Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Why didn't we go after Potter when we had the opportunity ?"

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Interesting thread on the West Brom forum...

http://westbrom.com/forum/index.php?topic=25591.0

Basically bemoaning their hire-and-fire culture appointing dinosaurs like BFS, with no long-term strategy in place when it comes to managers and the recruiting of past-it players. Also a lot being made of Ashworth being a big loss to them.

"a few years back when it is pretty certain we could have got him. That said, I doubt we would have backed him in the way that Brighton have done and it’s no coincidence that it was Dan Ashworth that went out and got him for Brighton and gave him a five year contract to go and build and develop something. If Ashworth was still at the Albion I’m sure we would have appointed him or someone like him rather than making short-sighted/short-term, knee jerk appointments and football or should that be anti-football dinosaurs."

Now that we are (finally) stringing a few results together, it seems more and more people are noticing just how well BHA have been playing, and looking at the process we are undertaking to bring this about. Patience is such a rare commodity in football, and it was wearing pretty thin with a lot of fans this season, myself included (although I hadn't reached the 'Potter Out' stage). Now we really are seeing the green shoots of Potters philosophy emerging, with tangible results.

Nice to see fans of other clubs looking on now with an element of envy innit.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

Basically bemoaning their hire-and-fire culture appointing dinosaurs like BFS, with no long-term strategy in place when it comes to managers and the recruiting of past-it players. Also a lot being made of Ashworth being a big loss to them.

"a few years back when it is pretty certain we could have got him. That said, I doubt we would have backed him in the way that Brighton have done and it’s no coincidence that it was Dan Ashworth that went out and got him for Brighton and gave him a five year contract to go and build and develop something. If Ashworth was still at the Albion I’m sure we would have appointed him or someone like him rather than making short-sighted/short-term, knee jerk appointments and football or should that be anti-football dinosaurs."

Now that we are (finally) stringing a few results together, it seems more and more people are noticing just how well BHA have been playing, and looking at the process we are undertaking to bring this about. Patience is such a rare commodity in football, and it was wearing pretty thin with a lot of fans this season, myself included (although I hadn't reached the 'Potter Out' stage). Now we really are seeing the green shoots of Potters philosophy emerging, with tangible results.

This was something I heard last night probably for the first time ...either BT or MOTD where they actually praised effectively TB for sticking with the ‘project’

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
West Brom are the very definition of a Yo Yo club ( which isnt a terrible thing )

Must say that I thought Fat Sam would get them going but what's struck me seeing him this time round is how much of a dinosaur he really is.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Think they chased him after Östersund beat Arsenal in the Europa League. No idea what Potter himself thought about it but ÖFK chairman didnt seem to impressed with WBA.

"He is going nowhere".

What if they pay a huge sum?

"They cant afford him. If he is going to another club, he should be going to one of the big clubs in Europe. I mean, why else would he move on. Why go to a small club in the first or second division? Meaningless. They sack managers every other week there. Thats no good. He should go to a big club, where they have class".

Like Arsenal?

"That would be a dream for any manager. But they already have a pretty good coach. They were impressive, they knew everything about us. I met their CEO and he ****ing knew more about the players than I did. I thought that was pretty creepy."

In the end, Kindbergs buddies over at Swansea came calling and he allowed them to talk with GP and now he's in Brighton... could have turned out in quite a different way. If he had moved to WBA in February 2018 it would not surprise me if he would have been unemployed now and they would still be shit. The success GP will be having in Brighton is not just up to him but about TB being a great owner. Two of the best and biggest brains in football, its a perfect match. In a lot of clubs, the club wouldnt be pleased with Potter and Potter wouldnt be pleased with the club.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I think this is where we benefit from having a local fan in charge of the club rather than the Chinese billionaire owner they have. I suspect you could draw a fairly easy link between clubs which have billionaire foreign owners and which also sack and appoint managers every five minutes.

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Think they chased him after Östersund beat Arsenal in the Europa League. No idea what Potter himself thought about it but ÖFK chairman didnt seem to impressed with WBA.

