Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Film] Film 2021

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
That has come to Prime this morning, so I intend to watch at some point this week. Though it's got Oscar nominations for acting, writing and is one of the best film nominees, so I'm not sure it can be considered 'criminally overlooked'. Especially with cinemas closed and its coming to Prime today being the first time a lot of us have the chance to watch it.

Sorry, I meant at the BAFTA’s. Was responding to the list above.

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
concrete cowboys ....netflix idris elba stars and produces also moonlight ....in a similar vein both thought provoking and uplifting in different ways.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
concrete cowboys ....netflix idris elba stars and produces also moonlight ....in a similar vein both thought provoking and uplifting in different ways.

I’m looking forward to concrete cowboys.

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Palm Springs (Prime) - Charming little knockabout Groundhog-esque comedy.

Saw it for the second time, at the weekend. Nice to have the additional knowledge of what's already happened, when you watch the opening scenes. (No spoilers!)

Really fun film and it's a logical next step from Groundhog Day's premise.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Another one who watched Palm Springs this weekend.
Very enjoyable movie.

Coherence, my pick for best Movie I've seen this year.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Palm Springs (Prime) - Charming little knockabout Groundhog-esque comedy.

After a few duds (IMO), "Coming 2 America" and "I care a lot" Amazon seems to be back on track with it's movies including Palm Springs, The Mauritanian and Them

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I watched Sound of Metal.

Sound design is great.
Paul Raci was good
Always good to see Mathieu Amalric
The calm of the school/home was very relaxing and made a motly comfortable watch

Didn't like the final shot - too typical indie-type ending, so ending on a bit of a negative for me, the sort of ending that is trying to be a dramatic ellipsis, but instead feels like some one stopped mid sentence leaving you thinking 'But what about...'
Didn't feel like there was any character development, which made connections with others at the school feel more superficial. You can skip his time at the school (the bulk of the story) and there is no change to his journey.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Oscars!

Made me remember I hadn't noted watching Promising Young Woman. Really strong film, thought. My favourite of the nominees, but I'm not expecting a lot of the main awards going its way. There are some issues, but generally I really liked it.

Ceremony is ongoing, and trying to avoid spoilers for now. But some prime tv advert spots, and we now have the first teaser trailer for Steven Spielberg's West Side Story remake.

[tweet]1386479770754498561[/tweet]

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
I thought Palm Springs was very good, Romcom with a bit of twist and while it has similarities with a few other films in plot, in style it's very different

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Did well last evening at the BAFTAS, and deservedly so. :clap2:

View attachment 135790

Watched this last night. Whilst a pleasant, interesting film, same as 3 billboards, not a best film Oscar winner in my books.

But this is the type of film, made for the Oscars, that does win.

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Just back from the pictures.
Yes. In a cinema. Watching a movie. Fantastic.

Shame about the film though.

Nomadland is possibly the most depressing film I have ever seen.

Yes, ok the acting is good. Some of the locations are spectacular but the story, such as it is, has neither a beginning, middle or an end.

Classic example of the Oscar luvvies giving the medals to this sort of film as opposed to a box office smash, which this surely won't be.

Sorry, 3/10

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
[yt]7i5kiFDunk8[/yt]

Promising Young Woman

This is very excellent. Woman recovering from a traumatic experience eeks out vengence on men in general, and then targets the ones who caused it. One of the best films I've seen this year. Echoes of Tarantino - and thats NEVER a bad thing. Watch it.

91%.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Slightly delayed, due to technical problems, Brighton Cineworld re-opens today at 2pm.

Duke of Yorks and Dukes at Komedia re-opened on Wednesday.

Promising Young Woman

This is very excellent. Woman recovering from a traumatic experience eeks out vengence on men in general, and then targets the ones who caused it. One of the best films I've seen this year. Echoes of Tarantino - and thats NEVER a bad thing. Watch it.

91%.

Was my favourite of the oscar nominees.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Promising Young Woman is very, very good. I usually find Muiligan rather tepid but she'd great in this.

Those Who Wish Me Dead. Entertaining enough, I rather enjoyed it. It's quite a mess and all a bit half arsed but a good enough action thriller with a dash of Backdraft and a twist of Witness.

The Woman In The Window. Rear Window meets The Girl On The Train with an interesting visual homage to Citizen Kane. Agoraphobic woman believes a murder has been committed across the road. Nobody believes her. Gary Oldman is great in a small but integral role. Wyatt Russell (son of Kurt) is also becoming a rather solid presence in some good films.
It's on Netflix.

I thought Nomadland was dull and over-praised.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
My teenage son dragged me to see the new Saw at the Dome, Worthing, at the weekend. Great to be back in my favourite cinema, even if it was for a film I REALLY didn't want to see.

As for Saw, Spiral or whatever they call it now: It plays like an incredibly generic cop movie (ace but troubled detective, rookie cop, lots of coffee, shouty chief etc) with the Saw element as like a guest star slot. I only had to look away a couple of times and then stay awake for the rest. Samuel L Jackson is in it doing what he motherf'ing does in any film franchise that'll have him. Chris Rock stars and you can tell he co-wrote it too because he somehow manages*to get some stand-up material in to the weird mix. 3/10

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Back to the cinema yesterday for the first time since the brief reopening in October (or whenever it was) - the IMAX at Crawley, with the kids, to see Godzilla vs Kong. As a first film for the wife and kids for a while, the absolute nonsense crashy bangy popcorn fare, on the biggest of big screens, was the perfect blast of returning to normality. Duff storyline, scripting pretty shaky, but nevertheless an enjoyable romp and exactly the sort of film you should see in the cinema, on the largest screen you can, with big sound. Remember your mask, but don't fret if you don't remember to take your brain...switch off and enjoy the ride! haha...

Most of the trailers looked ace too - although it did cause a bit of a chuckle as despite these all being digital files, they'd not been updated so were still promising the upcoming films as coming in April 2020, summer 2020, etc!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here