Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Am I being conned here, or not?

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
I would tell him that the cost is far more than I can afford, and therefore I have passed the details of the incident to my liability insurers to resolve. I would also ask him for details of his insurers so that contact can be made between the two insurers to resolve.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
1- yes, tell him to **** off, that is right royally taking the piss and therefore wavered your good will gesture.

Get your son to write down what happened as a record, let Kia souless piss his pants stewing. Offer him £200 or whatever you think is reasonable ( a dent magician will possibly sort that, maybe get a quote from someone based on the photo? Make that offer ? if he doesn't like it tell him to sling his hook, whats he going to do? He won't get far suing your son.

I scratched someones car with my trailer some years back . . . . She pulled over on a narrow road but not much, refused to reverse ( or couldn't) so I squeezed through . . . . We both knew the same bodywork guy in Shoreham. John fixed it for her, I saw him in the pub. A pint and £80.

Avoid insurance companies, delaers etc at all costs, thas where 80% of the money goes.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I pulled out of a parking space in a narrow road and caught the door of a very tatty van, the plastic trim fell off but I couldn’t see any other damage.
I left a note on the van window with my details, the van owner phoned me several days later thanking me for being so honest, I asked him how much he wanted to refit the panel, he said he would get back to me.
His insurance company phoned me saying I had written off his van :nono: and they were going to report me to the police for driving away from the scene of an accident.

Unbelievable how things get twisted, I was going about 2 MPH and my bumper knocked off a plastic trim, surely the police didn’t need phoning for something so small.

It’s no surprise that some people don’t leave their details after a small knock.

1D9C7B2B-A448-4269-8F6F-1095248465CF.jpeg

Leaving a note like this next time :)

Last edited:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Where’s Ernest?

Some little TOERAG has DAMAGED my car WHILST I was eating my SAUSAGE and offered to pay for his boys crap bike riding MISS demeanour. NOW that the PRICE of the repair is far HIGHER blah blah blah...

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I'm going to break the trend here. The price for repair seems standard - that's quite some dent and a very deep sctrach - what the hell did your son do ? Equally why should the car owner be out of pocket ?

So questions :

1. Ask if he works from home given the current conditions - if so no, you shouldn't pay for his time off work. Equally he should get a curtisory car. So no, don't pay this bit. That said, having had my car damaged by a third party, it is an absolute pain in the arse even if someone else is paying so maybe add a bit for this hassle.
2. Seems a standard price. The age of the car makes no difference to the to the cost of repair for something like that.
3. Errr .... no .... it's your son's fault - nothing to do with the owners insurance.

If he gets a courtesy car they are still entitled to charge a hire cost for it! Equally, any out of pocket expenses due to the car being unavailable can also be claimed (but they would need to be justified).

Elbow750

Jun 21, 2020
I'm no lawyer but pretty sure you can say sorry that is very expensive, I'd like to get an independent quote. Legally I think you have to put him back in the place he was before the accident, i.e offer to get it properly repaired but you don't have to use his full price dealer, especially as its an older Kia Soul.

I badly scrapped the drivers door of my company Ford focus on a concrete wall (my fault) and it cost me £250 from a dent removal place in Lancing. It was a lot worse than yours , but 8 or so years ago so probably £350 max now.

No way you should pay for his time. Tell him he's lucky you left your name, which he is.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I pulled out of a parking space in a narrow road and caught the door of a very tatty van, the plastic trim fell off but I couldn’t see any other damage.
I left a note on the van window with my details, the van owner phoned me several days later thanking me for being so honest, I asked him how much he wanted to refit the panel, he said he would get back to me.
His insurance company phoned me saying I had written off his van :nono: and they were going to report me to the police for driving away from the scene of an accident.

Unbelievable how things get twisted, I was going about 2 MPH and my bumper knocked off a plastic trim, surely the police didn’t need phoning for something so small.

It’s no surprise that some people don’t leave their details after a small knock.

Guy banged into my van last year (I wasn’t in it) .....he came and told me...I was a bit annoyed that his nice lightweight car was undamaged and yet it had knocked my bumper out of line on one side of my ‘heavy’ van...offered me cash there and then.....used palm of hand...bang back into position...few scratches..but they blend in with all the others....told him not too worry...and thanked him for telling me

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Guy banged into my van last year (I wasn’t in it) .....he came and told me...I was a bit annoyed that his nice lightweight car was undamaged and yet it had knocked my bumper out of line on one side of my ‘heavy’ van...offered me cash there and then.....used palm of hand...bang back into position...few scratches..but they blend in with all the others....told him not too worry...and thanked him for telling me

I would have paid for the door trim, so I’m not sure why he changed his mind and went to the insurance.
If I had stuck it back with some Gripfill he wouldn’t have known about it.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
I would have paid for the door trim, so I’m not sure why he changed his mind and went to the insurance.
If I had stuck it back with some Gripfill he wouldn’t have known about it.

