Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Aston Villa throwing themselves to the floor.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Watching the Villa games without crowd noise is fascinating.

The squeals after each challenge, get louder when they are in a dangerous position.
Connolly, Maupay and others go down easy undeniably, but not in the same orchestrated way that Villa do.

It's a deliberate tactic.
The constant media mantra, of Grealish being the most fouled player, is playing into their hands.

We need MOTD/Sky to analyse this tactic, like they did with Murray drawing fouls, so the refs can cotton on.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

The squeals after each challenge, get louder when they are in a dangerous position.
Connolly, Maupay and others go down easy undeniably, but not in the same orchestrated way that Villa do.

The constant media mantra, of Grealish being the most fouled player, is playing into their hands.

We need MOTD/Sky to analyse this tactic, like they did with Murray drawing fouls, so the refs can cotton on.

Perhaps someone with Twitter can send that excellent suggestion to Neville, Carragher and Lineker ?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
So what's happened here is Watkins was being wrestled in the penalty area, causing him to raise his arm in order to break free, which he did, and then he scored.

Except that VAR focused on the offside when the arm was offside as the ball was kicked.

So Watkins tries to stay on his feet and the goal is chalked off, but if he'd gone to ground VAR would have reviewed not an offside but a possible penalty and clearly seen the defender was all over him.

Therefore, by missing the possible penalty VAR is effectively encouraging players to go to ground on contact. Watkins - who may have been an honest pro up until now - will no doubt start going to ground like his teammates Grealish and Trezeguet.

So well done VAR - penalising honesty and rewarding dishonesty.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield

I suspect if you exclude his simulations he would be one of the least fouled players.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
So what's happened here is Watkins was being wrestled in the penalty area, causing him to raise his arm in order to break free, which he did, and then he scored.

Except that VAR focused on the offside when the arm was offside as the ball was kicked.

So Watkins tries to stay on his feet and the goal is chalked off, but if he'd gone to ground VAR would have reviewed not an offside but a possible penalty and clearly seen the defender was all over him.

Therefore, by missing the possible penalty VAR is effectively encouraging players to go to ground on contact. Watkins - who may have been an honest pro up until now - will no doubt start going to ground like his teammates Grealish and Trezeguet.

So well done VAR - penalising honesty and rewarding dishonesty.

I’m not a fan of VAR but it could be argued that it was the VAR operators rather than the VAR process itself that missed the foul ie human error. Gary Neville articulated this view last night. There were no English refs at the last World Cup so maybe we need to be headhunting from abroad. Personally though I don’t think it’s life and death whether or not a penalty is given especially since it remains subjective. I would rather not lose the 2 and a half minutes it took to endlessly analyze to death the ref’s decision.

Last edited:

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
It's not just that - for all his on-field faults, Zaha appears to be actually quite a nice guy. Grealish has proven again and again, on-field and off, that he is just a dribbly bag of shit.

Zaha is our pantomime villain.

Grealish is just a c***

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Footballer gets breathed on - screams as he hits the floor and writhes in agony.

Formula 1 driver hits barrier at 150mph, suffers 53G retardation, is engulfed in flames - hops over barrier and runs away.

I assume the players have always screamed but it previously never rang round the stadium.

Gotta admit I do rather admire the lack of self respect it must require to:-

- Cheat.
- Exaggerate the cheating.
- Scream
&
- Earn £100,000 a week.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
In our game at VP, when Grealish backed into Lamptey and fell over, he screamed in pain, as did Trezeugeut when he went down for the penalty. Both cheats, as 1. Grealish wasn't even fouled, and 2. Trezeugeut must be made of crisps to be hurt by Solly's tap.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
4 defeats out of 5 for Villa.
They beat Arsenal but who can't beat Arsenal these days.
Don't rule out a (nother) relegation battle...

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
On the game last night I thought they were very good and even more unlucky then we were against United
They are one of worst for diving. Because penalties given for very little all forwards are at it. When I first saw VAR replay for the penalty I thought he would book forward for diving. See more and more penalties now and less and less bookings for diving. Hard to understand why Grealish doesnt receive retrospective booking for his dive.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
15-20 years ago Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Lee Bowyer, Kevin Davies, Duncan Ferguson, etc. would have told him in a firm manner that this is not how we do it and if you do it again you'll end up in a wheelchair.

Today that type of player (and probably personality overall) doesnt exist. And VAR surely doesnt help - diving must have increased doubled as there is usually a small chance that there was a light touch or something.

Personally I would be disgusted to see a diver of the magnitude of Grealish in the Brighton shirt. The embarrassment would remove any good feelings about his skills. As it is now, I'm struggling to enjoy seeing Aaron Connolly on the pitch as he is always looking for free-kicks and penalties. But he is yet to do one of those pathetic dives when no-one is around, so he is still (barely) balancing on the rope. I sure hope it stays that way. Rough, dirty players that tries to break a leg or two is fine, diving... unacceptable.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
I would quite like a system like in Tennis or Cricket, where each side gets a certain number of reviews per match.

In the sending off that Grealish engineered for Lamptey- Brighton could have asked for a review, if upheld it doesn't come off the teams tally, if rejected it does.

You could only have a limited number of reviews or it would just be stop start all the time, but it would go someway to stopping blatant cheating like the Grealish on Lamptey, and last nights Grealish v Wet Sham.

If we have to have VAR (Id prefer to bin it) then lets use it to stop clear and obvious cheating

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I would quite like a system like in Tennis or Cricket, where each side gets a certain number of reviews per match.

In the sending off that Grealish engineered for Lamptey- Brighton could have asked for a review, if upheld it doesn't come off the teams tally, if rejected it does.

You could only have a limited number of reviews or it would just be stop start all the time, but it would go someway to stopping blatant cheating like the Grealish on Lamptey, and last nights Grealish v Wet Sham.

If we have to have VAR (Id prefer to bin it) then lets use it to stop clear and obvious cheating

The commentators, pundits, even the former refs are all saying players should go to ground, it's been normalised to the extent players are criticised if they try and stay on their feet..

If there is contact then that's enough, regardless of the theatrical nature of the fall. The battle is lost.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
15-20 years ago Roy Keane, Patrick Vieira, Lee Bowyer, Kevin Davies, Duncan Ferguson, etc. would have told him in a firm manner that this is not how we do it and if you do it again you'll end up in a wheelchair.

Today that type of player (and probably personality overall) doesnt exist. And VAR surely doesnt help - diving must have increased doubled as there is usually a small chance that there was a light touch or something.

Personally I would be disgusted to see a diver of the magnitude of Grealish in the Brighton shirt. The embarrassment would remove any good feelings about his skills. As it is now, I'm struggling to enjoy seeing Aaron Connolly on the pitch as he is always looking for free-kicks and penalties. But he is yet to do one of those pathetic dives when no-one is around, so he is still (barely) balancing on the rope. I sure hope it stays that way. Rough, dirty players that tries to break a leg or two is fine, diving... unacceptable.

Yeh, I was a bit saddened to see Alzate go down softly once or twice last season

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Won’t be doing it on Friday ..game against Newcastle off

This is bollocks

Newcastle could field a team. They just want it off because they've got other injuries

Seen Bruce this week going on about how he's worried about everyone at the club. Bollocks is he.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here