Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Two players taking the same corner?

Worried Man Blues

Feb 28, 2009
Swansea
I would want a predator like the lion in the box to pounce on balls headed down by our centre backs...............GGRRRR

Last edited:

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Do you really not understand that the point is to keep the defence and keeper guessing if it will be an in or out swinger, a short corner etc?

Put it this way, why do teams put two players over a direct free kick?

This has all been covered from when I bounced this thread yesterday, read from post #142.

Yesterday MacAllister took I’m guessing 7 or more corners, do you honestly think the Blackpool defence and keeper thought Tau was suddenly going to hit one after the 5th?

I may be wrong but after watching football for over 40 years, if I’ve seen a short corner taken the other player ( not the taker ) doesn’t stand behind the corner flag, he’s usually on the pitch.

Having 2 players at the corner may work for some games, but I’m saying it looked pointless after the 5th corner yesterday.

Free kicks, players have been doing this for ever.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
This has all been covered from when I bounced this thread yesterday, read from post #142.

Yesterday MacAllister took I’m guessing 7 or more corners, do you honestly think the Blackpool defence and keeper thought Tau was suddenly going to hit one after the 5th?

I may be wrong but after watching football for over 40 years, if I’ve seen a short corner taken the other player ( not the taker ) doesn’t stand behind the corner flag, he’s usually on the pitch.

Having 2 players at the corner may work for some games, but I’m saying it looked pointless after the 5th corner yesterday.

Free kicks, players have been doing this for ever.

Well there’s clear evidence that it’s worked for us. In answer to your question regarding Tau, of course it will be in their minds. Perhaps they look at the defensive shape in the box prior to the corner and decide between themselves. The degree of success of previous corners will of course have an effect and we created good chances from our first two.

Regarding short corners, it’s not exactly difficult to run onto the pitch to create that option and a defender has probably already been drawn out to the edge of the box to defend the possibility of us doing exactly that. If not, it’s a good variant.

The fact is we suddenly look dangerous again at corners. I don’t really understand why people are being so negative about the catalyst.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Do you really not understand that the point is to keep the defence and keeper guessing if it will be an in or out swinger, a short corner etc?

Put it this way, why do teams put two players over a direct free kick?

Also, if their defence is not 100% ready, you can do as with Dunks goal against West Ham (?), play it short to the other taker who can advance to a better position for the cross while their defenders are also confused and stressed about this move. The two corner takers thing create extra confusion and increase the number of options, making it harder to defend against.

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
Also, if their defence is not 100% ready, you can do as with Dunks goal against West Ham (?), play it short to the other taker who can advance to a better position for the cross while their defenders are also confused and stressed about this move. The two corner takers thing create extra confusion and increase the number of options, making it harder to defend against.

Yep. Whereas Alexis MacAllister standing over a corner on the right side of the pitch is 100% an inswinger.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Well there’s clear evidence that it’s worked for us. In answer to your question regarding Tau, of course it will be in their minds. Perhaps they look at the defensive shape in the box prior to the corner and decide between themselves. The degree of success of previous corners will of course have an effect and we created good chances from our first two.

Regarding short corners, it’s not exactly difficult to run onto the pitch to create that option and a defender has probably already been drawn out to the edge of the box to defend the possibility of us doing exactly that. If not, it’s a good variant.

The fact is we suddenly look dangerous again at corners. I don’t really understand why people are being so negative about the catalyst.

https://twitter.com/westham/status/1343315721791614979?s=21

West Ham highlights, the short corner which we actually scored from, this is what I meant from the position of the non taking player.

In one match recently ( I honestly can’t remember which one ) the tv camera was above when we had a corner, my youngest son pointed out to me you can see who is going to take it, he said the position of the ball and the players.
He said if one player tried to take the corner he would kick the flag pole.
You could argue the defenders can’t actually see this from where they are positioned, but he was right.

