Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Alzate and Molumby

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
I had high hopes for both of these this season. However neither have had a look in really so far. Its a long season and no doubt we will see them in the coming weeks.

However I think both players need game time for their development could you see either or one of these go out on loan in January?

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
It depends what happens with the forgotten man, Davy Propper. Too many players are thrust out into the cold at the moment for my liking. I think we'll keep Alzate whatever happens but it would be in Molumby's interests to get out and play some first team games in the Championship. It won't benefit him sticking around here and I'd say the same thing for Sanchez or Walton too. It isn't good for them both to stick around, one or the other if not both should head out on loan if we can find takers.

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
definitely not alzate. he's shown multiple times that he's more than ready, I've found his lack of game time this season so far rather mystifying tbh. molumby could maybe head out on loan, especially if we bring moder back.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I could understand the lack of Molumby and Alzate more if we were overstocked in that area, but we aren't. Bissouma has been the rock-solid pick but we've been trying to crowbar Ben White in there. I can understand the mentality in some games (where you want someone to sit deeper, such as the Liverpool game just gone) but in games where we're more likely to have the ball and go forward IMHO we need the more dynamic Alzate in there. Lallana obviously gets the nod when fit, but is he? Judging by the weekend clearly not.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
All very well saying they should get more game time, but who out of the current regulars are you going to drop for either?

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
With a squad, you're inevitably going to get players who don't play every week and will therefore want a move so we do have to face up to the fact we might lose some players that ideally we don't want to. Based on previous interviews he's given, I'll be amazed if Molumby doesn't push for a move in January.

Alzate's disappearance is still a mystery. He was man of the match against Man Utd.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
With a squad, you're inevitably going to get players who don't play every week and will therefore want a move so we do have to face up to the fact we might lose some players that ideally we don't want to. Based on previous interviews he's given, I'll be amazed if Molumby doesn't push for a move in January.

Alzate's disappearance is still a mystery. He was man of the match against Man Utd.

Yes, it's all very well some people saying 'loan out Molumby to a Championship club' - but they seem to be forgetting (or ignoring) the fact that he's been there, done it, got the T-shirt and had a very successful full season at a good level in the Championship.
It requires a very fine balancing act - we obviously have to pick our best possible team for every match, but Molumby, Alzate - and Sanchez - have all returned to the Albion after successful season long loans; if we're not careful, we could lose all three.

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
Yes, it's all very well some people saying 'loan out Molumby to a Championship club' - but they seem to be forgetting (or ignoring) the fact that he's been there, done it, got the T-shirt and had a very successful full season at a good level in the Championship.
It requires a very fine balancing act - we obviously have to pick our best possible team for every match, but Molumby, Alzate - and Sanchez - have all returned to the Albion after successful season long loans; if we're not careful, we could lose all three.

And possibly with Moder to come in

Gross and Bissouma don't deserve to be dropped

Interesting to me that Molumby came on in front of Alzate against Villa

The opening for them is that Lallana doesn't look ready to feature regularly and we'll inevitably have to rotate around the xmas period as we did last year.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011

The opening for them is that Lallana doesn't look ready to feature regularly and we'll inevitably have to rotate around the xmas period as we did last year.

Only thing I can see for Molumby coming on is that he is more defensive and potentially more physical of the two, probably to just pack midfield in the last minutes.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Their time will come. Short pre-season + fixture congestion + impending shit weather + suspensions = game time for Alzate and Molumby.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011

Not sure this is a factor.
Lallana is being looked at to be more of a 10 for us.

I'm surprised that Alzate hasn't featured more.]
I'm sure his time will come.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Their time will come. Short pre-season + fixture congestion + impending shit weather + suspensions = game time for Alzate and Molumby.

