Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Was our season determined in the summer transfer window

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
This.

Antonio has 7. Mane has 7. Abraham has 6. Firmino has 6. Cavani has 6. Werner has 5. Che Adams has 4.Gabriel Jesus has 4.Richarlison has 4. Chris Wood has 4.

But Neal is a pathetic striker who is our main problem. He's performing at about the same rate as Lacazette, Giroud and Firmino normally do.

Up front isn't the problem. Our midfielders have the same amount of goals as Neal, combined. They also tend to have around double the amount of shots.

Agree with this though I would also say that Maupay isn't really assisting either. That obviously ties into your statement about our midfield being goal shy too.

Anotonio = 3
Mane = 3
Firmino = 5
Werner = 5
Jesus = 3
Richarlison = 3
Maupay = 1

I'm not trying to pin all of this on Maupay, it's obvious we have a scoring problem all over the pitch.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
I don't think it was last summer's transfer window, this problem was a slow train coming when GM became our source of goals. Understandably with the money spent on Andone and Locadia mobody was expecting a marque signing, but this risk started way before last summer. Yet again Championship strikers are being touted by some as the future transfer answer and whilst I have no doubt some will come up and succeed in the PL, you've got to expect relegation dog fight risk if that's the backbone of your plan. Adding PL experience that hasn't hit the back of the net in yonks either is like asking the blind to help the partially sighted across the road.

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Agree with this though I would also say that Maupay isn't really assisting either. That obviously ties into your statement about our midfield being goal shy too.

Anotonio = 3
Mane = 3
Firmino = 5
Werner = 5
Jesus = 3
Richarlison = 3
Maupay = 1

I'm not trying to pin all of this on Maupay, it's obvious we have a scoring problem all over the pitch.

That's because we can't pin it on Maupay. Maupay in 2014 you played 13 games and scored 1 goal. In 2015 you played15 and scored 1 goal, 2016 you played 28 and scored 11, 2017 you played 42 and scored 12 then your final Championship season you played 43 and scored 25. Pretty good. What do you think your scoring average will be at a higher level of football in the PL? I think about 12.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London

Anotonio = 3
Mane = 3
Firmino = 5
Werner = 5
Jesus = 3
Richarlison = 3
Maupay = 1

Yes, but hard to assist when the midfielders aren't scoring. Neal is actually our 5th highest performer when it comes to key passes (which Opta defines as; the final pass leading to the recipient of the ball having an attempt at goal) behind Gross, Trossard, March and Lallana. It implies that actually his assist rate is once again, more to do with the lack of goals elsewhere, than his performances. He should, based on his expected assists stats, be in line with Antonio on 3 assists so far.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Midfielders should be taking more of their chances

Strikers should be taking more of their chances.

Midfielders are on the whole playing well

Strikers are on the whole playing badly

I really can't see why there is anything contentious in this debate

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
Ah my bad, thought it was about Watkins. Agree on Toney, I said last summer that I preferred him above Edouard (Celtic). Neither came but Toney looks like he is the real deal. Not sure he would have scored any more in the PL than the current crop of strikers as L1 to PL is a huge step, but in time he will turn into a good PL striker.

Fair point but the jump in a couple of divisions can be made.

Did anyone of us see Sanchez (playing for Rochdale last season) making the step up (effectively 2 divisions) to take over from Ryan this season?

Garfield

Feb 28, 2021
Wierd thread

Any disadvantage is purely down to the disappearance of the 1983 cup final money - FACT.

Accusations of a lack of ambition, ignore the fact we had an offer accepted in the summer on a highly rated 21 year old Uruguayan striker who chose Benfica over Brighton.

Ha ha, nothing weirder, than harking back to 1983 imho! ???:moo:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
Might pay someone to pop up to Barnsley and have a look at Daryl Dike.
He is only on loan there. 20 years old and knows where the onion bag is.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here