Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] The Alternative Giraffe Tracker

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Many point to [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] 's tracker as a reliable guide to avoid bed wetting and, indeed, it has been so in the past.

However, there clearly is a lot of worry around at the moment, so why?

Let's take the same premise that you need 40 points. That means we need 27 points from 22 games. About 1.2 points a game.

This neatly breaks down as follows (allowing for between 13 and 7 defeats).

9 wins (13 defeats)
8 wins 3 draws
7 wins 6 draws
6 wins 9 draws (7 losses)

So, for all those positive happy clappers, which of those permutations looks the most likely? And, in which games do you see those points being achieved.

Before you ask me, I already think it's unachievable.

Not trying to bin off the normal tracker but this could be an interesting thread to bounce at the end of the season if people are prepared to put their heads above the parapet.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you can’t put your head above the parapet then you shouldn’t play with matches in the frying pan

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
7 wins 6 draws sounds pretty likely. Or 6 wins 6 draws, which wouldnt result in 40 points but probably the number of points needed in something around 9/10 PL seasons.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Many point to [MENTION=3734]Giraffe[/MENTION] 's tracker as a reliable guide to avoid bed wetting and, indeed, it has been so in the past.

However, there clearly is a lot of worry around at the moment, so why?

Let's take the same premise that you need 40 points. That means we need 27 points from 22 games. About 1.2 points a game.

This neatly breaks down as follows (allowing for between 13 and 7 defeats).

9 wins (13 defeats)
8 wins 3 draws
7 wins 6 draws
6 wins 9 draws (7 losses)

So, for all those positive happy clappers, which of those permutations looks the most likely? And, in which games do you see those points being achieved.

Before you ask me, I already think it's unachievable.

Not trying to bin off the normal tracker but this could be an interesting thread to bounce at the end of the season if people are prepared to put their heads above the parapet.

None of the above, but we won't need 40 points..............at the moment, though, struggling to see where one win will come from.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You are really desperate to sell your ultra negative take on Potter aren’t you? Come the end of the season, if you are right you can crow away but try putting that white flag away whilst there are so many points to play for.

You may get your wish and see Potter sacked but maybe TB will back him in January and we’ll see an upswing. Setting yourself up as the font of all knowledge about what is going to happen is pretty wearing, to me anyway.

We have been through so much more shit than what is going on at the moment, it’s depressing to see so many quitters on here.

Just trust in TB, he surely has that in the bank?

By all means rejoice if you get your way and Potter is sacked.

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Much less than 40 points will be sufficient to stay up.

This. It’s a proper s**tshow at the bottom of the league this year (which we are most definitely a part of). 35-36 points could probably be enough. 5 wins and 7 draws for me.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
7 wins 6 draws sounds pretty likely. Or 6 wins 6 draws, which wouldnt result in 40 points but probably the number of points needed in something around 9/10 PL seasons.

We have only won 5 games in the whole of 2020 in the Premier League. What do you see that makes you think we are going to get significantly better at winning?

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Im not thinking so much about points targets this year because I don't believe we will get anywhere near 40. So staying up will be a question of matching and occassionally bettering WBAs and Fulham's results for the remainder of the season.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
8 wins 3 draws 11 defeats sounds realistic, but we won't achieve it, without significant change.

GP can't rally what we've got and I'm not convinced we'll see significant squad improvements in JAnuary

I was remarkably relaxed about yesterdays game, we're heading down. Nothing I can do about it, plenty for far more important things to be concerned about at the moment.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade

It sounds more likely that we'll win more between now and May than we did in the whole of 2020? But you're not prepared to call which ones?

Hmmm.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
We have only won 5 games in the whole of 2020 in the Premier League. What do you see that makes you think we are going to get significantly better at winning?

Some good football and a fair lot of chances created in most games. Not saying top 10 is around the corner but I think, whatever happens with squad, manager etc. that next year will be better than this year.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Sheffield Utd, West Brom and Fulham are all very poor teams indeed, I really can’t see any of the three finishing above 30 points. Palace & Newcastle are also poor and are catchable for any team below willing to find some good results. We’d have to lose our ability to draw to finish below any of these. We are much more likely to find some goal scoring form as it’s the icing on the cake that is ‘finishing big chances’ that will see us climb the table.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It sounds more likely that we'll win more between now and May than we did in the whole of 2020? But you're not prepared to call which ones?

Hmmm.

Yup I think so. Not sure (no one could be) about which ones but if Im going to predict: Leeds away, Fulham home, Burnley away, Palace home, Newcastle home, Sheffield away,

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Some good football and a fair lot of chances created in most games. Not saying top 10 is around the corner but I think, whatever happens with squad, manager etc. that next year will be better than this year.

That is what I have seen since Graham Potter took over. Including the whole of 2020. I don't see what is going to be different. He is trying but it isn't working. All thats missing is the wins and I don't know how Potter is going to bring that.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Hmmm.

That is the premise of Giraffe's tracker.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Yup I think so. Not sure (no one could be) about which ones but if Im going to predict: Leeds away, Fulham home, Burnley away, Palace home, Newcastle home, Sheffield away,

We’re generally good away where an average non top six side comes for us (see Newcastle & Villa). The home games you quote have draw written all over them though.

Realistic away wins are:
Leeds
Burnley
West Brom
S’ampton
Sheff Utd
Wolves
Arsenal

That‘s 21 points that we can go for (with even more confidence if a natural Striker has been signed).

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009

The only team we haven't played this season is Leeds. The only game we have won this season is Newcastle. Again what do you see that makes you think we will turn those draws into wins.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The only team we haven't played this season is Leeds. The only game we have won this season is Newcastle. Again what do you see that makes you think we will turn those draws into wins.

Generally being better than at least some of those teams are what makes me think at least a couple of those draws could be turned into wins. Winning, drawing or losing against a team doesnt mean every game against that team will have the same outcome, despite many apparently believing this is the case.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here