Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Restaurant thread 2021

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I guess one difference with the Star is he’s worked with them for a long time before this move inside i.e. he knows exactly who and what he’s working with. I appreciate his previous standpoints but he obviously feels this can work....people do compromise and people do change.....even Mr Troll. I’m guessing the kitchen will be out of sight; don’t they have a large redundant space in the basement where they once brewed beer?

As for table space, I guess he will serve food in a format similar to what he currently does and folk will eat it at the current tables or on-the-hoof. I can’t see them putting out table cloths and cutlery. But who knows, the past year has provided an opportunity for businesses to reassess and adapt or change and it’s something I’m seeing elsewhere...maybe there will be a surprise and a significant change to the pub?

For some weird reason this put me in mind of The Blue Anchor. The Thai food there is absolutely excellent and Apple, the chef, is very much her own person. However, in normal times, it's still a proper blokes pub with shit lager and a pool table - nothing pretentious at all. Though the owners have turned the saloon bar into a restaurant space, which you don't have in the Star, there's nothing to stop you having a red curry while you're playing pool or watching footy if that's what you want and they do take away for phone orders and passing trade. Furthermore, the mass produced lager and cider works better with their spicy dishes than a more complex beer IMO. It shouldn't work - but it does.

This has the potential to simply be good beer with delicious, sustainable and wankily pretentious large beer snacks. It's making me hanker for the end of lockdown even more TBF. Sigh.

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Evening Star is one of my favourite pubs, but standing next to someone cooking burgers while having a pint is not my idea of fun. Great news he’s been relocated out of sight. Hope it works out for him and the pub.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
For some weird reason this put me in mind of The Blue Anchor. The Thai food there is absolutely excellent and Apple, the chef, is very much her own person. However, in normal times, it's still a proper blokes pub with shit lager and a pool table - nothing pretentious at all. Though the owners have turned the saloon bar into a restaurant space, which you don't have in the Star, there's nothing to stop you having a red curry while you're playing pool or watching footy if that's what you want and they do take away for phone orders and passing trade. Furthermore, the mass produced lager and cider works better with their spicy dishes than a more complex beer IMO. It shouldn't work - but it does.

This has the potential to simply be good beer with delicious, sustainable and wankily pretentious large beer snacks. It's making me hanker for the end of lockdown even more TBF. Sigh.

It certainly has potential.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
My poor memory tells me that this has been done before, but what are the best B&H restaurants to eat outside? We're looking at mid-May prior to indoor eating, if that lifted scenario still applies.
I'll probably go to CinCin, but wonder about a few other options (Chilli Pickle, Murmur, Riddle & Finns).
Anyone eaten outside at these three to feedback, or have other suggestions?

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
My poor memory tells me that this has been done before, but what are the best B&H restaurants to eat outside? We're looking at mid-May prior to indoor eating, if that lifted scenario still applies.
I'll probably go to CinCin, but wonder about a few other options (Chilli Pickle, Murmur, Riddle & Finns).
Anyone eaten outside at these three to feedback, or have other suggestions?

I've just booked into the Urchin for next month. They have covered their outdoor area so protected from any adverse weather in the next couple of months especially.

Flint House on the terrace (not tried it but they are set up with blankets and the like I'm told), Moshimo have some outdoors (though I don't particlurly like the idea of eating in that square).

You're right, this has been done elsewhere on the forum, don't know where though.

In other news I see Crabshack are setting up at the Shelter Hall, which should prove popular.

scooter1

How soon is now?
Despite the urge for a pint in glass in a pub, i'm not a great fan of eating outside for its own sake. However, we have booked the Ancient Mariner for our wedding anniversary in mid April. The food there used to be very good, but not eaten there for a long while. Any opinions, we're going on a Wednesday..

