Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] Telegram or Signal v WhatsApp

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I have used Signal but barely anyone I have on Whatsapp is on it, and most people are more than happy for Facebook to have whatever details they want, so can't see this causing most of my contacts to move unfortunately.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I have all three but no-one I regularly interact with uses signal or telegram.
The thought of trying to explain how a new system works to Mrs H fills me with dread.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
if youre really concerned about privacy or security, get off all the mobile platforms and stick to desktop, idealing linux based platforms. otherwise just forget about it. so "your data" is read by these firms, people give away far more voluntarily than gathered in the background. you get better quality marketing, things you're interested in, rather than generic.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
It's a pain in the arse. How many platforms do we need? Before long the day will be over by the time you've checked everywhere for messages. Just been told one source of information I get is moving to Telegram so I'll need that now. Over complicating our lives for no reason.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I have used Signal but barely anyone I have on Whatsapp is on it, and most people are more than happy for Facebook to have whatever details they want, so can't see this causing most of my contacts to move unfortunately.

This. On Signal I have me, my wife and a client who is ex GCHQ and has described in graphic detail what Facebook do with your data.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I use Signal, but until a fortnight ago only three of my friends were on it. The video/voice calls seem a bit hit and miss (you call but nobody picks up, immediately followed by a quick game of telephone tennis).

Having said that, the text chat works perfectly and I won’t go back to WhatsApp while it’s in Zuckerberg’s hands.

Wider adoption would help, (loads of people have started popping up on it in the last 2-3 weeks) and I wish the developers would put in some work on answering voice/video calls, but as a group messaging system it works fine and the learning curve isn’t huge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
WhatsApp:thumbsup:
Have never had any problems for either voice or video calling, especially my mate in Grenada.

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
I use telegram and I also have a couple of football betting-related apps that send me automatic alerts in Telegram. Very useful. I use Whatsapp also. Telegram is faster and cleaner and also syncs in real time between my laptop and my phone so I can use it on both platforms.

matski_98

Apr 16, 2012
if youre really concerned about privacy or security, get off all the mobile platforms and stick to desktop, idealing linux based platforms. otherwise just forget about it. so "your data" is read by these firms, people give away far more voluntarily than gathered in the background. you get better quality marketing, things you're interested in, rather than generic.

Kinda. Except that you'd be living a pretty lonely existence because the majority of your friends aren't using Linux based platforms for instant messaging. Also desktop computers are pretty big so you'd need wide pockets to carry it around and an extension lead so you can check your messages.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here