Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Maty Ryan joins Arsenal

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
You’re getting desperate now.

If he says he’s made a massive step up, at least have actually made a ‘step up’ he’s gone from being a starting keeper for us to a glorified tartan blanket, I liked Ryan in his time here but he’s not fit to polish Leno’s boots.

Honestly how stupid does it makes you look to say you planned on being somewhere for 2/3 years before moving to a bigger club, when he got booted out and outperformed by an unheralded 23 year old keeper?

lol what?

He literally says his plan was to come to Brighton, play well for 2-3 years and then move to a bigger club, and that now he has his move to a bigger club but not in the circumstances he wanted. He's showing a lot of 'humility' as Maupay would say.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
lol what?

He literally says his plan was to come to Brighton, play well for 2-3 years and then move to a bigger club, and that now he has his move to a bigger club but not in the circumstances he wanted. He's showing a lot of 'humility' as Maupay would say.

Ryan wouldn’t get in any other PL team. Not in the circumstances he wanted? Well I guess ‘play well for 2/3 years’ certainly ensures it wasn’t the way he wanted.

He’s just been added to the long list of keepers (Scott Carson, Lee Grant etc) who move to a ‘big’ club but know they will never play, barring injury chaos.

FloatLeft

Jun 12, 2012
Maty was very good for us, helped establish us in the Premier League, but things change, people move on, that's the natural way of things in football.

I won't ever say a bad thing about him though.

As long as he still hates Palace (after this video I’m not sure I trust him though) [emoji853]

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I'll have some of what you're smoking if you don't think Arsenal is a massive step up.

I don’t smoke.

Arsenal are a massive club so are Newcastle. Is it a massive step up to Arsenal? Currently no. In the future maybe, but if they progress he won’t stand a cat in hells chance of getting in the team.

Can you see Arsenal doing anything special in the next few years? If you do perhaps I’ll take up smoking and you can give me something.

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
I don’t smoke.

Arsenal are a massive club so are Newcastle. Is it a massive step up to Arsenal? Currently no. In the future maybe, but if they progress he won’t stand a cat in hells chance of getting in the team.

Can you see Arsenal doing anything special in the next few years? If you do perhaps I’ll take up smoking and you can give me something.

They are literally the current holders of the FA Cup.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
They are literally the current holders of the FA Cup.

Really they are literally out of it the same as us.

FFS.

The last time Arsenal were any good was when they had a team of alcoholics and that was years ago. As our favourite ref would say, off you pop. Perhaps you need to go and buy yourself an Arsenal kit you appear to revere them so.

Last edited:

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
Interesting that many posters are getting offended at Ryan stating a fact, that Arsenal are bigger club than Brighton, but don't get offended when Potter takes a pop at fans.

Not one person says Arsenal aren’t a bigger club than us :lolol:

Coming out in the press and saying you’ve got a move to a much bigger club, whilst bench warming every week is just embarrassing on so many levels, he knows he’s been signed as a hot water bottle but he’s mouthing off like he’s got a dream move to a top team, whilst at the same time saying we were a stepping stone, again fine, but saying it whilst you’re still under contract with that team is totally unprofessional.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Really they are literally out of it the same as us.

FFS.

The last time Arsenal were any good was when they had a team of alcoholics and that was years ago. As our favourite ref would say, off you pop. Perhaps you need to go and buy yourself an Arsenal kit you appear to revere them so.

I've always got great respect for your posts, I rarely see anything I disagree with but I can't understand your posts on this topic. Arsenal as a football club, comparative to Brighton, is chalk and cheese.I get you're comparing the clubs at the moment and not based on historical factors, but even their current squad is achieving far more than ours. We won't score 4 in a single game this season as they did today. We won't ever get to where they are in the league this season and I find it hard to believe we'll finish above them in the league in the next decade.

Arsenal have been a good team since the 90s and remain one of the top 10 teams in the country, despite being off the pace. As mentioned by other posters, they literally won the FA Cup last season. They're not a small club by any measure and I certainly won't be buying an Arsenal kit despite acknowledging that them and a number of other clubs are clearly bigger than we are by any metric.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
I've always got great respect for your posts, I rarely see anything I disagree with but I can't understand your posts on this topic. Arsenal as a football club, comparative to Brighton, is chalk and cheese.I get you're comparing the clubs at the moment and not based on historical factors, but even their current squad is achieving far more than ours. We won't score 4 in a single game this season as they did today. We won't ever get to where they are in the league this season and I find it hard to believe we'll finish above them in the league in the next decade.

Arsenal have been a good team since the 90s and remain one of the top 10 teams in the country, despite being off the pace. As mentioned by other posters, they literally won the FA Cup last season. They're not a small club by any measure and I certainly won't be buying an Arsenal kit despite acknowledging that them and a number of other clubs are clearly bigger than we are by any metric.

I know I know I need to put my rod away but it's fun.

Edit; Should mention my old man was an Arsenal fan, though he first took us to Brighton and was a st holder for years as he got older he resorted back to them. I happily rubbed it in for years as they failed to live up to expectations.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
If he had been playing well enough to still be our first choice, would we have let him o on loan to Arsenal? No.

Would Arsenal have bought him, if Leno had a career ending injury and they needed a replacement in January? No .

It would have been a better keeper.

Sorry, Marty , but that’s the score, you are no longer good enough be a first choice Premier League keeper.

Not even for little Brighton.

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
I’ve never warmed to Ryan. I’ve long suspected his joining in with goal celebrations was just a gimmick. He won’t/can’t command his area, he doesn’t make match saving saves, his distribution is a myth, Bob coming in has just highlighted what a poor keeper he’d been over the last 12 months. Once Dunk and Duffy was disbanded by Potter it exposed Ryan. In the summer he said he needed to play for a top 10 club and if Brighton won’t provide that he’d move, I laughed at that at the time and that was before his form went off a cliff.
I remember being at Fulham when we let a 2 goal lead go and he literally stayed rooted to his line for 3 of them.

We literally look a different team with Bob between the sticks.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
Ryan wouldn’t get in any other PL team. Not in the circumstances he wanted? Well I guess ‘play well for 2/3 years’ certainly ensures it wasn’t the way he wanted.

He’s just been added to the long list of keepers (Scott Carson, Lee Grant etc) who move to a ‘big’ club but know they will never play, barring injury chaos.

He's not getting in our team at the moment either. He's gone from not even featuring in the match day squad at Brighton to being on the bench for Arsenal (and for all this talk about not getting in the Arsenal team, he's already made more appearances for Arsenal than he has for Brighton this year). That is a step up, even if Arsenal weren't a bigger team than us.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here