Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa throwing themselves to the floor.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
OK, I got my coat and went for a long walk. I had a look at that video again and, yes, it is embarrassing.

I'm still not budging, though. He's an amazing talent. There is more than a faint whiff of hypocrisy, borne of envy, masquerading as rightous indignation, on this thread.

I'd rather sigh about the occasional cheating (which is far less unpleasant than all the foot-treading and ankle stamping that goes on in every game now, and all the insane lunges and red-mist ****wittery, including the recent Dunk sending off), albeit the lad should be retrospectively done for simulation, if it is proveable. Meanwhile, strap on a seat belt and enjoy the show.

Big Yves knew how to deal with the lad, and did him good and propper a couple of times. You have to be good to do him without fouling him. And boy did I love it when Bissouma did him :shrug:

If, at some point, I see the floppy haired one recklessly endangering an opponent then I might get a bit upset.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I would quite like a system like in Tennis or Cricket, where each side gets a certain number of reviews per match.

In the sending off that Grealish engineered for Lamptey- Brighton could have asked for a review, if upheld it doesn't come off the teams tally, if rejected it does.

You could only have a limited number of reviews or it would just be stop start all the time, but it would go someway to stopping blatant cheating like the Grealish on Lamptey, and last nights Grealish v Wet Sham.

If we have to have VAR (Id prefer to bin it) then lets use it to stop clear and obvious cheating

That'll go down well with the anti-VAR brigade :lolol:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
OK, I got my coat and went for a long walk. I had a look at that video again and, yes, it is embarrassing.

I'm still not budging, though. He's an amazing talent. There is more than a faint whiff of hypocrisy, borne of envy, masquerading as rightous indignation, on this thread.

I'd rather sigh about the occasional cheating (which is far less unpleasant than all the foot-treading and ankle stamping that goes on in every game now, and all the insane lunges and red-mist ****wittery, including the recent Dunk sending off), albeit the lad should be retrospectively done for simulation, if it is proveable. Meanwhile, strap on a seat belt and enjoy the show.

Big Yves knew how to deal with the lad, and did him good and propper a couple of times. You have to be good to do him without fouling him. And boy did I love it when Bissouma did him :shrug:

If, at some point, I see the floppy haired one recklessly endangering an opponent then I might get a bit upset.

No.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

Deluded.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I do think Connolly should stay up more sometimes and he does get close to diving. Hopefully he grows out of it, but I don't recall him outright cheating over and over.
Cant recall a situation where he has dived Palace away defo pen as like Man Utd second one.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Grealish is, as has been pointed out, different to almost anyone else I can think of in that he's actively looking for free kicks all the time. The only similar case would be Bruno Fernandes or Mo Salah, and even they only tend to do it in the penalty area.

Even Zaha doesn't do this to the same extent. Watch Grealish in action: every time he feels contact, he jumps and throws himself forwards. Zaha just crumples or loses his shit, whereas Grealish physically manufactures forward motion, which is not remotely the direction gravity would take you in most cases.

It was pointed out to me last night by Hotchilidog that Grealish dives INTO any challenge he thinks he cannot win (or keep) the ball from. I think that's exactly it.

The statistic about him being the most fouled player is an utter sham. He wins the most free kicks: I bet half of them aren't actual fouls.

Iford Albion

Jul 30, 2017
Ladies. Pull up your knickers and make me a cup of tea.

If Grealish was a Brighton boy, in our team, we'd have 24 hour boners. Fact. :shrug:

Not true for me. I loved knocky but always felt a bit ashamed when he did a Grealish.

Both would be much better players if they didn’t cheat. Neither could play for the Albion now because it wouldn’t be tolerated. There is an admirable philosophy at work in our club which will pay dividends even in the context of the morally bankrupt premier league. And I also like VAR because it puts cheating and ref bias under more scrutiny. Maupay could fall foul of our no dickhead policy soon. Would quite like to see zeqiri etc get a chance. Maybe even a reformed Andone but not sure that is going to happen.

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
CA0B3BCF-2E2A-4412-9D91-0DBD2274A4FE.jpegCA0B3BCF-2E2A-4412-9D91-0DBD2274A4FE.jpegCA0B3BCF-2E2A-4412-9D91-0DBD2274A4FE.jpeg

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
I would quite like a system like in Tennis or Cricket, where each side gets a certain number of reviews per match.
Not madly keen on that idea, but it would have some merit if the VAR was only allowed to intervene when one of thwe teams used one of their reviews.

In the sending off that Grealish engineered for Lamptey- Brighton could have asked for a review, if upheld it doesn't come off the teams tally, if rejected it does.
I think VAR did feview it.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Cant recall a situation where he has dived Palace away defo pen as like Man Utd second one.