Yep....totally agree

My guy lived in a block of flats I do the grounds for and they always give me a Xmas bag of goodies...I heard he stuck more in...have to say my vans been hit four times ..each time when I wasn’t in it...two of them no ones left a note....I think it qualifies as tatty now :D

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
A few days ago, my son bumped into a car with his bike. He made a few minor dent/scratches just below the wing mirror, as shown in this picture.

View attachment 132640

I'm an honest guy, so I left a message on the windscreen for the owner to contact me and I'd pay for any repair.

He did so, and it all seemed to be reasonable and grown-up.

He's now got back to me and said he's been quoted £735 plus VAT (so £882 in total). He also wants reimbursing for having to take three half days off work (and drive 180 miles in total) in order to go to an approved dealer for the quote, the drop off and the collection.

My questions to the great and good of NSC are:
1) I don't think that I should pay for his time off work and mileage. Do you agree?
2) Is £882 a reasonable price for this? It seems a hell of a lot for a few minor scratches, and his car is only an old Kia – it's not like it's a Ferrari or something.
3) Would it be unreasonable for me to ask if his insurance would help here – if I pay the excess, and so long as he has his no claims protected?

I’d tell him to do one on the time off work and meet him half way on 441 otherwise claim on the insurance. That seems fair to me. I appreciate some people might say it’s not the car driver’s fault but then I’d argue he has insurance to protect himself against things like 11 year olds cycling into his door.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I’d tell him to do one on the time off work and meet him half way on 441 otherwise claim on the insurance. That seems fair to me. I appreciate some people might say it’s not the car driver’s fault but then I’d argue he has insurance to protect himself against things like 11 year olds cycling into his door.

Not sure why you say that when it is actually very clear that it wasn't the drivers fault!!! Also, his insurance is there to cover him but if the loss is recoverable then they have every right to recover it!!

This isn't really a matter of who is liable, merely how much!

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Not sure why you say that when it is actually very clear that it wasn't the drivers fault!!! Also, his insurance is there to cover him but if the loss is recoverable then they have every right to recover it!!

Someone on this thread has asked if the car was parked legally, not sure the OP has mentioned how the car was parked.
If the car was half on a pavement I’m sure this could be the drivers fault.
Without going back over the thread again I’m not sure we definitely know where the car was parked.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Maybe. But it’s an 11 year old though. What sort of person would make an 11 year old cough up for this?

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
A few days ago, my son bumped into a car with his bike. He made a few minor dent/scratches just below the wing mirror, as shown in this picture.

View attachment 132640

I'm an honest guy, so I left a message on the windscreen for the owner to contact me and I'd pay for any repair.

He did so, and it all seemed to be reasonable and grown-up.

He's now got back to me and said he's been quoted £735 plus VAT (so £882 in total). He also wants reimbursing for having to take three half days off work (and drive 180 miles in total) in order to go to an approved dealer for the quote, the drop off and the collection.

My questions to the great and good of NSC are:
1) I don't think that I should pay for his time off work and mileage. Do you agree?
2) Is £882 a reasonable price for this? It seems a hell of a lot for a few minor scratches, and his car is only an old Kia – it's not like it's a Ferrari or something.
3) Would it be unreasonable for me to ask if his insurance would help here – if I pay the excess, and so long as he has his no claims protected?

So sorry for stating the obvious, but why would you need 3 half days off to drive 180 miles and who in the UK lives over 90 miles away from the nearest approved Kia dealer (assuming 90 miles each way for 180 roundtrip), where does he live? on island in the North sea!

Thats clearly a piss take and an opportunist trying to milk you. fwiw its your sons fault, not yours, he cant get you on your insurance.... tell him to go to his insurance company and let them pursue your 11 year old.

He'll soon change his tune

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Get someone to go there at night and kick in that exact spot, scratch it up a bit more. He'll have to report it as a crime and claim through insurance, by default your sons damage isn't there anymore.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
I would withdraw the gesture for him acting like a tit and tell him to contact his insurance company, after all it was an accident.

Arthritic Toe

Nov 25, 2005
Swindon
I would point out that you tried to do the right thing, but asking you to pay him for three days off work is just ridiculous. You therefore withdraw the offer.
And leave it at that.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
So sorry for stating the obvious, but why would you need 3 half days off to drive 180 miles and who in the UK lives over 90 miles away from the nearest approved Kia dealer (assuming 90 miles each way for 180 roundtrip), where does he live? on island in the North sea!

Thats clearly a piss take and an opportunist trying to milk you. fwiw its your sons fault, not yours, he cant get you on your insurance.... tell him to go to his insurance company and let them pursue your 11 year old.

He'll soon change his tune

I'm guessing it's two trips of 45 miles each way. However, unless you live in Skye, who is 45 miles away from nearest dealer!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here