Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was our season determined in the summer transfer window

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If we’re looking for a “moment” this can all be pinned to, to me it was the decision to bin off Andone and Locadia a week or so after the transfer window shut in the summer of 2019 and then not replace them ever since.

Fine, Potter decided they weren’t the strikers he wanted - I’ve no real problem with that. But:

- Why spend the whole pre-season, entire transfer window and first couple of games acting as if they were part of the plans, if actually they weren’t?*

- Having then made that ‘bold’ call, why do nothing to replace them ever since, across three transfer windows now? (Unless you count bringing in Wellbeck, who - no disrespect - hardly smacks of a long-term/major plan).

*And in case anyone wants to leap in and say “it was all because of Andone’s reckless challenge against Southampton”, well, ok, but that seems to have become a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I’d say we’ve ended up punishing ourselves more than him for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Frankworthington

Jul 17, 2019
South Shields
If we’re looking for a “moment” this can all be pinned to, to me it was the decision to bin off Andone and Locadia a week or so after the transfer window shut in the summer of 2019 and then not replace them ever since.

Fine, Potter decided they weren’t the strikers he wanted - I’ve no real problem with that. But:

- Why spend the whole pre-season, entire transfer window and first couple of games acting as if they were part of the plans, if actually they weren’t?*

- Having then made that ‘bold’ call, why do nothing to replace them ever since, across three transfer windows now? (Unless you count bringing in Wellbeck, who - no disrespect - hardly smacks of a long-term/major plan).

*And in case anyone wants to leap in and say “it was all because of Andone’s reckless challenge against Southampton”, well, ok, but that seems to have become a classic case of cutting off your nose to spite your face. I’d say we’ve ended up punishing ourselves more than him for that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This with bells on

We have had THREE transfer windows since they were binned

Potter should have been backed with funds to buy replacements

Garfield

Feb 28, 2021
Welcome to the site Garfield. You sound quite battle-weary already.
You will be pleased to hear we don’t need strikers anyway.

Thanks, I realise I may have missed this subject previously, apologies if so, but it has been nagging away at me recently.

Don't need strikers? :)

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Wierd thread

Any disadvantage is purely down to the disappearance of the 1983 cup final money - FACT.

Accusations of a lack of ambition, ignore the fact we had an offer accepted in the summer on a highly rated 21 year old Uruguayan striker who chose Benfica over Brighton.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Money , even if we had matched Villas offer , we'd likely lose out to the Villa as a bigger club and more attractive cub to play for.

I think the AJ , Locadia failures have seriously burnt us + even spending a huge transfer fee doesn't guarantee goals.

We've had issues scoring from midfield mostly since we got promoted. I suspect those at the top thought this would be the season it changed so took a punt we didn't need spend big.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Wierd thread

Any disadvantage is purely down to the disappearance of the 1983 cup final money - FACT.

Accusations of a lack of ambition, ignore the fact we had an offer accepted in the summer on a highly rated 21 year old Uruguayan striker who chose Benfica over Brighton.

I agree with this and our bids for Nunez says to me that money was (and is) there for the right player who represents value, but not for the one which doesn't

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Money , even if we had matched Villas offer , we'd likely lose out to the Villa as a bigger club and more attractive cub to play for.

I think the AJ , Locadia failures have seriously burnt us + even spending a huge transfer fee doesn't guarantee goals.

We've had issues scoring from midfield mostly since we got promoted. I suspect those at the top thought this would be the season it changed so took a punt we didn't need spend big.

We were in a battle with Villa for Maupay last season weren’t we and he chose the Albion? Maybe we never made a made for Watkins? At the time Villa had “got away” with not being relegated last season whilst we finished reasonably comfortably. Pre season I imagine we would have seemed a better bet for a striker looking to make the step up

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
Its a fee potentially rising to £33m and he is probably on a very high wage compared to all or most Brighton players.