I’m happy if the routine works and leads to goals from corners, I’m just making a point about yesterday, Alex Mac was taking very good corners, Tau wasn’t needed.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset

Totally agree. It causes doubt for the oppo and gives us the short corner option. But it might also have a placebo effect on our players. For whatever reason (may be Ali Mac??) we have started scoring again from corners. It 'seems' to correlate with the two players at the corner flag. Whether it is the cause or not, there seems to be more determination and expectation from the players waiting in the box. That can be enough in sport to give you the advantage.

(we'd be really bloody dangerous if our CBs didn't head over the bar quite so often!!)

Skaville

Jun 10, 2004
Queens Park
https://twitter.com/westham/status/1343315721791614979?s=21

I’m just making a point about yesterday, Alex Mac was taking very good corners, Tau wasn’t needed.

Except it creates indecision in the opposition minds, it draws a defender out from the box, it gives another option if the defensive set up seems prone to an outswinger/inswinger! The fact he is there give us more space better options which makes MacAllister’s corner better!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Except it creates indecision in the opposition minds, it draws a defender out from the box, it gives another option if the defensive set up seems prone to an outswinger/inswinger! The fact he is there give us more space better options which makes MacAllister’s corner better!

This, & let’s face it Percy is hardly a target for an in swinging corner when Dunk, Webster & Burn struggle half the time to get high enough.

You also never know, a team somewhere down the line won’t place the player closer to the two players taking the corner, and they see a gap and whamo they work a pre practised quick short free kick and bam goal, then we will all be saying genius....

From that point on, teams will definitely not know what we’re doing.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven

We are going round in circles here chap :lolol:

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
The excellent Michael Cox has done a very good piece in The Athletic this week about the merits of a short corner if you're interested including highlighting our goal against Arsenal last season:

https://theathletic.co.uk/2335224/2021/01/26/10-reasons-to-take-or-fake-a-short-corner/

Searching for this thread though, it was funny to see numerous threads started every season under different managers complaining about our ability to score from or defend corners! :)

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Mac Alister took 3 corners against Blackpool right on the money, 3 great chances created. Tonight he’s back on the edge of the box, as March takes responsibility and delivery is shite. It can’t be that hard for a professional footballer to take a ****ing corner

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Yeah, it's pointless, the person who put the ball down took every corner, and none were short. As a tactic, whatever, but it leaves us short elsewhere. Once in the second half they broke straight off our corner and got a shot away, we missed a man in midfield. That concerned me.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
:shrug: Shite

Third corner at approximately 24 minutes, it was so obvious that Trossard was going to take it.
And as mentioned above, MacAllister looked good on Saturday, not one taken this evening.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
That’s the key.

One of the players can run on to the pitch for a short corner, the opposition need to guard for this. Added to the difficulty in picking an in-swinger or out-swinger, it’s hardly surprising that tactical genius Pep uses this method too.

Fair enough but if Gross takes every one, there is no surprise at all.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Gross is in the team to take set pieces and penalties, otherwise he offers very little. He did get White in behind to pull a good ball across the face of the box, but otherwise? I'm not sure I can understand playing him. Mac Allister should be on all set pieces and Alzate or Propper should be in for Gross.

Quinney

Aug 3, 2009
Hastings
Gross is in the team to take set pieces and penalties, otherwise he offers very little. He did get White in behind to pull a good ball across the face of the box, but otherwise? I'm not sure I can understand playing him. Mac Allister should be on all set pieces and Alzate or Propper should be in for Gross.

Gross has been playing well in centre of midfield but set piece delivery has been shocking. Get Mac Allister back on delivery.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
We should have some short ones today. They frequently only had one out defending it, plus their goalie is always going to claim anything close to him

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
We should have some short ones today. They frequently only had one out defending it, plus their goalie is always going to claim anything close to him

This. And the single defender was about 15 yards away.

It’s so obvious that the person placing the ball is the one who is going to take the corner/ free kick

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
:shrug: Shite

Third corner at approximately 24 minutes, it was so obvious that Trossard was going to take it.
And as mentioned above, MacAllister looked good on Saturday, not one taken this evening.

I think it matter less who takes it, but there has to be an element of uncertainty if you have two out there, surely that's the point of it?

Every corner we had it was obvious who was taking it. We need more mystery and variety

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here