Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Mandela Effect / False memories

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
In Sweden we have a well-known case of the Mandela effect.

At the mid-90s a football commentator supposedly said:

"Its looking dark on the bench of Cameroon".

He meant dark as in that they were in a bad mood, but people thought it was funny because... well, they were all pretty black.

This was quoted in several "funny" sports books and at some point around 2010 the Swedish people voted it as "the most famous Swedish sport quote". The commentator himself thought it was a little bit funny and silly.

But despite how "funny" it was, no one could find it on Youtube. A group of people started to look for it, and it didnt appear where it was supposed to be found (in one of Cameroons games in World Cup 94). They watched the TV recordings, the summaries on the news afterwards, even radio commentaries, before they even started to watch the recordings of the other African teams. Not finding anything they pretty much watched and listened to every single game showed on Swedish TV involving teams from Africa from the 80s onwards - but nothing. Years of research and investigation into what was the "most famous Swedish sports quote of all time".

Most people now accept it was never said, but once in a while someone turns up on the largest Swedish internet forum - Flashback - saying "I'm sure I saw and heard it", someone even describing exactly when they think it happened "England/other team just scored against Cameroon and they showed a picture of the bench and Arne Hegerfors said the quote". Every time they are proven wrong - sometimes accepting it, sometimes not.

This is a fascinating case of a shared false memory fooling literally millions of Swedes, and I find it very fascinating. Personally I was also dead certain I had heard and seen it until I looked at the extensive gathered evidence and had to accept that no, it was never said.

Anyone got similar experiences?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_memory

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
That’s four this half for Brighton and still only 15 minutes in.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
"Luke, I am your father " was never said. its actually "No, I am your father". doesnt make a lot of sense to quote that so people tag "Luke " prefix for context. years later people on the internet argue that this is proof of some alternative version of the film, or alternative history. daft really.

i'm pretty certain the Mandela effect was promoted as a social experiment, with loads of false memories seeded on forums to trigger the phenomena. positive i read someone admit as such with reference to the paper produced. cant find it though, its like a mandela effect... :moo:

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
I believe Sherlock Holmes never uttered the sentence "Elementary my dear Watson"

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
1980 FC Cup Final, live John Motson was clueless on who had scored, later on MOTD his commentary had been edited to name Brooking to give the impression he hnew what was going on. Since then all reruns have used the edited commentary.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
In Snow White it was never said "Mirror Mirror on the wall". It was actually "Magic Mirror on the wall".

Majority of people will still say it's Mirror Mirror.

Washie

Jun 20, 2011
Eastbourne
In Snow White it was never said "Mirror Mirror on the wall". It was actually "Magic Mirror on the wall".

Majority of people will still say it's Mirror Mirror.

Mirror Mirror is from the books. "Spieglein, Spieglein an der Wand, Wer ist die Schönste im ganzen Land?" So in every version of snow white is is mirror mirror except for the disney movie, hence why theis issue comes about

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Mirror Mirror is from the books. "Spieglein, Spieglein an der Wand, Wer ist die Schönste im ganzen Land?" So in every version of snow white is is mirror mirror except for the disney movie, hence why theis issue comes about

I'd think most people would only know the movie. But that's interesting none the less.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
1980 FC Cup Final, live John Motson was clueless on who had scored, later on MOTD his commentary had been edited to name Brooking to give the impression he hnew what was going on. Since then all reruns have used the edited commentary.

Not uncommon, I remember Motson re-recording his commentary in front of the dug outs at the Goldstone ground after the game before the interviews started.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Interesting UK related one:

diana.jpg

In Sweden its the same but with Estonia. Over 40% claim they've seen a video of the ship sinking but there is no video like that.

Almost frightening how easily manipulated (and self-manipulating) the brain is.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
Humphrey Bogart never said, "Play it Again Sam".

Jimmy Cagney never said, "You Dirty Rat"

Marie Antoinette never said, "Let them eat cake".

Captain Kirk never said, "Beam me up Scotty".

Marla Maples never said (Donald was the) "Best sex I've ever had".

Last edited:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
There's one in the US about the Berenstain bears.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
In The Lord of the Rings, in the book Gandalf says;

You cannot pass," he said. The orcs stood still, and a dead silence fell. "I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. You cannot pass. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! You cannot pass."

In the movie, he says

"You cannot pass! I am a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor. The dark fire will not avail you, flame of Udûn. Go back to the Shadow! YOU! SHALL NOT! PASS!"

At no point does he say "thou shalt not pass" or "thou shall not pass" in any Lord of the Rings media ever produced.

I suspect people confuse this with the Ten Commandments.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Don't tell him your name Pike

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A lot of people mistakenly think that the small blonde girl in specs that Jaws (metal-toothed assassin, not shark) hooks up with in Moonraker has braces on her teeth when she smiles at him. They’re puzzled when they see that she doesn’t.

Various YouTube videos insist that time and reality have been rewritten due to an experiment at CERN.

But surely the far likelier explanation is that the Bond film makers missed a trick. The girl should have had braces on her teeth as it would've been a fun link to Jaws. Viewers thought that and somehow a few of them added the braces in hindsight. Should have became did over the years.

I saw an original 1979 35mm release print of Moonraker and have seen it on TV, rental VHS, DVD, Blu Ray, and 4K on iTunes (I’m a big Bond fan). I don’t ever remember seeing braces on the girl. So either I’m a fugitive from a parallel universe or the Mandela Effect is a load of bollocks.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here