Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you're Potter OUT, what would it take for you to change your mind?

Jolly Red Giant

Jul 11, 2015
wow! so every irish kid is the next georgey best, but everyone else is shitehouse?

that is racism.

you and [MENTION=33329]Jolly Red Giant[/MENTION] should have a little chat about your prejudices to see if you both can move forward in a less obnoxious manner

Maybe the reason why I promote Irish players is that I have a greater knowledge of their ability than I would have players from say - Poland?

There have been some shite Irish players who were Irish internationals over the years and some players who were decent but had an over-hyped reputation (e.g. Robbie Keane) - but that does not mean that there are not some decent Irish players coming true that care capable of being decent/good PL players (and a couple with the potential to be outstanding (e.g. Parrott).

As for the 'racism' - I really wouldn't go there if I were you - anti-Irish racism still exists in England and the reason why so many Irish players were born in England from Irish ancestry is because the policies of British Imperialism in Ireland forced mass emigration, many of whom ended up as cheap labour navvies in the urban centres of Britain.

Furthermore, its not like England haven't fiddled a few folk-heroes from abroad - like John Barnes, who had not connection with England apart from the fact that he was born in a former British colony - or, today, Raheem Sterling, who like Barnes has no real connection with England apart from being born in a former British colony and moving to the UK at a relatively young age.

And by the way - there are a significant number of young Irish born players coming through the ranks of British clubs at the moment (some of the best young talent in many cases) who were born to immigrant families in Ireland - and I would wholeheartedly support them if they chose to switch to play for their parents homeland rather than play for Ireland.

hoof hearted

Sep 14, 2019
Good thread.

I’m pretty despondent by how we’re doing at the moment. I’m on the Potter out side but absolutely see the arguments and vision for him staying. I tend to think that they need to win one of Leeds or Fulham to give me some hope that we will stay up although some will say he should stay even if this doesn’t happen.

For the record, I was pleased when he was appointed and think he had a good first season. Yes it was our highest ever points return but we threw a lot of points away and think Hughton’s promotion and staying up in the first season were greater achievements. I was really looking forward to this season and hoped we would progress further fully knowing this isn’t a given in the Premier league.

I’ll start with the positive. I love the way we play out from the back and get the ball up the pitch with ease against anyone. I like how I know we can give most a game. It’s one of the hardest things to do in football and we’re much better than Newcastle, Burnely or even Palace (minus counter attacking) at it. The positives tend to end there now though.

Never feel that we won’t concede and we’re a soft touch

When (if) we score, it is almost certain that we will concede no matter how strong a position we are in. The West Ham game is a case in point. We score just before on time and are on top against a poorly picked and performing West Ham team. Frustratingly, we don’t show the desire and tactics to keep the ball out and we couldn’t defend set pieces – the most obvious root back in to the game for them. It’s apparent in every game bar Newcastle: Wolves – Burns own goal. March casually jogs out to close down Neto who cuts obviously on his left foot. Arsenal – Burn had to foul there. Newport etc etc

Attacking
Much discussed on this board! It’s been a glaring problem for years and the club/recruitment or Potter are at fault for this. We would be so much more comfortable with some conviction in the penalty area.

Lack of nous and game management
We absolutely never do the dirty parts of the game. We are never in the ref’s ear (I realise this is less of a thing now with VAR) or getting into the opponent’s head. Now I’m not advocating a Sam Allardyce team but we’ve lost people on the team who knew how to manage a game – Stephens, Murray, Duffy, Ryan. Agree to them moving on but shouldn’t have to be a detriment to what they offer in game management. I watched the last 5-10 minutes of Arsenal Palace the other night. Arsenal were pushing for a win. Palace though, to their begrudging credit, know how to take the sting out of a game or momentum. Take their time, kick the ball away, niggly fouls. Arsenal didn’t even get the ball in Palace’s area the whole time. Masterful. Us the night beforehand however – 1 minute before half time. We’ve been playing the ball out from the back well despite a few hairy moments. We’d be struggling in the last few attempts at it and City were pushing hard and really putting us under pressure. Surely we could have done a Palace: take our time, hit it long and make sure we don’t concede before half time. Not us though. Pay it out meekly and under pressure and they score a reasonably soft goal from Webster’s and Sanchez’s perspective.

