Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Tomato and chilli/pepper growing

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
However, I do like finding a nice tomato from the supermarket drying the seeds, and SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

It's part of the fun. You often get something quite different (one of the parent plants).

I've done this, this year which a nice heart-shaped tomato bought from Sainsbury's last year. They don't sell this variety anymore so I'm quite glad I saved them.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Spanish chillies from last year. You pick these green, pickle them and have them in Sandwiches.

They aren't super hot - which is the point.

IMG_20200812_121445_resized_20210125_060726226.jpg

I happily grow these outside in long planter on a wall. Unlike tomatoes, you can throw quite a few in a pot and grow close together.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I do grow super-hot ******* ones though. Although that isn't what you always want.

I grow them to recreate these bad boys.

pintxo-de-bonito-con-anchoas-guindilla-y-pimiento-de-piquillo-olmeda-origenes-1.jpg

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Here's my effort so far. I was a bit late with planting but hopefully the florescent tube setup will help them catch up. Can anyone give advice on when I should take the propogater lids off (not in photo)? Also how long do you have the light on for? Mine's currently set to be on from 6am until 8pm

IMG-20210328-WA0000.jpg

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I have a bundle of chillies �� I grew a few years ago and dried out
I found them at the pack of the cupboard What are the chances the seeds will be ok to grow ?

Soak the seeds between a couple of layers of damp toilet paper or blotting paper (if such a thing exists this century). Keep moist but don't swamp with water. See if they show and signs of sprouting after a week or two. Even if they don't, plant anyway, thr moisture will have given them a head start

maresfield seagull

May 23, 2006
Soak the seeds between a couple of layers of damp toilet paper or blotting paper (if such a thing exists this century). Keep moist but don't swamp with water. See if they show and signs of sprouting after a week or two. Even if they don't, plant anyway, thr moisture will have given them a head start

1st attempt went in last weekend Outside at the moment ( not ideal I know ) But I need a tray to the long pot in
Just put another batch in a damp soaked sheet of kitchen role in a jam jar
Seem to recall doing it like that with apple seeds and beans as a kid

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
I planted some chille and pepper seeds about six weeks. They are in pots on a sunlit window sill.

Nothing.......

Absolutely nothing.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
I planted some chille and pepper seeds about six weeks. They are in pots on a sunlit window sill.

Nothing.......

Absolutely nothing.
Happens. I've got loads going but a batch from Spain didn't germinate at all.

Chillie seeds DON'T need to dried. You take some seeds from a ripe chillie from the supermarket (usually red) and soak them in water for a day or two.

Dry them off and drop them on the surface as usual. They will generally all germinate successfully.

The soaking is important to remove whatever the plant has inside to stop the seeds germinating inside the fruit.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Spanish chillies from last year. You pick these green, pickle them and have them in Sandwiches.

They aren't super hot - which is the point.

View attachment 132958

I happily grow these outside in long planter on a wall. Unlike tomatoes, you can throw quite a few in a pot and grow close together.

This years batch not happening, so I've chucked the seeds. They came from Spain and not germinating.

Gone back to last years supplier (from USA) and got some more. Bit late for Chillies I know but these caught up.

I kept some seeds from the chillies but they failed to germinate. I'd put that down to not letting the Spanish chillies "mature", because you don't with this variety. Pick them young and pickle.

*Gullsworth*

My Hair is like his hair
Jan 20, 2006
West...West.......WEST SUSSEX
I've been growing tomato plants in the window in readiness for outside growing. My prize plant, a multicoloured tomato, was getting huge so I put it outside a couple days ago in the knowledge that no frosts were forecast at night. Just been out to check and blow me a touch of frost has got my plant. I think it may survive though. Forecast was six degrees minimum last night although I live in a frost pocket. Do I leave the plant outside now for good?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
are tomatos not to be outside yet? i had a few given from a friend and we've left them outside for past two weeks. they looked a little battered in the storm but still going.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Currys_receipt - 1 (2).jpeg

That's my chillies and peppers. They should be in the greenhouse but I did my back in and have only started putting it up this week.

Germinating chilli seeds, I got some out of bird eye chillies, put them between damp kitchen roll in a tupperware and left them on a radiator for a couple of days. Others are from a packet.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
A question for Brightonian tomato growers: we put ours outside over the w/e, and already it looks like something is eating the leaves (not sure what yet). Has anyone else experienced this and, if so, any remedies advised?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here