Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Containers

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So are you saying the Royal Navy didn’t have ships down in the Adriatic during the Balkans War?

And remember the faux outrage you posted when I dared to challenge David from Prague on a similar matter....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Nice of Baker lite to give his interpretation, but it's all on the Internet in black and white, so here's the original post from your pal with absolutely no mention of ships whatsoever.

Wanted to go backpacking round Australia,also got fed up with 3 tours of Bosnia on the bounce.
It’s a great life for a young lad, enjoyed my time by was ready to leave.

A couple of people far more experienced in these things than myself then picked him up on it.

exactly, even three tours doesn't add up to a lap.
so basically you got sick of the navy lark when you were invited to do a dab of work :lolol:
I think the point he is making, is that Bosnia is pretty much land-locked.
Do you mean you were at sea whilst aircraft from your ship saw action?
Ship.
Boats are for soap dodging smelly *****.
on a boat?

And here is where you 'challenged' (or allegedly claimed he lied, depending on one's interpretation)

I was a cod 'war' participant. I asked the Navigation officer to show me where we where on his map, as I assumed (wrongly) that we were somewhere between Iceland and Scotland. We were actually north of the Arctic circle by some distance. We ended up being rammed by either the Thor or Aegir resulting in the only fatality (some electrician on their ship), and limping to Rosyth with the front of our ship missing. We also lost the 'war'.

Which part of my post do you refute?
The bit where a ship that you allegedly served on is involved in a major collision resulting in apparent loss of life and resulting on the ship you allegedly served on limping to Rosyth.

I find I astonishing you can’t recall the name of the ship that hit you!

And then when he gave you the all the details you simply disappeared, no apology ???

So no, not similar in any way :facepalm:

Last edited:

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
To be fair the “chances of being sunk” wasn’t being discussed.

It’s the implication though. I could have said one tour of Lebanon ... which would have frankly been bollocks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Nice of Baker lite to give his interpretation, but it's all on the Internet in black and white, so here's the original post from your pal with absolutely no mention of ships whatsoever.

A couple of people far more experienced in these things than myself then picked him up on it.

And here is where you 'challenged' (or allegedly claimed he lied, depending on one's interpretation)

And then when he gave you the details you simply disappeared, no apology ???

So no, not similar in any way :facepalm:

So rather than diverting the discussion let’s get back on track, are you suggesting that BL is lying about 3 tours of Bosnia?

And just so you know anyone serving at that time that found themselves down in the Adriatic during that conflict doing NATO patrols would describe the deployment as “Bosnia”

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
So rather than diverting the discussion let’s get back on track, are you suggesting that BL is lying about 3 tours of Bosnia?

And just so you know anyone serving at that time that found themselves down in the Adriatic during that conflict doing NATO patrols would describe the deployment as “Bosnia”

Wouldn't have called it a 'tour' though. It probably helps somebodies self esteem, but 'tour' sort of implies an element of hardship/danger, when in fact, it was being in the med, same as any other trip to the med.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Wouldn't have called it a 'tour' though. It probably helps somebodies self esteem, but 'tour' sort imies an element of hardship/danger, when in fact, it was being in the med, same as any other trip to the med.

Adriatic to be precise and yes I wouldn’t describe it as a tour but again that element is not being discussed, your NSC pal (who is probably busy as we speak going over old threads from the last decade to use in evidence) is mocking BL and his three visits to the Adriatic [emoji106]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Sharp_Guard

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
It’s the implication though. I could have said one tour of Lebanon ... which would have frankly been bollocks.

[emoji2359]How did you get to be this person you are now? Just how...?
We quite clearly served in the RN at different times, in the time I was lucky enough to serve the lads would call deployments ‘Tours’
A tour of the Gulf,a tour of Bosnia (former Yugoslavia )tour of the Far East etc,I’m not trying to glamorise, I like you,spent most of my time sunbathing or in the fridge. Jeeez.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Adriatic to be precise and yes I wouldn’t describe it as a tour but again that element is not being discussed, your NSC pal (who is probably busy as we speak going over old threads from the last decade to use in evidence) is mocking BL and his three visits to the Adriatic [emoji106]

Yes, he is mocking his term of 'tour' I would imagine

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house

It is pointless trying to debate that horrible ****.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
[emoji2359]How did you get to be this person you are now? Just how...?
We quite clearly served in the RN at different times, in the time I was lucky enough to serve the lads would call deployments ‘Tours’
A tour of the Gulf,a tour of Bosnia (former Yugoslavia )tour of the Far East etc,I’m not trying to glamorise, I like you,spent most of my time sunbathing or in the fridge. Jeeez.

I have a couple of mates who were actually ashore in Bosnia and they have views on how you describe your time when on detachment. I’m simply using their definition.

As for sunbathing .... I was a WAFU so it goes without saying that I was a bronzed god.

I was out before Bosnia kicked off.

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
I have a couple of mates who were actually ashore in Bosnia and they have views on how you describe your time when on detachment. I’m simply using their definition.

As for sunbathing .... I was a WAFU so it goes without saying that I was a bronzed god.

I was out before Bosnia kicked off.

Indeed,the ships I was on had an adopt an orphanage thing going,was lucky enough to go ashore several times for a week at a time,doing building work,painting and such like,very rewarding work but shocking to see the trauma on these poor kids faces.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003

[emoji2359]Wanted to go backpacking round Australia, also got fed up with 3 tours of Bosnia on the bounce.
It’s a great life for a young lad, enjoyed my time by was ready to leave.
Says the man who claims to have managed three tours of Bosnia (a country with 12 miles of coastline on it's 1000 mile border) by ship :lolol:

:shrug:

(I was actually prepping dinner and opening a bottle of wine on account of having a life outside of NSC :wink:)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

One of the veteran Wrens next to me at the Cenotaph had an unusual medal. I asked her what it was for. She was a dusty, and said it was for handing out blue berets whilst in Naples.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I opened this thread in anticipation of a debate about Tupperware, what a shame[emoji29]

I opened it thinking it would be a debate about Kubernetes and thought it might be helpful for the article I'm currently writing. What a letdown

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here