Our record
Only 2 wins all season. That’s terrible. Leeds, much derided on here and with weaker PL standard players have won 7) . 1 home win in a calender year. That’s embarrassing. We’ve failed to beat Sheffield United, WBA, Burnley, Newcastle, Palace, Villa, Southampton and Wolves at home in this time. Surprised with how many are accepting of this.

Many players have gone backwards
Trossard, Ryan, Connelly (yes he’s young), Dunk, Maupay, Bernardo have all got worse which is concerning. Burn has got worse after his emergence. Yes Potter will point to improving Bissouma and Lamptey and I’m sure he’s had an input as any manager would but they’ve got that much raw talent I think they would have succeeded anywhere. Besides to the fans who say it’s not Potter’s fault players can’t take their chances, it also not down to Potter that Bissouma is so strong and athletic (big part of his game) or that Lamptey is so quick. You can’t have it both ways.

Our signings lack pace, power or ability to take players on

Our team would be so much better if we had this. Bar Lamptey that’s all we’ve got. We’re a collection of nice footballers playing it up the pitch nicely and confidently but slowly. The recruitment and Potter (he’s had 3 transfer windows) are responsible for this.

We play 4-5 centre backs every game
On top of this 9-10 of our players favourite position is centrally. That said we do play with width so this is a mute point. There’s a lot of talk here about ‘Potter’s picks’ but he almost always starts with 3 centre back and plays two more centre backs somewhere.

Potter’s team selection
Too many changes and players playing in 2, 3 or 4 positions over the space of a few weeks. Surely we need a bit more consistency. Much discussed but that Arsenal team selection was an absolute disgrace. We didn’t have to be so weakened and galling to think he had McCallister and Jahanbaksh upfront at home in a winnable game.

Potter’s demeanour
This will be labelled as personal and that’s fair enough. I find him quite painful to hear from. Never says anything out of the ordinary or controversial. Now I don’t definetly don’t want a Mourinho or Dyche and I like the class he shows but I would like him to call out injustices or good individual performances. It’s all a bit contrived, rehearsed and well boring. I know he’s an educated fella and some of the questions and media duties are tiring but come on. I’d love to do it! On the touchline, it’s much the same. I get that modern players don’t always respond to a bollocking but everyone does to some extent. Some of the things that players do isn’t ****ing good enough. Take March coming on as sub V City and completely wasting 2 corners against City in the last minute being as a prime example. Mediocrity seems to be accepted. When someone does show some personality and fight like Maupay he’s ousted for a game or two.

Anyway, I could go on. People in favour of Potter may tell me to shut up or ‘why do you watch us if you’ve nothing good to say?’ (I’ve got loads to say and we have been easily one of the best teams to support in this country since I started in 1990) or that TB is thinking long term so why can’t you. Bloom can do what he wants and he’s the reason we’re in the PL.

We’re not far away. A result could change a lot. I’ve just been gutted watching us always being the bridesmaid when it doesn’t have to be like that. A few wins and we could stay up, but since Arsenal, I don’t think it will happen. I so hope I’m wrong and what a better way than to get it started than but beating Leeds.

The constant changing of team selectons and formations is the most annoying and I can't imagine the players like it either. I'm sure players would prefer to know they will be picked in their most comfortable position (where you'll obviously get the best out of them) and if they have a good game they will at least get a run of games. Putting in a good game and then not playing the next must get to some of the players makes it difficult to build confidence and get a good run of form. As you said, the recuitment hasn't helped either with getting injury prone players, in what is probably the most physically demanding season the players could have!!

I also want the players to take a bit more risk and be more direct in the final third. It's like after so many passes in their own half, they don't want to make a mistake in the final third and give the ball away!

And lack of power and pace has been a problem for a while, but there are some signs of improvements coming. Tau looks quite lively, Karbownik will add some energy down the left flank and, if he ever arrives, Caicedo in CM, looks strong and quick. Sadly, the club still seems to be searching for a Murray replacement..but not sure Potter can be blamed for that, he can only work with the players he's got.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm currently Potter OUT, but as always, I'm happy to listen to others and change my opinion.

We have to win against Fulham, SFU and West Brom. Not loose to Blackpool in the cup (or any lower ranked team after that if drawn) and stay in the league.

If we stay up, I'll happy back him at the start of next season and if he shows he can learn from the losses and all the lessons handed to him, I'll continue to back him.

Smashing Palace would be the cherry on the top.

