southampton’s position?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
They are very catchable still this season. However long term I believe they are obviously a much bigger club and seem to be well established in the prem. So with that in mind, I would love one day to be like saints but playing the Brighton way.

I can't sit by and let this comment go, in no way are they a much bigger club than us! They're not even the biggest club in their county. I would say we're currently on a similar level and that we have the potential to be bigger than them. They also have some of the worst and most fickle fans in the country.

They obviously have more recent history than us in the top flight including a couple of high finishes which is why some people think they are this beacon club for us to aspire to, but looking overall at the two clubs - squads, academies, coaches, directors, ownership, fans, potential for growth - I would MUCH rather be in our position.

Last edited:

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Short term yes, medium and long term no.

Think it should be short, medium and long term yes. They are kind of the blueprint for where we want to be (mid-table with occasional flirtations with Europe, an academy that produces PL quality players on a regular basis, exciting managerial appointments who are renowned for their style).

Yes they're on a terrible run but they were 7th at Christmas, have been blighted by injuries since the turn of the year and are probably still only two wins from safety with Sheffield Utd, us, Burnley, WBA and Palace all coming up in their next six.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Neither Saints or Brighton are "massive" clubs, but both have a sufficient following to hold their own in the Premiership.
As for drawing power, Brighton have a far bigger potential than Southampton for attracting crowds.With Portsmouth and Bournemouth either side of them, Southampton have to compete with them to attract fans.
Brighton on the other hand have nearly the whole of Sussex to draw from.If you just add up the largest towns populations within a reasonable radius of Brighton,then that makes a total of around 1 million people.

:thumbsup:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Yes, but I'd rather have our squad and manager due to their potential and the average age of our players.

Stains are set fair to stay in the EPL. 9 seasons and counting, they seem to recruit okay and aren’t afraid to pay high wages for a proven scorer.

Hopefully we survive in May and push on, starting with a couple of players in the summer window to turn chances into wins.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Man City are going to be really angry tonight. Fingers crossed that they take their frustration out on Wednesday night with a 4 goal+ thriller.

It would be nice to face the Saints off a moral sapping massacre, I hope Man City thoroughly ruin them.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Looked ragged today. If it weren't for their great start, they would be right in it. After 8 games they were 4th with 16 points; since then taken 17 points from 21 games, relegation form. By comparison, Burnley taken 26 points from 22 games (they were on 7 played at same stage); Albion 23 points from 20; Fulham 22 points from 21; Newcastle 17 from 20.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Looked ragged today. If it weren't for their great start, they would be right in it. After 8 games they were 4th with 16 points; since then taken 17 points from 21 games, relegation form. By comparison, Burnley taken 26 points from 22 games (they were on 7 played at same stage); Albion 23 points from 20; Fulham 22 points from 21; Newcastle 17 from 20.

Hopefully Newcastle's form will continue until the end of the season!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Win on Saturday and we overtake them.

Just goes to show how the season is a marathon, not a sprint.

Indeed.

They have 3 games left against sides desperate for a Champions League place (Leicester, Liverpool & West Ham) and then a match against Fulham who could still be alive and kicking.

The only team we’ll be playing that has a lot to gain will be West Ham. The teams in our other fixtures will be playing for pride or extra EPL prize money by sneaking up the table a little. When we play them, City will be Champions and Arsenal will be comfortably mid-table.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here