Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Tomato and chilli/pepper growing

Cpt. Spavil

Mar 9, 2008
My tomatoes aren't growing at all, they arent getting enough sun/warmth to get growing.

They are San Marzano ones.

my Spinach has gone mad though. I might harvest it this weekend and freeze it to use it when the basil grows.

Peteinblack

NSC Patron
Jun 3, 2004
Bath, Somerset.
In previous years, we've already planted our tomatoes, peppers and chillies outside by now, but this year, they are still indoors on the window-sill.

We did put the tomatoes outside yesterday during the day to start 'hardening' them up, but by late afternoon, they looked as if they were dying, presumably because the breeze was too cold for them.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
My tomatoes aren't growing at all, they arent getting enough sun/warmth to get growing.

They are San Marzano ones.

my Spinach has gone mad though. I might harvest it this weekend and freeze it to use it when the basil grows.

My tomatoes are still indoors on the window sill (the few that could be bothered to germinate).

Bloody pigeons have eaten all my spinach and broccoli.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Toms still in the greenhouse, Spinach went ballistic ( 6' tall) sky rats eating broadbeans and other stuff too. .

Denis

Mar 25, 2013
Portslade
My tomato plants are outside. Some have a few flowers, but very behind compared compared to previous years. I do have a south facing patio, which helps.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
My tomato plants are outside. Some have a few flowers, but very behind compared compared to previous years. I do have a south facing patio, which helps.

likewise no fruit yet, strawberries late, and everything else is behind as well

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
A question for Brightonian tomato growers: we put ours outside over the w/e, and already it looks like something is eating the leaves (not sure what yet). Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, any remedies advised?

Get yourself some natural 'muscle' to stand guard :)

We also have slow worms and hedgehogs on patrol, but this little guy has taken up residence:

Greenback.jpg

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
They have the benefit of a sheltered sun trap, but my toms have been outside for over a month and are thriving :rock:

Attachments

• Toms.jpg
    Toms.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 23

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here