Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If Potter were to leave tomorrow.........

Who would snap up a free Graham Potter?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Not really my point.

I've often seen it said on here that we play great football and are just missing the finishing touches in and around the penalty area and that, therefore, better players would create even better chances and take them. Yet the teams with the even better players seem happy to praise Potter to the rooftops and then keep him here, play us and take points off him.

[MENTION=19]Icy Gull[/MENTION] started talking about Chelsea specifically but surely there's a big club out there somewhere who would want Brighton's style combined with real top quality players? It doesn't have to be Chelsea. Although, as EP says, they were sniffing round 15 months ago. But not now.

I know - you dont have a point.

YPep Guardiola and others are involved in a great conspiracy to keep Potter in Brighton so that they can beat the team, which they never would have if Brighton were only wise enough to employ a better coach that with ease would beat Manchester City and others on a regular basis.

Its possible that there are big clubs out there who are following Potter, Hasenhuttl and a couple of the managers in Championship keen on playing attractive football. That doesnt mean there arent plenty of options and it also doesnt mean that Tony Bloom is going to stand on all four and allow them to do whatever they want with him. Most top teams usually hire unemployed managers with a lot of experience from other top clubs. It says nothing about the quality of the work from someone like Potter or Hasenhuttl.

Clubs who are happy with their managers are also unlikely to sack them and hire another manager just because they like what they've seen of the other manager. Spurs owners / directors might think "there's some good managers in the PL" but it doesnt mean that they are automatically going to sack Mourinho and employ one of the others. Same with the other clubs.

Clubs are also different when it comes to employing managers. Most of them are open to employ ex-players previously at the club: Arsenal would not have employed Frank Lampard last summer. Manchester City would not have employed Frank Lampard. You know why? Probably not, but everyone else does. And when they dont employ based on previous relation to the club, they're still going to make different decisions. Hasenhuttl and Dyche have arguably had similar levels of success. Yet for instance City are never in a million years going to employ Dyche, while Hasenhuttl may be one of many options.

You are pretending that you're not, but clearly insinuating that Potter isnt very good since he didnt get picked up by a big club. The reality is that the manager position at big clubs are not available very often. Chelsea probably had a list of 20 or so names, give or take a dozen, but could only appoint one manager. This does not result in the other 19 being poor or whatever. Neither you or me know if GP (or Jardim or Bilic or Cooper) was one of those 20 names. Neither does it really matter as there is no objective way of measuring manager quality. There is a fair chance that there is a couple of managers in League 2 or Conference that are better than Solskjaer, Arteta, Lampard, Potter etc. but just never had the chance to prove it and lack the necessary connections.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Also this Chelsea rabbit hole doesn't address the OP in any way since I asked IF Potter were to leave tomorrow and "who would snap up a free Potter?"

Immediatly? No one as there's really no free positions currently. I also dont think he is the type of manager who would jump in somewhere midseason and I doubt he wants to move again in the nearest future, so the options would be few. If GP was available and Saints lost Hasenhuttl to Arsenal (or something, maybe a German top club), that would be my best guess. He would be a good match with their desire to develop young players and play decent football. If not them, probably some ambitious Championship club - I dont know enough about English geography to think of one he could manage without dragging his kids out of school for the third time in five years.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Immediatly? No one as there's really no free positions currently. I also dont think he is the type of manager who would jump in somewhere midseason and I doubt he wants to move again in the nearest future, so the options would be few. If GP was available and Saints lost Hasenhuttl to Arsenal (or something, maybe a German top club), that would be my best guess. He would be a good match with their desire to develop young players and play decent football. If not them, probably some ambitious Championship club - I dont know enough about English geography to think of one he could manage without dragging his kids out of school for the third time in five years.

Great. You've answered the question. You are now free to vote "another Premier League side" or "a big name European team" according to which of those two you feel more strongly about.

Only about 17% currently agrees with you.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Great. You've answered the question. You are now free to vote "another Premier League side" or "a big name European team" according to which of those two you feel more strongly about.

Only about 17% currently agrees with you.

No plans to vote.

If 0%, 17% or 100% agrees with you also really does not matter to me. If you read the old Ashley Barnes thread it looks like there was a fair share of people who thought he wasnt good enough for League One and yet he's scored about 40 goals in the Premier League. Elvis Presley is not my favorite artist, Titanic is not my favorite movie, neither Donald Trump or Joe Biden were my favorite yank politicans, Eastenders is not my favorite tv show. I dont care about what the majority thinks or wants, it has no impact on my own opinions.

Eric Youngs Contact Lens

Dec 9, 2020
East Sussex
I can't think of any manager in the PL, that isnt fantasy land that realistically I would want either - feels like a pointless poll. Dean Smith might be one for me here, but Villa struggled out of the Championship, should have been relegated and have spent some good money, so not that sure.. Hardly a shock that given where the team is its hard to name a host of sides ready to take GP on. I am pretty sure that many Newcastle fans would be interested to see GP at their Club, dare I say it, even some Palace fans might admit it in dark corners.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
For 'Potty Ball' to have any chance of working, the coach needs time to bring it to fruition, time that the majority of Chairmen probably won't allow him in the modern game.

Come to that do we actually have any proof that his style of football does ever come to fruition? All very well playing fluent attacking football, but not if it doesn't bring positive results in the long term.

As for this comment of Pep's about him being the best English coach in the game, does he need a number two l wonder? maybe that would be the best position for him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here