Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Tony Bloom Just Sign a Proper Striker. End of.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Mac just needs to get a shot on target it’s either blocked or off target so annoying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I tihnk he had a few on target efforts blocked, as did AJ later, I'm sure there were a few others . . . . trouble is you need to work a bit quicker to utilise the gap.

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Newcastle United
£20 million on Callum Wilson - out injured
£40 million on Joelinton - flop
Andy Carrol less said the better.
Proof money isn't always a sure bet for goals.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Didn't PB say that the Albion weren't going to spend
£50 / £60 million on that elusive striker ???

Not a market we are in and from last summers rumours we were fishing in the £20-25m pond.

From a recruitment perspective we were linked with the right players just could not get the deals over the line. For example that Dia at Reims looks a real player but now out of our price range having now made a real name for himself in Ligue 1.

They are out there but will require a big transfer outgoing (Biss or White) to help fund.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
other teams are irrelevant

we have a semi broken ROmnian attitude problem, who is pretty good on his day, good enough if memory serves.

a 3/4 scale Irish lad who's a work in progress may/may not become good enough.

a 3/4 scale ZA lad, unknown/acclimatising . . . .

Zeqiri, shown some promise, has a left peg, but can't get on the pitch (why?)

a 3/4 scale French demi-nutter who gets in the way, can't shoot and is woefully off form.

Welbeck. . . . fragile but proven, not an out and out goal scorer.

seems to me we need to change the style to utilise the players we have ( not going to happen under Potter) or chop a few in and buy a striker who does fit.

IF GP thinks he has the players, he's failing slowly and painfully.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I have had enough of fans making excuses about budgets and finances. If need be sell either White or Bissouma to fund it.

None of our current strikers are good enough for what we need. We have tried doing it on the cheap so many times and in different ways

I will always be grateful for what Bloom does for us but enough is enough. This has been a huge blind spot and needs sorted next season.

£70m of losses for this season to cover PLUS the cost of the striker. So it's Bissouma AND White (at least), not 'or'.........................

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Get rid of

Locadia - wages
Izquierdo - wages
Ali j -5m
Andone - wages
Maupay - 15m

There’s £20m to spend and a lot of spare wages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd def try and reintegrate Andone before any decision, he's good enough, it's wether he has tamed his attitude. And while Izzy has been a multi year sicknote, so were Lallana and Welbeck. Izzy was a v.good player, if he gets back to playing, i'd give him another year + option.

Ali J, Propper, Duffy, Ryan, Locadia, Maupay even BDB are not players who will ever be consistent starters in any top 10 PL side, they're often underperforming in a bottom 6 PL side. So what's the point in persisting? They're not bad players, they'd be good in the championship, but at this level they're not good enough.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Newcastle United
£20 million on Callum Wilson - out injured
£40 million on Joelinton - flop
Andy Carrol less said the better.
Proof money isn't always a sure bet for goals.

Bit harsh on Wilson.

His goals have given them a superb chance of survival, I can’t see them being much better off than Sheff Utd this season if they were without Wilson.

It’s still £20m very well spent for a player who will outscore all of ours despite being injured for a few months.

boik

Can you actually read? As I said in my post we could sell either one of our top assets or as others have pointed out sell some of the many squad players we have to fund the purchase.

I would have liked to see us sign one of Watkins, Wilson or Edouard in the summer. I see Villa, Newcastle. Southampton as teams we should be competing with. And what have they all got, that’s right, a very good out and out centre forward.

So that's newcastle who we beat, Villa who we beat and Southampton who lost 6 on the trot. We seem to be competing OK with them.

boik

other teams are irrelevant

we have a semi broken ROmnian attitude problem, who is pretty good on his day, good enough if memory serves.

a 3/4 scale Irish lad who's a work in progress may/may not become good enough.

a 3/4 scale ZA lad, unknown/acclimatising . . . .

Zeqiri, shown some promise, has a left peg, but can't get on the pitch (why?)

a 3/4 scale French demi-nutter who gets in the way, can't shoot and is woefully off form.

Welbeck. . . . fragile but proven, not an out and out goal scorer.

seems to me we need to change the style to utilise the players we have ( not going to happen under Potter) or chop a few in and buy a striker who does fit.

IF GP thinks he has the players, he's failing slowly and painfully.

When you say change our style....it's not as if we are fizzing crosses in at head head for your midgets to miss. We ARE playing to suit our players, hence all of the shots. What we don't have are clinical strikers, and neither do a lot of the bottom half clubs. Take Palace, their strikers are roundly derided, but they are above us, only by playing the shite football that we all hated. It is so much easier to stop another team playing than to create something yourslef. Graeme Souness once said that he could take 12 strangers off the street and get them to stop almost any team in the land. You wouldn't pay to watch it tho!

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Let's be honest what great striker worth 100 million would even think of signing for us even if we stayed in the premier league next season?

£200K a week (£5M a year) would convince most of them.

Not that I'd advocate doing that.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
When you say change our style....it's not as if we are fizzing crosses in at head head for your midgets to miss. We ARE playing to suit our players, hence all of the shots. What we don't have are clinical strikers, and neither do a lot of the bottom half clubs. Take Palace, their strikers are roundly derided, but they are above us, only by playing the shite football that we all hated. It is so much easier to stop another team playing than to create something yourslef. Graeme Souness once said that he could take 12 strangers off the street and get them to stop almost any team in the land. You wouldn't pay to watch it tho!

I don't mean change permanently, but mix it up, we are predictable and easy to defend against.

Unless you're top 4 and let us play because you know you'll score 2 more than us.