That was 6 years after Dan Ashworth had left West Brom though. In fact Ostersunds were still in the 3rd tier of Swedish football when Ashworth left them, I doubt Potter was on the radar of many English clubs at that time

I think there is a bit of romanticising and wishful thinking from WBA fans over what might have been.

They appointed Roberto Di Matteo while Ashworth was technical director. He is someone who may well have fitted the young, hungry coach mantra of Ashworth, but after getting them promoted to the PL in his first season Di Matteo was sacked after a run of 13 defeats in 18 games the next season with the club 16th at the time. The sacking was roundly condemned by the LMA as a sign of the "hire them and fire them" culture of English football.

It certainly doesn't point to Ashworth and the manager getting the same support and time from the West Brom board that Bloom and Barber are willing to give him here.

Last edited:

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
West Brom only appoint managers called Johnny or Ronnie.

In emergency they'll take anyone.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Sacking Bilic and appointing Allardyce will send them back years.

No coach in their right mind would go there now.

An extended period in the Championship awaits

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I thought that was the thinking of the Potter Out brigade on here.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit

I think you may find that any coach who wants a job WILL go there, right mind or not.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
I think you may find that any coach who wants a job WILL go there, right mind or not.

OK, they'll get someone.

But they won't get someone who's looking to build a dynasty. They will only get someone jobbing there on a year by year basis. Someone who knows if they lose a few games, they'll get a decent pay off.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
"Why didn't we go after Potter when we had the opportunity ?"

The success GP will be having in Brighton is not just up to him but about TB being a great owner. Two of the best and biggest brains in football, its a perfect match. In a lot of clubs, the club wouldnt be pleased with Potter and Potter wouldnt be pleased with the club.

Exactly. It’s a convergence of several things. Potter is a great manager for us, and we’re a great club for him. Tony thinks long term always, is not trigger happy if results don’t go our way, wants our young talent to be nurtured and blooded in the team, wants to play in style. All very aligned with GP’s philosophies. And with Dan Ashworth all adds up to a perfect alchemy.

I thought the same even when we weren’t getting results. With these guys in charge? This club is on the up and going places. Simple as that.

Conversely, imagine GP at a Liverpool or Chelsea. They’d sack him after a couple of bad runs.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford

In a football sense I 100% agree. Bilic had them turning a corner, Allardyce has flipped them into a wall and is now reversing them hard into the Championship. Hopefully, this signals the death knell on Allardyce's top flight career.

Regarding, the part about attracting a new manager, in hiring Allardyce, they've shown that they'll throw big money at someone. That's a big incentive to any out of work manager

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

Yet, when they played us under Billic and out thought us for the whole second half, going back to the Midlands with a point, I bet there wasn't a single one of them wanting to replace Billic with Potter? :shrug:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Yet, when they played us under Billic and out thought us for the whole second half, going back to the Midlands with a point, I bet there wasn't a single one of them wanting to replace Billic with Potter? :shrug:

Maybe not Potter no, because we were (are) another lower-end PL side under him, and they handed our arses to us on a plate in that slag of a 2nd half. But then again (and I may be wrong, it has been known) I don't think the majority of WBA fans wanted Bilic binned either - he did get them promoted after all. I doubt many of them were clamouring for the appointment of BFS while Bilic was in the hotseat.

The ownership of that club are always after a fast fix though. They sacked Darren Moore in March 2019 when they were sitting 4th in the Championship, in favour of putting a caretaker manager in charge from the coaching staff for the rest of the season! Bonkers.

There are some right dickhead owners around who couldn't find their own arses with both hands. Thankfully, we've not got one of them.

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
West Brom are the very definition of a Yo Yo club ( which isnt a terrible thing )

Must say that I thought Fat Sam would get them going but what's struck me seeing him this time round is how much of a dinosaur he really is.

Football has changed massively in the last twelve months. High tempo, quick passing, pressing and a move away from Uber defensive tactics. This is FatSams worse nightmare as it is with a lot of other managers (Bruce and Dysche).
Well past there sell by dates.

Our team of two seasons ago and the style of play would be destroyed this season.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here