Thats a good start at getting me back on side :clap2:

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'm Potter out, but only if there's a suitable replacement lined up. I'd love for him to turn things around though as when we're at our best under him, we are a joy to watch. In answer to the question:

Short term - wins against Leeds and Fulham.

Long term - it'd be reaching 40 points by the end of the season. Anything less than that would be a backwards step that wouldn't inspire me with confidence that GP is suddenly going to transform us next year to help us progress past last season's 41 points.

50% of the way for having short-term faith restored! :rave:

elwheelio

Amateur Sleuth
Jan 24, 2006
Brighton
50% of the way for having short-term faith restored! :rave:

Ditto. The fear I have with Potter is that he stumbled upon the lineup/tactics more by luck than judgement. He has got so much wrong in terms of selection and tactics but today I take my hat off to him. He was spot on and deserves a pat on the back/head/arse (depending on his preference).

Disciple

Dec 27, 2020
More performances like this Leeds game. More verticality and tempo to the passing, using Mac Allister in his best position, not conceding at set pieces. These are key areas we needed to improve and today we did. More performances like that and I'll be firmly back in the Potter in camp.

Conversely, I thought his substitutes were poor. Mac Allister coming off when he was easily the best player on the park put us on the back foot and we did drop deeper and get quite negative in the second half. I also don't understand why Gross played the whole game with his lack of mobility. But that's nitpicking on an overall positive day.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
As I stated up thread, it's all about the results. Keep winning and I'm happy.

CaptainDaveUK

Oct 18, 2010
Great performance today, good game management, fantastic team goal from White, Trossard, Mac Allister and Maupay. Very solid in defence Dunk and Webster. Surely that’s a massive boost to morale and will help win over many fans who want Potter out. Those two words said together seem ridiculous right now. UTA.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
Now that distraction is over with, a big game coming up for Potter and Brighton. We didn't make it look easy against L1 Blackpool but maybe we'll do better against Championship bound Fulham. Back to back home wins too much to ask?

Chinman3000

Sep 28, 2011
I’ll admit I had a wobble in December and was letting frustration put me in the PO camp but decided to start the new year a fresh and try and be more positive. Thankfully we seem to have improved this year so far and I’m feeling better about everything including potter.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
We didn't make it look easy against L1 Blackpool

We did in terms of game management and restricting Blackpool to very few chances. However, we made shooting look very very difficult indeed. Sacking Potter is not the solution to making our players improve their shooting.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Now that distraction is over with, a big game coming up for Potter and Brighton. We didn't make it look easy against L1 Blackpool but maybe we'll do better against Championship bound Fulham. Back to back home wins too much to ask?

Believe it or not a draw vs Fulham does not mean we’re relegated. So it doesn’t have to be a win.

But it would take a lot of pressure off if we could get all 3 points.

I wouldn’t be screaming for the manager out on the basis of this game. But then I’m sure there’ll be the usual daily poll for those that enjoy it.

SEWDONIM

Dec 14, 2020

Any lower league team is going to be difficult, they have nothing to lose.

Does Wolves managing 1-0 against Non-League Chorley mean Nuno something Portuguese make him a terrible coach? No. I think a 2-1 win is good enough in the cup. There's an awful lot of ignoring our own history in the cups...

Fulham at home is the true test for Potter. But the last few league games, Potter's tweaked it, we look like we are playing a slightly more simplified version of what he set out to do. We win this, then I'll shift my backside back to the Potter In camp.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thought we dominated Blackpool, that we should have put them to bed, and that (one cross aside) they created nothing second half.
Fulham will be tough, they're playing well now but find it difficult to win. We're in the position now that we shouldn't take too many gambles in that game. I'd take a point if asked for it now. Be good to get a minimum of two wins before February is out though. If we achieve that AND we avoid defeat against the three relegation rivals we play in that period, I'll be happy.

figgis

Mar 23, 2012
Worthing
Thought we dominated Blackpool, that we should have put them to bed, and that (one cross aside) they created nothing second half.
Fulham will be tough, they're playing well now but find it difficult to win. We're in the position now that we shouldn't take too many gambles in that game. I'd take a point if asked for it now. Be good to get a minimum of two wins before February is out though. If we achieve that AND we avoid defeat against the three relegation rivals we play in that period, I'll be happy.

Wow show some ambition you really are a Potter in. Some people expect better than shite. Your post is embarrassing.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here