Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] New Ben White Rumour

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Hell's frozen over, I agree with you.

Webster's been my POTS so far, White's quality but he's probably where Webster was last season - Webster offers a goal threat like Van Dijk. Think Dunk's sailed past that price tag now, but we do have an abundance of CBs to develop. We have Clarke at Derby atm, so I'm not concerned about losing Webster next season.

I like Webby as well, but that isn't really true is it?

Whitechapel

Famous Last Words
Jul 19, 2014
Not in Whitechapel
I agree, since he has cut out the silly mistakes, he has become our best defender.
Still only young, for a CB, I would think he would sell for the most, if we were selling, out our entire cabal of centre backs.

Whilst I agree Webster has been our best defender this season, I still think we’d get more for White. Just because the hype train seems to push the value of players up and White is the more fashionable/trendy option.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020
I like Webby as well, but that isn't really true is it?

In what way is that not true; not really any point saying it isn't true without specifying why.

Van Dijk has 10 goals in 95 appearances for Liverpool with Trent Alexander Arnold whipping in crosses.
Webster has 3 goals in 53 appearances for Brighton without a crosser like Trent.

You add in crossing quality, and Webster has a greater opportunity of scoring.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
In what way is that not true; not really any point saying it isn't true without specifying why.

Van Dijk has 10 goals in 95 appearances for Liverpool with Trent Alexander Arnold whipping in crosses.
Webster has 3 goals in 53 appearances for Brighton without a crosser like Trent.

Specifying why? Ok. His heading technique suggests someone who is trying to hit one of the jumbotrons screens. He missed several presentable chances and I think the goals he has scored have been from second ball type scrambles. (nothing wrong with that of course)

Not knocking the fella. Webby has a great shout of being player of the season. I don't think he's been good in front of goal though. Certainly nowhere near the threat of the other player you mentioned

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Webster also had a bunch of chances this season, sure part of the reason he's not scored is skill but frankly it also comes down to a bit of bad luck. Small margins, just a bit of luck and he would have 2 or 3 goals by now.

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Its one thing refusing to sell him to a rival in the form of Leeds, but I think if Liverpool come in for him, we'll sell him.

For a player who's isn't an international and isnt transferring between two top 6 clubs, £70 to £80 million sounds a bit high to me, although we obvioulsy have the right to ask for whatever we want.

I would have thought £60 million is towards the top end of his valuation and £40 million towards the bottom. £50 million therefore sounds like fair market value. But as we don't want to sell, Liverpool would have to open the bidding at the very least with a fair market value of £50 million. If we asked for £70 million, and met in the middle at £60 million, I think I could live with that.

Last edited:

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
I'll only whisper it, but for a centre back, I don't actually think White is very good in the air.

An excellent player, he's young and can improve, but at the moment, not great ???

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I'll only whisper it, but for a centre back, I don't actually think White is very good in the air.

An excellent player, he's young and can improve, but at the moment, not great ???

Serious answer: He’s still so young though and it’s only his first PL season. Untapped ceiling. Think how good he is already and he has the potential to improve.

Currently, I’d agree with you. The less glamorous Dunk and Webster are a level above defensively.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
He'd be gutted to have to go to Liverpool without even spending a summer in his newly renovated garden in Worthing :angel:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Nope, not great in the air. He wont be getting any more centimeters either unless he is ****ed up somehow but will obviously get a bit more muscle, so that part of his game should improve. As it is currently he cant challenge strikers like DCL in the air but will be better as he beef up. Cant rule out him turning into a midfielder either, his performances in the Bissouma role vs City & Leeds were really promising.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
It’s has been a learning curve season for White, not a breakthrough season.
For breakthrough see Bissouma, Webster and Lamptey.
Talk of £60m for White is fun, but in reality it’s silly.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Its one thing refusing to sell him to a rival in the form of Leeds, but I think if Liverpool come in for him, we'll sell him.

For a player who's isn't an international and isnt transferring between two top 6 clubs, £70 to £80 million sounds a bit high to me, although we obvioulsy have the right to ask for whatever we want.

I would have thought £60 million is towards the top end of his valuation and £40 million towards the bottom. £50 million therefore sounds like fair market value. But as we don't want to sell, Liverpool would have to open the bidding at the very least with a fair market value of £50 million. If we asked for £70 million, and met in the middle at £60 million, I think I could live with that.

Liverpool are going to be paying £20 for Kabak at the end of the season.

That's all they will be spending on a centre back. When their injured multitudes return, probably by the start of next season, they will have about 10 of them

Braggfan

In the beginning there was nothing, which exploded
May 12, 2014
Liverpool are going to be paying £20 for Kabak at the end of the season.

That's all they will be spending on a centre back. When their injured multitudes return, probably by the start of next season, they will have about 10 of them

Yeah hopefully they won't be coming in for him. I just meant that IF a club came in for him, I don't think we'd stand in his way if it were Liverpool or one of the other top 6 club sides. But equally I don't think we'd sell him to Leeds whatever they offered us.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
It’s has been a learning curve season for White, not a breakthrough season.
For breakthrough see Bissouma, Webster and Lamptey.
Talk of £60m for White is fun, but in reality it’s silly.

Well that’s not our problem, it’s not our job to offer fair market value for our players.

If Liverpool want him, they’ll have to pay the going rate and then some.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
Well that’s not our problem, it’s not our job to offer fair market value for our players.

If Liverpool want him, they’ll have to pay the going rate and then some.

What’s the going rate though, especially post pandemic ?
White has looked very good at times , but with Clark as an option I don’t think the decision to turn down the Leeds money has been justified...yet. That money could have bought a striker.

Just to add, Clark Is the Albion’s forgotten man . But Every time I see him he impresses.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here