Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Am I being conned here, or not?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I'm going to break the trend here. The price for repair seems standard - that's quite some dent and a very deep sctrach - what the hell did your son do ? Equally why should the car owner be out of pocket ?

So questions :

1. Ask if he works from home given the current conditions - if so no, you shouldn't pay for his time off work. Equally he should get a curtisory car. So no, don't pay this bit. That said, having had my car damaged by a third party, it is an absolute pain in the arse even if someone else is paying so maybe add a bit for this hassle.
2. Seems a standard price. The age of the car makes no difference to the to the cost of repair for something like that.
3. Errr .... no .... it's your son's fault - nothing to do with the owners insurance.

You've got a white Kia with a ****ed door, haven't you? ???

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Thanks for all the thoughts (even Westdene Seagull!).

I'm going to send the photo to a couple of local repair shops and get some ballpark comparisons. Then I'll feel more comfortable going back to him.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Time lost in sorting out an accident and repairs, when the accident wasn’t your fault, simply goes with the territory. It happened to me four years ago when an idiot drove out of a side turning, then lied, but luckily there was a witness. Loads of paperwork, a day’s work at a client’s lost and trips to approved repairers 20 miles away (who screwed up), also to the courtesy car place, etc. Hard lines to them in your case.

That quote is high. Your honesty has suggested a blank cheque approach to this lazy p-taker, by going to a main dealer, it doesn’t come more expensive than that.

Later this week I’m having supermarket car park damage in two places on my car, fixed perfectly for £300.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Personally I'd offer him what you deem is right and say your offer is subject to him accepting without any further recourse and it is without prejudice (you're not accepting fault). Your offer is final. if you offered say £600 he'd take it, as we all would, pocket the money and never get it repaired.

Where do you live might park my car outside?

brighton_tom

Jul 23, 2008
No idea how much the repair would usually cost, id find some other quotes and go back to him with those for reference. He might see from doing that you're not going to just pay whatever he says. & obviously do some google searching into these approved dealers talks of just to make sure he's not talking bollox about 180 mile trip.

As for the days off work stuff, no sodding way. Its a scratch on the door of an old Kia. He doesnt need to get that fixed straight away. Its not stopping him from using the car. Surely he can book in a slot when he's already off work at some point, its not like people have much to do with their free time at the moment. Maybe you could sling him a bit of petrol money for the trip if you were feeling generous.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I assume you will tell him that he is breaking the law by driving that far during lockdown for a non essential purpose - I read somebody got a fine for driving to pick up a bumper for his car last week. A dealer should be able to provide a quote using a photograph.

As an aside - if cyclists had to be insured it would help with this sort of thing

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
A few days ago, my son bumped into a car with his bike. He made a few minor dent/scratches just below the wing mirror, as shown in this picture.

View attachment 132640

I'm an honest guy, so I left a message on the windscreen for the owner to contact me and I'd pay for any repair.

He did so, and it all seemed to be reasonable and grown-up.

He's now got back to me and said he's been quoted £735 plus VAT (so £882 in total). He also wants reimbursing for having to take three half days off work (and drive 180 miles in total) in order to go to an approved dealer for the quote, the drop off and the collection.

My questions to the great and good of NSC are:
1) I don't think that I should pay for his time off work and mileage. Do you agree?
2) Is £882 a reasonable price for this? It seems a hell of a lot for a few minor scratches, and his car is only an old Kia – it's not like it's a Ferrari or something.
3) Would it be unreasonable for me to ask if his insurance would help here – if I pay the excess, and so long as he has his no claims protected?

When you say bike...Do you mean motorbike so he has insurance or pushbike? A note scribbled on a piece of paper is no guarantee or contract, if someone is trying to rip you off then withdraw the offer. As stated it would probably buff out

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Some people are absolute ***** aren’t they? If you’d done that to me I’d have been very grateful and gone out of my way to keep the cost down. It’s the decent thing to do, why take the piss?

I’d be as tardy and difficult as possible if I were you. In fact I’d wait for him to get a solicitor involved, he probably won’t though.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
£882 is not a reasonable price for that repair but it is the body repair shyster's rate. It is what it is.
Just offer him what you think is reasonable and tell him to either take it or go through his insurers.

It was your son's bicycle that caused the damage? How old is your son? What insurance does your son have? None? So what insurance are they going to claim against? It'll be their own, then won't they have to try and get reimbursed through the courts?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
This is why people don't leave notes.

It's easier for all concerned if he goes through insurance and spends the next few years grumbling that some ******* scraped his car and drove off.

Does he know where you live? If not you should just block his number and ghost him.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Are you in Dubai
How old is your son?

It was in the UK, though I'm back in Dubai now. My son's 11. Does that make any difference?!

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
It was in the UK, though I'm back in Dubai now. My son's 11. Does that make any difference?!

They force you to repair any dents before allowing you to renew your annual registration in the UAE. I wanted to leave a (parking rage - my fault) bump in my Jeep's bumper as a 'war wound' as I thought it looked cool and didn't affect the performance but had to have it buffed out at fair expense.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
Insurers advise you to not do this type of thing directly. As a lot of people have shown already on here, it can be very subjective.

However, an insure/claims company could also put their client in courtesy car and pile up additional costs.

The easiest way to ensure the price is correct is to get multiple quotes and get an engineer to agree the costs are correct. Insurance companies are set up for this, however, by doing things through the books and offering courtesy cars etc the costs are normally higher.

Not many insurance policies would cover consequential costs, its about putting the person back into the same position they were in prior to the damage less any agreed excesses.

Kia's hold there value and many owners like to have any work carried out by Kia dealerships as this both holds the value of the vehicle and they often offer very good buy back options if you do this.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex

Not sure if that makes you liable. Was he cycling on the road? Was the car parked legally?

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
I assume it is one of these.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 18.01.25.png
    Screenshot 2021-01-18 at 18.01.25.png
    382.8 KB · Views: 278

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here