Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Same running style as Liam Dickinson, which is no great thing.

There was a little shell under Hughton when Locadia and Bernardo were teaming up well, brief, but I enjoyed it.

boik

Another waste of money sadly

That's the nature with strikers at almost every club. You show me 3 that have been a success, and I'll show you a dozen who have "failed". More than any other position, goalscorers have to "click" with the rest of the team. Look at Torres at Chelsea. Obviously a great players as referenced by his record at Liverpool. Absolute disaster at Chelsea (apart from that one goal).

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The fact Locadia walks and runs like Charlie Chaplin really didn't help his cause. He can get quite a speed up but at the start his splayed feet look comical.

This made me proper LOL.

This description also adds weight to my assumption that CH asked for a big striker like Chris Wood and that the recruitment team added in the “runs like a duck billed platypus with flat feet” filter onto their pre-existing striker template for the algorithm. It looks like this:

• Plays in one of top five Euro leagues (excluding EPL)
  • Is aged 19-25
  • Is over 1.84m tall (metric system)
  • Has a head
  • Has two feet (doesn’t have to be L and R, can be two of each)
  • Points at goal occasionally

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
That's the nature with strikers at almost every club. You show me 3 that have been a success, and I'll show you a dozen who have "failed". More than any other position, goalscorers have to "click" with the rest of the team. Look at Torres at Chelsea. Obviously a great players as referenced by his record at Liverpool. Absolute disaster at Chelsea (apart from that one goal).

Chelsea spent £50m on a former player who had half the ability he had at his peak. The Torres transfer is what I first thought of when I heard Ryan had gone to Arsenal, unfortunately only on loan. Signing a player past his peak and on the downward curve very rarely works out well for anyone (except the selling club, in our case it will be hard to move Ryan after he's dropped a couple of clangers if allowed to play for Arsenal). Gareth Bale at Tottenham being another example.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Maybe he can get as close to his dream of using us as a stepping stone to play for Man Utd as he can muster and go play for FC United of Manchester?

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
I think this was one of the major reasons Hughton was let go, 17m on AJ, hardly played and was crap when played.. Bernardo 9m,hardly played, was crap when played. Locadia, 15m hardly played, was crap when played. Izquierdo 13m although he did well while playing but was a large transfer at the time, i don't remember much of him in his second season. We wasted a lot of money and only 2 over 10m players were super for us, Propper and Bissouma, and he didn't start becoming a starter until mid way through last season.

Thats not true re Bernardo. Played loads of games under Hughton and was probably one of our best players in that period, just hasnt fitted into Potters system.

Propper has been excellent and Bissouma was always going to be one to develop, and that is now showing.

The other 3 just havent produced performances to warrant the fees although Izquierdo was good while fit.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Chelsea spent £50m on a former player who had half the ability he had at his peak. The Torres transfer is what I first thought of when I heard Ryan had gone to Arsenal, unfortunately only on loan. Signing a player past his peak and on the downward curve very rarely works out well for anyone (except the selling club, in our case it will be hard to move Ryan after he's dropped a couple of clangers if allowed to play for Arsenal). Gareth Bale at Tottenham
being another example.

At 28/9 Ryan is not past his peak, just in a bad run of form. There will be plenty of takers for him when he goes. We paid 5 Mill and I bet we at least get that back.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
At 28/9 Ryan is not past his peak, just in a bad run of form. There will be plenty of takers for him when he goes. We paid 5 Mill and I bet we at least get that back.

We can't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident he's past his peak. He's had his Joe Hart moment and now he's on the way down. I would be staggered if we get a fee for him in the summer, unless he doesn't play at Arsenal at all. Someone will take a punt on him, providing he doesn't show himself up any more.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
We can't know for sure, but I'm pretty confident he's past his peak. He's had his Joe Hart moment and now he's on the way down. I would be staggered if we get a fee for him in the summer, unless he doesn't play at Arsenal at all. Someone will take a punt on him, providing he doesn't show himself up any more.

Well I guess we will see. It wasn't that long ago he was clawing the ball out of the top corner at the end of last season v Saints, and yes I agree he has been poor this season, but I bet he will turn that form around.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Some of the revisionism going on on here with regards to Ryan is actually quite unedifying. Yes he was in bad form when he was dropped but some of the attempts now to portray him as never having been any good are staggering. And not a little disrespectful to a good servant for the club.

SittingbourneSeagull

Dec 27, 2007
Sittingbourne
Some of the revisionism going on on here with regards to Ryan is actually quite unedifying. Yes he was in bad form when he was dropped but some of the attempts now to portray him as never having been any good are staggering. And not a little disrespectful to a good servant for the club.

Yes agree. He is in a bad run of form but not a bad goalkeeper. He will be back but probably not for us.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Well I guess we will see. It wasn't that long ago he was clawing the ball out of the top corner at the end of last season v Saints, and yes I agree he has been poor this season, but I bet he will turn that form around.

Yes agree. He is in a bad run of form but not a bad goalkeeper. He will be back but probably not for us.

Time will tell and I'm happy to be proven wrong if that's how it works out. I think the real revisionism is looking at his form last season and thinking it was even close to the first two seasons. Anything to his left was effectively a goal, with the obvious exception of the save at Southampton. I don't think anyone's arguing Locadia was a good striker for his good finish against Arsenal and I don't think we should be claiming Ryan's one brilliant save justifies arguing he's still at his best level. For me, he was glaringly underpar for most of last season but after the resumption post-lockdown it became clear how far he'd fallen. It's just my opinion, before the usual hawks descend, but I think the numbers back me up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here