The fee is just one reason though. Dean Smith was his manager in Brentford and it would have been very tricky to compete with them in trying to make him pick Brighton over Villa.

The previous comment was above Toney not Watkins.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Its a fee potentially rising to £33m and he is probably on a very high wage compared to all or most Brighton players.

The fee is just one reason though. Dean Smith was his manager in Brentford and it would have been very tricky to compete with them in trying to make him pick Brighton over Villa.

Not according to the press "Brentford have completed a deal to sign Peterborough striker Ivan Toney for a reported fee of £5m rising up to £10m with add-ons."

I would have taken a punt on Ivan Toney at that price.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Not according to the press "Brentford have completed a deal to sign Peterborough striker Ivan Toney for a reported fee of £5m rising up to £10m with add-ons."

I think we were looking at him. There were rumours about our interest.

However, so many Championship strikers can be prolific at the lower level but can’t do the business in the Premier League. I don’t think Maupay is any worse than Toney despite the latter looking absolutely fantastic at the moment, perhaps the club are looking further afield to get some value this time?

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
I even suggested going for Toney but was laughed out of the building.

The £5m price tag (with another £5m in add ons) looks a snip, and I'd be surprised if he's not in the Prem next season either with Brentford, or for someone else for a fee far in excess of their £5m initial outlay. 24 years old, tall and quick which I felt would be worth taking a punt on, but most others thought we should have gone for Nunez and he's hardly pulling up any trees in Portugal in an inferior league (and cost 5 times that of Toney).

I said in the summer he would be the perfect type of forward for us but no sniff we even considered him. Oh well, I suppose he's only got 25 this season, so maybe's he's not all that.

We were right not to go for Toney. Do you really think he would score more than Maupay, who also scored loads in the Championship?

The Premier league is a huge step up from the Championship, on par with top level international football.

We should be looking at Strikers from lesser international teams who have scored against the likes of Spain, England and Germany.

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
We were right not to go for Toney. Do you really think he would score more than Maupay, who also scored loads in the Championship?

The Premier league is a huge step up from the Championship, on par with top level international football.

We should be looking at Strikers from lesser international teams who have scored against the likes of Spain, England and Germany.

Looks like now Leicester are interested at £35m so that would be too much for us anyway. Lets hope Zeqiri can be that rough diamond who turns into a swan.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Looks like now Leicester are interested at £35m so that would be too much for us anyway. Lets hope Zeqiri can be that rough diamond who turns into a swan.

Edouard is running down his contract. £15m should get him out of Celtic this Summer with just a year left there. I’d prefer him to Toney to be honest, especially at £20m cheaper.

Let’s hope the attraction of almost guaranteed first team action alongside the dozens of good chances we produce will swing him here instead of to Arsenal’s bench.

yxee

Oct 24, 2011
Manchester

Locadia wasn't good enough. Andone hard to judge I feel we don't have the full picture, I think it was a personality / dressing room coherence issue.

Yes we didn't buy immediately, but we did promote Connolley who has done okay, and we have since brought in Welbeck and Zeqiri.

The real question mark for me was shipping off Murray.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The previous comment was above Toney not Watkins.

Ah my bad, thought it was about Watkins. Agree on Toney, I said last summer that I preferred him above Edouard (Celtic). Neither came but Toney looks like he is the real deal. Not sure he would have scored any more in the PL than the current crop of strikers as L1 to PL is a huge step, but in time he will turn into a good PL striker.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maupay has 7

Watkins has 10

But isn't the point that Watkins would have played alongside Maupay rather than instead of? So really we should be comparing Watkins' 10 with the 2 of Trossard, Connolly or Welbeck.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
But isn't the point that Watkins would have played alongside Maupay rather than instead of? So really we should be comparing Watkins' 10 with the 2 of Trossard, Connolly or Welbeck.

And if those 8 goals had all been winners we'd now be in 7th place on 42 points, 19 clear of the relegation zone.

MUGS

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

and Bertrand Tafore has 4 ...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here