Last edited:

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I think some on here have forgotten this is 2021. Every single element of a game is recorded, monitored and analysed within an inch of its life by both our boffins and a million other enthusiastic amateurs. They already know our forwards are a problem, they have known for some time.

The actual problem is we cannot either afford and/or possibly attract the right calibre of player to sign for us. We are going to have to muddle through with either what we have or what we can develop until such time as we can afford and attract the right players. Even if we find one and he starts scoring for fun, someone else will come in and buy them for silly money and the process will start again. It may not always be the strikers, but this squad will always be a work in progress until such time as our infrastructure/support match or exceed the current elite, so probably never...

Only way this changes is if someone comes along to buy the club with serious, serious money and who is prepared to waste it. This may or may not be better for the fans in the long term.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I think some on here have forgotten this is 2021. Every single element of a game is recorded, monitored and analysed within an inch of its life by both our boffins and a million other enthusiastic amateurs. They already know our forwards are a problem, they have known for some time.

The actual problem is we cannot either afford and/or possibly attract the right calibre of player to sign for us. We are going to have to muddle through with either what we have or what we can develop until such time as we can afford and attract the right players. Even if we find one and he starts scoring for fun, someone else will come in and buy them for silly money and the process will start again. It may not always be the strikers, but this squad will always be a work in progress until such time as our infrastructure/support match or exceed the current elite, so probably never...

Only way this changes is if someone comes along to buy the club with serious, serious money and who is prepared to waste it. This may or may not be better for the fans in the long term.

One things for sure, if you're a young, promising striker looking to make a name for yourself at the top level, we must be an attractive proposition. A talented, confident striker must look at our games and think they could score buckets of goals.

I always remember when Murray came back, him saying that one of his main reasons was that he looked at the players we had creating chance and putting crosses in and he thought he would be able to score a lot of goals. Surely other strikers must look at us and think the same.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I agree. I just don’t understand why we don’t counter these tactics by doing the same. A game of cat and mouse, draw the opposition out and quickly counter attack. Might be worth trying so we are not so one dimensional.

I think there is something here. Even the top teams struggle to play against the massed defences of some bottom teams. They seem to ease off the pressure, rather than forcing them backwards, to try to open up spaces to play in. We seem to dominate games so completely that the whole of the play is often in that final third, with no room to control or get a shot away.

Even the top strikers don't poach all their goals from close in. I wonder if in these games, we do need to sit back a bit and encourage them onto us (if they will come on to us, which if they are well drilled, isn't as simple as it seems).

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think there is something here. Even the top teams struggle to play against the massed defences of some bottom teams. They seem to ease off the pressure, rather than forcing them backwards, to try to open up spaces to play in. We seem to dominate games so completely that the whole of the play is often in that final third, with no room to control or get a shot away.

Even the top strikers don't poach all their goals from close in. I wonder if in these games, we do need to sit back a bit and encourage them onto us (if they will come on to us, which if they are well drilled, isn't as simple as it seems).

The game that comes to my mind is Villa away last season. We actually lost so it kind of doesn’t work as a good example. However it was a clear tactic to let them come to us and worked until a silly sending off. I haven’t seen it at all this year and , as you say, we are dominating games with little reward.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
If I were TB my response would be "If you can get the other 23,000 STHs to agree to a £2,000+ ST increase I'm in"

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well let's make sure we get one with the extended guarantee, because I guess when we splash out on this one special out and out striker, we will have to take a chance and won't be able to use the benefit of half a season's hindsight before we sign them.

Obviously, we wouldn't want to take a risk and get a Depoitre, Mousset, Locadia, Sturridge, Kean, Higuain, Benteke, Morata, Joelinton, Haller etc. We would want to be sure we were signing someone who is proven in the Premier like Wilson, Watkins (who we now know is proven because we have half a season's hindsight) or Edouard (who is proven in Scotland !) and isn't going to get injured :)

You forgot Rhian Brewster, a snip to Sheffield United at just the £23.6m and he's been ... [checks notes] ... shite! Yet Liverpool inserted a £40m buy-back clause in the deal. Somehow I think their money's safe.

I have to agree with some posters on here who say that charging slowly into the massed ranks of 11-man defences is getting us nowhere fast. We have done better against teams who have come at us, so maybe at home we should be drawing the opposition out rather than forcing the pace with wing-backs flying up the pitch. Save that for away games. With an empty Amex this would seem to be the time to give it a whirl, as there will be no crowd to moan at our apparently negative tactics.

Long-term, what's the answer? More of the same unless we discover a goalscorer or Tony B finds a few more bob down the back of his sofa, I suppose, if he hasn't had a good rummage already. But I love the idea that we could bring in some money by selling Ali J, Propper, BDB etc. Who would buy them?

Baldrick

Aug 24, 2020
I have had enough of fans making excuses about budgets and finances. If need be sell either White or Bissouma to fund it.

None of our current strikers are good enough for what we need. We have tried doing it on the cheap so many times and in different ways

I will always be grateful for what Bloom does for us but enough is enough. This has been a huge blind spot and needs sorted next season.

We tried hard to sign Darwin Nunez last summer. He is currently being touted as a successor to Aguero at Man City.

He chose Benfica over us, even though we reportedly offered him more money. We are good at identifying the players we need, but really good strikers that would improve our team prefer to join better known and established teams. That's life.

That's why we end up taking a punt with someone like Maupay from the Championship.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I don't mean change permanently, but mix it up, we are predictable and easy to defend against.

Unless you're top 4 and let us play because you know you'll score 2 more than us.

Tbh I think the 'style' as such is right. The players are making the right passes. Unfortunately those passes are coming far far too late because the player has usually decided to take an extra touch. We need to move the ball much quicker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here