Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Tinkering stats

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
As I said on the other thread I'm happy to give Potter another reprieve like I did after our two good performances against Liverpool and Villa.

If history repeats itself and we turn in another month of abject performances like we did last time then he should absolutely be sacked.

Unless you are Tony Bloom, I don't think you get to decide he gets a repreive. I also don't think you get to decide if he even needs a reprieve considering his job doesn't apprear to be under threat.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
32% of NSC rate him the best current English manager, although he is still unsure what his best formation is after 55 Premier League games,

also he has failed to win a single home league game this season.

He may well prove me and a few others wrong but this is a results based business and one win against Leeds doesn't make him a football genius.

Anyone with those antiquated beliefs will always bawl loudly on the back of such shallow reasoning.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Potter Managerial statistics

attachment.php

44.78% is pretty good, right?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
A point of view that doesn't hold any water, and is utterly meaningless.

Fancy criticising a manager for utilising a player who plays well in three different positions.

I have briefly explained this point of view in another post. Agree or disagree as you wish but it is rather arrogant to claim it is utterly meaningless and doesn’t hold water.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Prior to Saturday he wasn’t being described as a superb midfielder.

Potter obviously sees things we don’t. Guess that’s why he’s described as the best English coach by Pep and we’re discussing football on a website.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Potter obviously sees things we don’t. Guess that’s why he’s described as the best English coach by Pep and we’re discussing football on a website.

Of course. So we can either take the Vagabond/Albion Dan ‘in/out’ pantomime approach or we can call it as we see it, try to take a balanced view (including when presented with stats) and enjoy the footie.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I have briefly explained this point of view in another post. Agree or disagree as you wish but it is rather arrogant to claim it is utterly meaningless and doesn’t hold water.

It doesn't hold water because some people are using a virtue (being able to play in three different positions) as a form of criticism.

So no, empty criticism of a positive, dextrous set of skills, ideas and versatility doesn't have any meaning.

Put it this way, is every player defined by one position? I REALLY hope not, and I'd have assumed that - if anything - every Brighton fan would have realised the positive effect of versatility at this level. Otherwise hat kind of antiquated and shallow thinking is that?

By all means criticise the manager where it's appropriate - but for something that's progressive and positive? Seriously?

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
It doesn't hold water because some people are using a virtue (being able to play in three different positions) as a form of criticism.

So no, empty criticism of a positive, dextrous set of skills, ideas and versatility doesn't have any meaning.

Put it this way, is every player defined by one position? I REALLY hope not, and I'd have assumed that - if anything - every Brighton fan would have realised the positive effect of versatility at this level. Otherwise hat kind of antiquated and shallow thinking is that?

By all means criticise the manager where it's appropriate - but for something that's progressive and positive? Seriously?

Paul Madeley wasnt defined by one position.....only position he didnt play was keeper, and he was good in all of them

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Of course. So we can either take the Vagabond/Albion Dan ‘in/out’ pantomime approach or we can call it as we see it, try to take a balanced view (including when presented with stats) and enjoy the footie.

Anyone who follows my political observation and commentary will testify I always take a balanced, and informed, view. Ben White has been brilliant in his first season in the top flight.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

I wasn’t criticizing him. I was pointing out the argument that White’s development in one position could be hindered by playing him in several . Equally it could be good for his game. Either way it is ‘tinkering’. Potter is paid to make those decisions and neither of us are in a position to claim with absolute certainty that he is right or wrong.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

It’s incredible isn’t it.

I would half understand it if we were on the back of a losing run, stranded in the bottom 3, getting hammered every week.

Yet we’ve just had a fantastic result at the weekend, the managers boldness of selection paid off hugely. Just a stunning goal. And there’s the same old moaners here today complaining that he doesn’t play the same 11 every week. Hilarious really.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Anyone who follows my political observation and commentary will testify I always take a balanced, and informed, view. Ben White has been brilliant in his first season in the top flight.

I love a self depreciating post :smile:

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
It’s incredible isn’t it.

I would half understand it if we were on the back of a losing run, stranded in the bottom 3, getting hammered every week.

Yet we’ve just had a fantastic result at the weekend, the managers boldness of selection paid off hugely. Just a stunning goal. And there’s the same old moaners here today complaining that he doesn’t play the same 11 every week. Hilarious really.

You see what you want to see. I don’t see anyone moaning. I do see people discussing whether or not a stat posted on NSC tells us everything or only a partial story.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Balanced view eh?

You’re criticising the manager for tinkering too much. After his team selection gave us a brilliant win at the weekend. And you’re using Ben White to back up your incredible insight, who himself had a man of the match performance.

Other than that great points.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here