This and then they need to take their chances when they do arrive rather as Gross has done. Cup games in January too. Think Alzate in particular is unlucky but his chance will come again. I see no reason to bring Moder in early at this point.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Not sure why you are obsessed with the idea that once you've had a good season in the Championship, you would get nothing out of playing there again. There is no reason why he couldnt learn a lot more and continue developing from playing in the Championship. He said himself in the summer that he would rather be loaned out if he is not going to play regularly and I dont think he would say that if he thought he would gain nothing from another season there.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
My take continues to be that something is wrong with Alzate. I remember last season when he suddenly disappeared and only featured sparingly and it turned out he was carrying some injury niggle pretty much from October onwards that they were hoping would self-heal but in the end required surgery. With his massive injury history, I wouldnt be surprised if its something similar this time around. Cant be sure of course, but I think something is up.

As for Molumby he has shown that he is a) clearly talented and b) got some way to go. He often gets praise that he covers a lot of ground and I agree with it. The problem is that he needs to improve his understanding of where he should be and when. Covering a lot of ground also means leaving a lot of space open, something that gets punished at this level. I'm sure they are working hard to imrpove his tactical awareness, because he really got everything else that it takes to become a good PL midfielder. I'm hopeful that getting coached about this right now and then perhaps six months of practisising his new knowledge in the Championship is going to make him a valuable part for next season, but I doubt we will see much of him this year.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Loan them out to Jurgen 'Bare Bones' Klopp :thumbsup:

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Just what the feck are you suggesting there ??

Relegation ?

No way bro, what I meant is that the staff is likely teaching him a lot of stuff right now, and that he should probably spend six months in the Championship to practice the stuff he learnt before coming back in the summer to be a valuable part of the first Brighton squad to reach the top 10 in the top division.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I could understand the lack of Molumby and Alzate more if we were overstocked in that area, but we aren't. Bissouma has been the rock-solid pick but we've been trying to crowbar Ben White in there. I can understand the mentality in some games (where you want someone to sit deeper, such as the Liverpool game just gone) but in games where we're more likely to have the ball and go forward IMHO we need the more dynamic Alzate in there. Lallana obviously gets the nod when fit, but is he? Judging by the weekend clearly not.

I'm one of those that supported the move to put White in there. It took me 45 minutes to realise it, initially frustrated that he wasn't finding the space that Alzate does, but then the penny dropped that this was about shoring us up against teams that sit deep and hit on the break. We've been so bad for so long at defending the break that the change was needed, and White's role was to sit on their attackers rather than find space, so that when we lost the ball we're not exposed. Less clinical at attacking through the middle, sure, but far less risk at going a goal down to the break and then having to break down a packed defence. It's less needed against teams like Liverpool who are always on the front foot, but against Palace, Burnley it made sense.

I think it worked. And when we don't need White in there Bissouma + Lallana /Gross have simply been ahead of Alzate in the pecking order. His time will come again.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Alzate is a Colombian international. He isn't going anywhere on loan.

um bongo molongo

Jul 26, 2004
Battersea
My take continues to be that something is wrong with Alzate. I remember last season when he suddenly disappeared and only featured sparingly and it turned out he was carrying some injury niggle pretty much from October onwards that they were hoping would self-heal but in the end required surgery. With his massive injury history, I wouldnt be surprised if its something similar this time around. Cant be sure of course, but I think something is up.

As for Molumby he has shown that he is a) clearly talented and b) got some way to go. He often gets praise that he covers a lot of ground and I agree with it. The problem is that he needs to improve his understanding of where he should be and when. Covering a lot of ground also means leaving a lot of space open, something that gets punished at this level. I'm sure they are working hard to imrpove his tactical awareness, because he really got everything else that it takes to become a good PL midfielder. I'm hopeful that getting coached about this right now and then perhaps six months of practisising his new knowledge in the Championship is going to make him a valuable part for next season, but I doubt we will see much of him this year.

I’m with you on Alzate. Didn’t he have COVID? Much though I love him, I do feel we’ve looked more secure at the back with alternative midfield combos though. But he won’t go on loan, too good (and versatile) for that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here