Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Calling NSC masterchefs

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Recently bought a new house and have just finished doing the kitchen out. It happens to be quite a bit bigger than our old kitchen, and now the lady wife has decided that she wants to fill it with brand new kitchenware; all your pots and pans, knives, and so on and so forth.

She's also decided that she doesn't want any old guff, but going down the 'branded' route seems to get very expensive, very quickly. And I don't much fancy shelling out £300 for a set of pots and pans when the fanciest thing I'm likely to be cooking up is some beans on toast with a little bit of cheddar cheese sprinkled in.

Where would one find good quality kitchenware at a reasonable price?

Your thoughts appreciated as always...

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Simple set of good, heavy stainless steel saucepans should set you back £40-£70 (depending on number 3-5, make etc). Had mine for over 30 years and still in excellent condition.

Other stuff (frying pans, knives, roasting trays, bowls etc) gets a little more complicated and I'll leave to others, having had loads before settling on particular ones I liked, and they came from all over the place.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
IKEA

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Hindsight suggests burying Mrs Poojah under the old kitchen should have been your first move.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
Simple set of good, heavy stainless steel saucepans should set you back £40-£70 (depending on number 3-5, make etc). Had mine for over 30 years and still in excellent condition.

An image I can't get rid of now.

head.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
You can't beat Le Creuset, it will last your lifetime and possibly your kids' too ... but it's not cheap.

There are some alternatives Von Shef have some (I've got some Von S stuff and it's decent) and there's a German brand called Berndes which is meant to be good value (not used this)

I'm still really fond of my Le Creuset stuff that I bought when I was flush but there are some cheaper items out there

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Interesting thread. I’ll be in the market for a kitchen equipment upgrade if my apartment ever gets built.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Recently bought a new house and have just finished doing the kitchen out. It happens to be quite a bit bigger than our old kitchen, and now the lady wife has decided that she wants to fill it with brand new kitchenware; all your pots and pans, knives, and so on and so forth.

She's also decided that she doesn't want any old guff, but going down the 'branded' route seems to get very expensive, very quickly. And I don't much fancy shelling out £300 for a set of pots and pans when the fanciest thing I'm likely to be cooking up is some beans on toast with a little bit of cheddar cheese sprinkled in.

Surprised she's allowed you to post on NSC to be honest. Make sure you keep the receipts for when she decides to do her next upgrade :moo:

Pevenseagull

Anti-greed coalition
Jul 20, 2003

what type of hob have you got?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Le Crueset caserole sized pot/lid

don't waste top money on anything non stick

as has been said good Stainless pots/pans for basics, and a steamer.

a cast iron skillet and fry pan is good if you can be bothered to look after them and keep them seasoned

a whizzer and a blender. are useful, but not decor

a kitchen aid mixer is a good investment if you're into cakes.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You can't beat Le Creuset, it will last your lifetime and possibly your kids' too ... but it's not cheap.

There are some alternatives Von Shef have some (I've got some Von S stuff and it's decent) and there's a German brand called Berndes which is meant to be good value (not used this)

I'm still really fond of my Le Creuset stuff that I bought when I was flush but there are some cheaper items out there

Got three 30 plus years old Le Creuset frying pans which have acquired, I think the antiques world say a 'patina'. None the worse for it.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

This, I have a large fry pan my mum gave me when I left home, had a few handles, but is 45 years old and in perfect nick. We have a large set we bought 2nd hand 17 years ago thats still spot on. the only thing that goes is the odd lid or handle and theyre cheap to replace.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here