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Given February is fast approaching, it's about time to kick things off, but understandable that it's taken this long :down:

Congrats to Helene Darroze and Clare Smyth on getting three stars. These threads are so helpful that I went to the latter early on its life courtesy of a suggestion on an earlier iteration of this thread.

https://www.theguardian.com/food/20...helene-darroze-celebrate-three-michelin-stars

Sorry but as a total philistine/dinosaur what am I actually getting when I go to a Michelin star restaurant?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
A small plate of food and a big bill

Not necessarily - I went to a Michelin star place in Hong Kong for Dim Sum and while the plates were small (fnar) the price was one of the cheapest meals we had during our stay !

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Kenny Tutt (of winning Masterchef fame) isn't wasting any time expanding beyond Worthing's excellent Pitch despite Covid strifes...

Bayside Social is opening this Summer at Worthing's Bayside Apartments (the big tower that has gone up at Splash Point) and sounds like it's going to be pretty much right on the beach with 180 degree sea views - https://www.baysidesocial.co.uk

Ox Block is a smoking robata grill opening at the new Shelter Hall food hall in Brighton - https://www.kennytutt.co.uk/ox-block/

Other new-ish things...

Hand Brewery have a brewery tucked away in West Worthing where they operate a tap room. A decent looking addition to Worthing's beer scene - https://handbrewco.com/breweryandtaproom

And the Brewhouse & Kitchen at the old Beechwood Hall site in Worthing is finally going to open and looks interesting, based on their other venues - https://www.brewhouseandkitchen.com/venue/worthing/

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
By and large this. Sorry but l find any restaurant with more than one Michelin star, to be very pretentious.

There’s a couple of two stars that I have been to which are not pretentious. Until things change I won’t be going back though.

Last edited:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
I've just booked into the Urchin for next month. They have covered their outdoor area so protected from any adverse weather in the next couple of months especially.

Flint House on the terrace (not tried it but they are set up with blankets and the like I'm told), Moshimo have some outdoors (though I don't particlurly like the idea of eating in that square).

You're right, this has been done elsewhere on the forum, don't know where though.

In other news I see Crabshack are setting up at the Shelter Hall, which should prove popular.

Good calls all round. Might try The Urchin. FH is pretty good although, for me, not quite as good as Jay Rayner made out.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Sorry but as a total philistine/dinosaur what am I actually getting when I go to a Michelin star restaurant?

When I’m asked my initial response is to say you are literally getting one organization’s (ie Michelin) opinion which is "a very good restaurant", if it’s one star, two stars it’s "excellent cooking that is worth a detour", and three stars means "exceptional cuisine that is worth a special journey".

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Also, the guide first came out in 1900 and still includes many “traditional” restaurants....it’s down with the dinosaurs so maybe give it a read and try a place out?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Despite the urge for a pint in glass in a pub, i'm not a great fan of eating outside for its own sake. However, we have booked the Ancient Mariner for our wedding anniversary in mid April. The food there used to be very good, but not eaten there for a long while. Any opinions, we're going on a Wednesday..

Strangely going there myself next month. I've only eaten roasts there but all have been very good. If they have their homemade chocolate brownies with orange sorbet on the menu then I highly recommend them ( and I don't much like chocolate ! ).

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Strangely going there myself next month. I've only eaten roasts there but all have been very good. If they have their homemade chocolate brownies with orange sorbet on the menu then I highly recommend them ( and I don't much like chocolate ! ).

Orange sorbet you say? Oh yesssssssss sorbets are one of my most favourite foods in the whole wide world. Terry's largely made a successful business teaming orange with chocolate.

Originunknown

BINFEST'ING
Aug 30, 2011
SUSSEX

Thank you for this. Any other decent eateries anyone can recommend in B&H with nice and ideally heated outdoor areas ahead of reopening?

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

Is my local more or less, food that I consumed over the December period was very decent, mainly pub style grub, the thing that saddens me is that the goldstone isn’t there anymore and I could never use it as a pre match boozer. Don’t know if the food with drink rule is going to come back, but they were very relaxed and let you stay as long as you wanted as long as you ordered at some point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here