Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] If you're Potter OUT, what would it take for you to change your mind?

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
I'm not Potter out, but of the two threads, this one seems the most appropriate to make this point.

The season before we got promoted to the premier league, from August to January we didn't win by more than one goal. Maybe the games didn't feel as close as the scorelines suggested but we were always one error or one piece of magic from dropping two points (and lagging behind the other teams at the top with regard to goal difference). In January we signed Anthony Knockaert and started winning by 2,3,4 and even 5 goals. That wasn't because AK was getting hattricks each week, but that one signing made a dramatic difference.

Maybe something similar will happen with the team under Potter. Maybe a signing (or promoted youth/returning loan player) will be the thing that makes the goals (and points) flow.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I'm not Potter out, but of the two threads, this one seems the most appropriate to make this point.

The season before we got promoted to the premier league, from August to January we didn't win by more than one goal. Maybe the games didn't feel as close as the scorelines suggested but we were always one error or one piece of magic from dropping two points (and lagging behind the other teams at the top with regard to goal difference). In January we signed Anthony Knockaert and started winning by 2,3,4 and even 5 goals. That wasn't because AK was getting hattricks each week, but that one signing made a dramatic difference.

Maybe something similar will happen with the team under Potter. Maybe a signing (or promoted youth/returning loan player) will be the thing that makes the goals (and points) flow.

Hopefully thats Tau and a run of games for Mc Allister. They both looked good against Man City.

This is not a difficult question is it, it's a few wins. Not one win and then months' wait for another one, but a consistent series of 3-pointers. Potter is a lovely bloke as a person but has to be judged by the same standards as anyone else doing the job, the marks he's getting for artistic merit belong in ice skating I'm afraid not a billion pound league

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
Absolutely nothing, the guy is so far out of his depth. He needs to go and he needs to go now. Bloom and those fans that are still backing Piss Pot are ****ing this up. We should All be on his back to get shot of him, he’s so lucky we are not there. We need to find other ways to force Tony’s hand to get rid.

you need to smoke some weed fellah, the good shit

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
This is not a difficult question is it, it's a few wins. Not one win and then months' wait for another one, but a consistent series of 3-pointers. Potter is a lovely bloke as a person but has to be judged by the same standards as anyone else doing the job, the marks he's getting for artistic merit belong in ice skating I'm afraid not a billion pound league

what if his grandmother was irish?

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton

Depends if you’re looking long term... which I would suggest is what Bloom is doing.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
I'm currently Potter OUT, but as always, I'm happy to listen to others and change my opinion.

We have to win against Fulham, SFU and West Brom. Not loose to Blackpool in the cup (or any lower ranked team after that if drawn) and stay in the league.

If we stay up, I'll happy back him at the start of next season and if he shows he can learn from the losses and all the lessons handed to him, I'll continue to back him.

Smashing Palace would be the cherry on the top.

what if his grandmother was irish?

Probably the fifth time in recent times this oddball has replied to my posts with some dribble about Irish people. Generally people these days make a bit more of an effort to hide their bigotry but he's old school

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

How about relegated to assistant manager under Mark McGhee or Chris Hughton? That’d do it surely :wink:

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not me. I liked him when he first came and I gave him a season as he'd inherited CH's squad, needed to transform quickly and had the Covid curveball. All that I saw last season suggested we would kick on this season. And then........

So, we need to kick on. Win some games. Stop bloody drawing them. Right now we look like we will draw against good teams by giving them a run for their money and draw against bad teams by not breaking them down, not taking our chances and / or not holding the lead if we do manage to take it. West Brom an absolutely classic case in point, but Newport too.

It's probably "fine margins" but if we can still keep giving the likes of Liverpool and City a game in our free hits and turn the 0 or 1 pointers against the teams in our mini league to 3s then I'm back on board.

My caveat is that I don't believe he knows how to do that. Ostersunds and a season a Swansea does not prepare you for this league.

We're good at scoring, but not conceding.
We're good at not conceding, but not scoring.
We're less good at conceding but not scoring.
We're still less good at scoring but not conceding.

I'm still IN, given how he's developed the club in the long-term, bringing through players that Bloom has invested in from the Academy, and also developing exciting players (Webster, Bissouma, Lamptey). I still say at present that I'd want him even if we get relegated, but it would be really nice if we can change the above. There needs to be more positive results in our fixtures (ie not draws), and we need to start winning some if we want to stay up.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Considering Bloom thought Hughton was putting our PL status at risk god knows what’s going through his head now. I understood it as he needs the club to stay up all costs otherwise he has to dip his pocket again for the missing £25m a season in the championship.

I’m surprised at the lax attitude by some about relegation could set us back years.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Considering Bloom thought Hughton was putting our PL status at risk god knows what’s going through his head now.

Those performances at home to Bournemouth & Cardiff were just horrific. The players’ minds and confidence had gone, we just looked like we’d forgotten how to maintain possession and play any sort of attacking football allied to awful defending.

Contrast that with our game against Sheff Utd at home under Potter. The amount of chances we created was amazing. Swap Connolly or Maupay for Ings and you’re looking at a 4-1 win, we created that many big chances.

I assume Bloom is hoping we’ll finish chances prior to to January the 31st, if not, we’ll be spending £20m-£30m on a player who can take the majority of big chances presented.

I think Maupay, Welbeck, Connolly, Zeqiri & Tau have 4 fixtures to prove they can put the ball in the back of the net. If not, they’ll be replaced sooner or later.

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
I'm Potter out, but only if there's a suitable replacement lined up. I'd love for him to turn things around though as when we're at our best under him, we are a joy to watch. In answer to the question:

Short term - wins against Leeds and Fulham.

Long term - it'd be reaching 40 points by the end of the season. Anything less than that would be a backwards step that wouldn't inspire me with confidence that GP is suddenly going to transform us next year to help us progress past last season's 41 points.

How about relegated to assistant manager under Mark McGhee or Chris Hughton? That’d do it surely :wink:

Ah good to see you’ve calmed down from your emotional joy on Wednesday

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
Considering Bloom thought Hughton was putting our PL status at risk god knows what’s going through his head now. I understood it as he needs the club to stay up all costs otherwise he has to dip his pocket again for the missing £25m a season in the championship.

I’m surprised at the lax attitude by some about relegation could set us back years.

I agree and made this point on another thread but people told me not to worry....

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here