I dont think Connelly dives in box. However outside when ball played to him his first option seems to be to look for free kick. Think he does this because at moment he doesnt have the ability to hold up play or turn defender

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
So what's happened here is Watkins was being wrestled in the penalty area, causing him to raise his arm in order to break free, which he did, and then he scored.

Except that VAR focused on the offside when the arm was offside as the ball was kicked.

So Watkins tries to stay on his feet and the goal is chalked off, but if he'd gone to ground VAR would have reviewed not an offside but a possible penalty and clearly seen the defender was all over him.

Therefore, by missing the possible penalty VAR is effectively encouraging players to go to ground on contact. Watkins - who may have been an honest pro up until now - will no doubt start going to ground like his teammates Grealish and Trezeguet.

So well done VAR - penalising honesty and rewarding dishonesty.

1. Villa are clutching at straws. On one hand he’s offside anyway, so any penalty would NOT be given by VAR even if proven. On the other - given that he escaped the ‘holding’ o actually score, it’s a bit hard to argue that he was significantly impeded.

2. On ‘honest pro’ Watkins... skip to 2:10 in this. Shameless.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
1. Villa are clutching at straws. On one hand he’s offside anyway, so any penalty would NOT be given by VAR even if proven. On the other - given that he escaped the ‘holding’ o actually score, it’s a bit hard to argue that he was significantly impeded.

1. Watkins makes his run and is impeded in the box before the ball is kicked, so the first offence is the hold, although it is split second.

2. Fair point, although he has some way to go before he's in Grealish's league.

I see the Dutch have their own system - not backed by UEFA - with 10cm 'grace'. The VAR lines are 5cm thick and if there's any overlap the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
1. Watkins makes his run and is impeded in the box before the ball is kicked, so the first offence is the hold, although it is split second.

2. Fair point, although he has some way to go before he's in Grealish's league.

I see the Dutch have their own system - not backed by UEFA - with 10cm 'grace'. The VAR lines are 5cm thick and if there's any overlap the benefit of the doubt goes to the attacker.

once again - he clearly wasn’t (in any genuine sense) impeded - he scored!

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
What you mean Lallana who's won the champions league, premier league and numerous caps for England who carried Southampton through the divisions.. Yes.

As for Trossard I think he is basically Grealish without the cheating, scores and assists, takes players on is capped for a far better national side. I'd also put Bissouma in the catagory of as good as if not better despite playing different positions.

Yes, the same Lallana who played a grand total of 104 minutes in Liverpool's champions league winning run and 373 minutes in their Premier League winning season so I don't really think that's a particularly great comeback. I like Lallana a lot and he's an important player for us but he's not and hasn't been at Grealish's level of performance and consistency.

And Trossard?! Come on, seriously. Goals and assists? Ok:

2019/2020:

Trossard: 5 goals - 3 assists;
Grealish: 10 goals - 8 assists;

2020/2021:

Trossard: 1 goal - 1 assist;
Grealish: 6 goals - 6 assists.

For all the talent he has, Trossard is one of our most frustrating and inconsistent players. Grealish turns up every game. Villa are incredibly lucky to have him.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Referees wised up to Zaha eventually and they will do with Grealish and the other Villa cheats.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Not madly keen on that idea, but it would have some merit if the VAR was only allowed to intervene when one of thwe teams used one of their reviews.

I think VAR did feview it.

I don't think so.

Only for Red Card offences.

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020
Yes, the same Lallana who played a grand total of 104 minutes in Liverpool's champions league winning run and 373 minutes in their Premier League winning season so I don't really think that's a particularly great comeback. I like Lallana a lot and he's an important player for us but he's not and hasn't been at Grealish's level of performance and consistency.

And Trossard?! Come on, seriously. Goals and assists? Ok:

2019/2020:

Trossard: 5 goals - 3 assists;
Grealish: 10 goals - 8 assists;

2020/2021:

Trossard: 1 goal - 1 assist;
Grealish: 6 goals - 6 assists.

For all the talent he has, Trossard is one of our most frustrating and inconsistent players. Grealish turns up every game. Villa are incredibly lucky to have him.

How many medals does Grealish have? Because Trossard and Lallana have more. So I don't particularly think that's a particularly great comeback especially considering you didn't post big chance stats and minutes played for Trossard. Furthmore, your argument about Trossard being frustrating is a personal opinion not a fact because I find Grealish frustrating to watch. Also, Grealish goes missing quite a bit to be fair, the playoff final against Fulham for example the game against Leeds recently another example, didn't see much of him in their relegation battle last year either. Furthermore, if goal line tech was working Villa and Grealish would be playing championship football so does he really turn up every game? Barely saw him against us a few weeks ago as well .

Nameless

Jul 7, 2020

Kind of adds to the presumption that they specifically look for players who fit the go down easily narrative. Maybe that's why they paid so much for him. Regardless this has turned into a Grealish thread but there are quite a few Villa players that do it. Watkins and Trezeguet also do it a fair bit.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here