Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Does Graham Potter get enough praise

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
To be honest, I was a bit concerned when the 2 home games against relegation rivals WBA and Burnley produced only 2 points, then also remembering the long period of games without a win before lockdown last season.
That said, he hasn't buckled in his attractive style of play against often on paper better teams, and is now getting a few more points that in earlier games the team deserved to get.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
Potter's game plan gives us plenty of scoring opportunities and limits the number of the opposition's opportunities.

I can't help but wonder where we would be with the resources of a bigger club.

I don't think it will be long before one of said bigger clubs realises this too.

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
He's very good.

Two things stand out. One, nearly all of our tinkerings and changes this season have been to the defensive side of the game. For a manager we think about as an attacking, progressive manager, certainly compared to Hughton, it is clear that Potter has focused heavily on our defence and sorting that side out. Build from the back as they say. And the results are pretty clear, only Spurs have scored more than one in our last six games, the shots against are drying up. Six goals against in six games, after we shipped ten in a week against United (twice) and Everton.

Two, he takes the long view. Its not just about the next game, its about blooding and developing players and looking ahead. Bissouma was eased in for ages, the odd appearance here or there, and then bam, suddenly first choice. The Spurs game where he dropped several and took what came. Not changing tactics for one-off games but persisting with his method. Its impressive in such an unforgiving league.

I remain convinced that there will a reversion to the mean and the goals will come. Can't keep making this many chances and not see the goals follow, surely...

Supporters want to be entertained.

Our one & only season in the top flight when we didn’t struggle we played defence football, crowds walked away & Mike Bailey was sacked. Some 40 years later we still haven’t reached such heights in the table but we are probably closer now than ever before & playing good footie, in a lovely ground too. We could be on the brink of something really good.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
Well quite a lot of the most critical people are only here when the team loses or draws against a weak side.
Most weeks then.

Some people love 'entertainment'

Others prefer winning games.

Stupid thread imho. If we start getting results then he'll get credit.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
Most weeks then.

Some people love 'entertainment'

Others prefer winning games.

Stupid thread imho. If we start getting results then he'll get credit.

Some people love football, others love scoreboards.

Some people love euphoric feelings of happyness, others love to get wind up (upwinded?) and have something to unleash their anger at.

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
I’m on record as being fully on board with GP, even if the unthinkable happens. And I felt this way since last season even during difficult runs.

I fully respect him as a human and as a hugely talented young manager. He’s utterly transformed our club and our identity in a very short time. That said, he is also lucky to have us.. we are a perfect fit for him with our youth development.

If the club could recruit a little better up front I believe we could really be on the verge of something very special. He is tactically exceptional. The way we changed our style for Liverpool today is a case in point. And I also think his coaching is making notable differences across the squad. Notably such with Gross and Solly.

Seagull1989

Oct 31, 2011
A breath of fresh air after the Hughton days. I love watching us play at the moment, you know we are going to have chances every game.

10 points from 10 games is an Albion manager barely keeping his job, do we really have to do this messiah or idiot dichotomy every time

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
As has been said we are a short run of games away from potter being the darling of English football. Get 3 wins b2b and he will be touted as the next manage of *insert club here*.

Makes me laugh. Bad result? Lots of criticism. Good result? A great big **** off about how good he is.

Indeed - he might *gasp* just be competent at the level we are at. Let’s see if he really can give us a season without relegation fears. Then he’ll deserve all the smoke blown up his arse. It’s still just too early to tell

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I would never have believed 10 years ago that we could play Man U and Liverpool and really give them a game. Not just park the bus and hope for a set piece for a brave heroic victory.
Those tactics are not sustainable in the long term.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Not me. Like Cruijff used to say: when you are up, you make attacking changes to exploit that they are going forward. When you are down, you make a defensive sub to make sure you win the ball more quickly.

Obviously not always the right thing to do but today I think it was the right decision, needed to retake control of midfield or Liverpool would just have pretty much kept the ball until the end of the game.

Quite.

I was a bit bemused at first but then realised what he had done. The game plan had to change to a more conventional format and an extra man in midfield.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
We have the makings of a good team Potter is a wet blanket and will fall on his sword.We need better!

But who has developed it to the makings of a good team? Give you a clue - his initials are GP.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here