Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Technology] New TV'S and HDMI connectors

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Thanks for your link chap - I just bought that too, picking it up tomorrow. I've been in the market for a while, and have been hovering over a Sony Bravia 65" for £729. But that seemed a mite excessive sizewise for my living room. The spec on that LG is very close, and the 60" screen will fit better. £450, happy days.

Only thing is, going from HD to 4k I guess I'll have to upgrade to Sky Q, which is an extra £7 a month. But it will deliver Multiroom into the deal, which will make my son and the doris happy.

No problem. It's a cracking TV.

mwrpoole

Sep 10, 2010
Sevenoaks
My TV has just been written off by Currys repair service, I know have a voucher for a new one,
I know what size I want and am torn between LG and Samsung.

Most TV's now only have 2 HDMI connections I need 3 ( minimum) one for Sky One for Firestick and one for surround sound system.
I would like a 4th for DVD but thats hardly used now.

Anyone know how good the 3 to 1 HDMI connectors are ? and are they auto switching or manual?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Techole-Ca...t=&hvlocphy=1007144&hvtargid=pla-853048803279

Any experts?

And now currys website has crashed!!!!!!

This may be of no consequence to you, but Samsung TVs can have the BT Sport App whereas LG can’t. I get BT Sport free with my business broadband and there are plenty of ways to watch it but having the built in app on the TV is ace.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Thanks for your link chap - I just bought that too, picking it up tomorrow. I've been in the market for a while, and have been hovering over a Sony Bravia 65" for £729. But that seemed a mite excessive sizewise for my living room. The spec on that LG is very close, and the 60" screen will fit better. £450, happy days.

Only thing is, going from HD to 4k I guess I'll have to upgrade to Sky Q, which is an extra £7 a month. But it will deliver Multiroom into the deal, which will make my son and the doris happy.

The 4K TV will upscale HD quite nicely

bhanutz

Aug 23, 2005
This may be of no consequence to you, but Samsung TVs can have the BT Sport App whereas LG can’t. I get BT Sport free with my business broadband and there are plenty of ways to watch it but having the built in app on the TV is ace.

you can get the BTsports app on the firestick

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The thread has inspired me to buy one of these I will report my findings Tuesday

HDMI Switch, GANA Gold Plated 3-Port HDMI Switcher | HDMI Splitter | Supports Full HD1080p/3D with High Speed Cable https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B075R2DFJ1/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_fabt1_dlC_apvWFbJNNDB5D

Having received the relatively cheap product today from Amazon I can confirm it has dealt very efficiently with the lack of a 3rd HDMI port on my TV.

Yes I still need to go behind the set and select which of the ports I want blu ray/dvd or now tv stick but I no longer have the fiddly job of unplugging 1 and switching with the other.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
No problem. It's a cracking TV.

Indeed it is. Since the weekend, via your link, its gone up a hundred quid back to £550. Happy to get this beast at £450, for a TV that size with that spec. Bargain !

I bought a new TV cabinet to go with it, and put it together today no probs. Nice black glass doors etc, all the wires nicely hidden away. But f-me, the TRAUMA of delving behind my TV (after several years) to disconnect and reconnect all the wires back there. I took a photo of it all before I embarked, but it was still a cuffing ORDEAL. There's the TV, the PS4, the 5.1 Surround, the Sky Box (which had leads hanging out of it I'd barely seen before - 2 screw-in twist bolt cable connectors ??), the WiFi, the landline phone, Firestick, Alexa...I was drowning in plugs, wires and connections. Who knows where a frigging OPTIMA connection goes, ffs.

By the time I'd got it all built, connected and pushed back into its place, I was a sweating mess. Sky Q coming in a couple of weeks, so it'll have to come back out, but hopefully the engineer will do the heavy lifting on that b*stard.

I love my tech, but jees...today was an utter ballache. Got there in the end though.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
I have a HDMI splitter as one of my TVs is relatively old.

My advice would be to spend a little more and get a remote control driven option, as the manual ones are a pain.

I went manual as cheaper.... [emoji853]

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
Indeed it is. Since the weekend, via your link, its gone up a hundred quid back to £550. Happy to get this beast at £450, for a TV that size with that spec. Bargain !

I bought a new TV cabinet to go with it, and put it together today no probs. Nice black glass doors etc, all the wires nicely hidden away. But f-me, the TRAUMA of delving behind my TV (after several years) to disconnect and reconnect all the wires back there. I took a photo of it all before I embarked, but it was still a cuffing ORDEAL. There's the TV, the PS4, the 5.1 Surround, the Sky Box (which had leads hanging out of it I'd barely seen before - 2 screw-in twist bolt cable connectors ??), the WiFi, the landline phone, Firestick, Alexa...I was drowning in plugs, wires and connections. Who knows where a frigging OPTIMA connection goes, ffs.

By the time I'd got it all built, connected and pushed back into its place, I was a sweating mess. Sky Q coming in a couple of weeks, so it'll have to come back out, but hopefully the engineer will do the heavy lifting on that b*stard.

I love my tech, but jees...today was an utter ballache. Got there in the end though.

I recently had to do the same. Redecorating the entire flat so a new TV was needed (well, wanted, but you know what I mean.) The TV is inch perfect for the unit. But the cables are a real pain, I've got loads of clips for the back of the unit so I can attempt to hide them all but it's a pretty open unit so I have no idea where to start. I have TV, WiFi, amplifier, PS5, external HDD, plus all the speaker cables, charging station for PS5 and aerial booster to deal with. So annoying to actually need all these things with cables.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
And? not all games are on SKY/BT

I wasn't being arsey, you've given a lot of NSCers some good advice about how set up fire sticks / IPTV. :thumbsup: Given you're now handing over £240 per year for SKY/BT, wondered if the IPTV service wasn't what it was? Kind of the way Kodi went for me, and I got bored with updating it in the end.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I wasn't being arsey, you've given a lot of NSCers some good advice about how set up fire sticks / IPTV. :thumbsup: Given you're now handing over £240 per year for SKY/BT, wondered if the IPTV service wasn't what it was? Kind of the way Kodi went for me, and I got bored with updating it in the end.

£240 a year for Sky/BT Sports?

BTW those Kodi days have well passed

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
£240 a year for Sky/BT Sports?

BTW those Kodi days have well passed

I was just going off the deal Swindon said he had at £20pcm for both. It's only because I've been tentatively looking at other options myself.

Rugrat

Mar 13, 2011
Seaford
I was just going off the deal Swindon said he had at £20pcm for both. It's only because I've been tentatively looking at other options myself.

Ah OK ... missed that (£240) somewhere.

But Kodi is history ... happy to help if you want to PM

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila

IPTV is not Kodi.....it works of a normal EPG click and watch.

I think you will find Sky/BT is a lot more than £240 per year.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Free IPTV - Kodi, Hesgoal, etc. - is generally rubbish and unreliable. This includes 'free' Firestick stuff.

Paid-for IPTV is a much better proposition.

stewardxxx

Oct 7, 2008
Brighton
Free IPTV - Kodi, Hesgoal, etc. - is generally rubbish and unreliable. This includes 'free' Firestick stuff.

Paid-for IPTV is a much better proposition.

is the correct answer. I pay 70 quid a year and have no subscription with Virgin or Sky - solid as a rock 99.95% of the time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here