Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Christmas COVID rules fresh from the horses' mouths

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
The four UK governments have put out a joint statement about the decision to relax restrictions for Christmas. Here is the full text (from the Welsh government’s press release.)

As 2020 draws to a close, we recognise it has been an incredibly difficult year for us all. We have all had to make significant sacrifices in our everyday lives, and many religious and community groups have already had to change or forgo their customary celebrations to slow the spread of coronavirus and save lives.

This cannot be a ‘normal’ Christmas. But as we approach the festive period, we have been working closely together to find a way for family and friends to see each other, even if it is for a short time, and recognising that it must be both limited and cautious.

Even where it is within the rules, meeting with friends and family over Christmas will be a personal judgement for individuals to take, mindful of the risks to themselves and others, particularly those who are vulnerable. We need everyone to think carefully about what they do during this period, balancing some increased social contact with the need to keep the risk of increased transmission of the virus as low as possible. This is particularly important when considering those who are vulnerable, and before deciding to come together over the festive period we urge the consideration of alternative approaches such as the use of technology or meeting outside.

In this context, the four administrations have reached agreement on a single set of UK-wide measures to help people come together with their loved ones in a way that is as safe as possible.

Today we have agreed that:

-Travel restrictions across the four administrations and between tiers will be lifted to provide a window for households to come together between the 23rd and 27th of December.

-Up to three households can form an exclusive ‘bubble’ to meet at home during this period. When a bubble is formed it is fixed, and must not be changed or extended further at any point.

-Each Christmas bubble can meet at home, at a place of worship or an outdoor public place, but existing, more restrictive rules on hospitality and meeting in other venues will be maintained throughout this period.

It is important that everyone respects and abides by the rules of each nation wherever they choose to spend the festive period. Where there are any variations in our approach, these will be communicated by each administration accordingly. Further guidance will be provided in due course.

The winter holiday period is a time often spent with family and friends, with schools and offices closing and people travelling over the bank holidays. Many have already begun making their plans, and we are today providing clarity to help people make the right choices for them, and enjoy time with those closest to them while staying within the rules to protect us all.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
It "ends" on Sunday the 27th, but seeing as the next day is Bank Holiday Monday I expect that quite a few household minglings will continue one more day - I doubt the police will be round early on that Monday morning looking for families who are mixing.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
Just seen some details on the news. Have to say, I am concerned by this, because unless I've misunderstood, we are now discussing how to lift restrictions at the point where the deaths and infections are, at best, levelling out (although I believe the last few days figures always tend to be low, if I have understood correctly) or, at worst, still on an upward curve.

And I believe students are just about to go home over the next couple of weeks.

The Wizard

Jul 2, 2009
People will do what they want regardless of what the government say, it’s as simple as that. The government live in a dream world where they think that this faux ‘rule’ gives them some power but in reality it simply doesn’t. How do they police it exactly? So I’ve been to 3 family members houses to deliver presents today, how would they know that unless they have 24hr surveillance?

By the way I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s utterly delusional of them to think this rule makes any difference, is anyone honestly going to tell me this rule would change their plans one way or another?

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
People will do what they want regardless of what the government say, it’s as simple as that. The government live in a dream world where they think that this faux ‘rule’ gives them some power but in reality it simply doesn’t. How do they police it exactly? So I’ve been to 3 family members houses to deliver presents today, how would they know that unless they have 24hr surveillance?

By the way I’m not saying it’s right or wrong, but it’s utterly delusional of them to think this rule makes any difference, is anyone honestly going to tell me this rule would change their plans one way or another?

Yes, we will follow the rules just like we observe the unenforceable (in the countryside) drink drive laws. We have a COVID case in our extended family. You may have as well without realizing.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
The four UK governments have put out a joint statement about the decision to relax restrictions for Christmas. Here is the full text (from the Welsh government’s press release.)

Thanks for this. It saves me looking at the TV. Having to watch the oleaginous Michael Gove and other members of his desperate little bunch of squirts always gives me a blinding headache and a persistent dry cough.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
It "ends" on Sunday the 27th, but seeing as the next day is Bank Holiday Monday I expect that quite a few household minglings will continue one more day - I doubt the police will be round early on that Monday morning looking for families who are mixing.

Which completely misses the whole point of the exercise. :facepalm:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Strange announcement considering todays' reported death toll is at 608.........the highest since May 12th ?

Utter lunacy. I’m intrigued to know the science behind this decision. I dread to think what the death toll just after Xmas will be.

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
Which completely misses the whole point of the exercise. :facepalm:
If you're with a group of people for three or four days I doubt that the disease will suddenly enter the house on the Monday morning after not being present the other days.

Either it will be spread within a day of the mingling beginning or it won't be present at all.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If you're with a group of people for three or four days I doubt that the disease will suddenly enter the house on the Monday morning after not being present the other days.

Either it will be spread within a day of the mingling beginning or it won't be present at all.

On the other hand, if one of the group has it and it is picked up by the others, and they go off after the break back to their other bubbles, or continue to be non compliant, then that’s how it spreads, and spreads.
Ah well, perhaps it’s another example of how different people interpret the rules.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Many read far too much into the specifics of the rules IMO.

All about the spirit of the law, not the letter of it. Again, IMO.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
It's either a serious virus or it isn't? ****ing Christmas shouldn't matter, I truly believe people are so stupid nowadays that they'd rather have a 15 + party for xmas and any members that die after are just cannon fodder

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

blue-shifted

Banned
Feb 20, 2004
a galaxy far far away
It's either a serious virus or it isn't? ****ing Christmas shouldn't matter, I truly believe people are so stupid nowadays that they'd rather have a 15 + party for xmas and any members that die after are just cannon fodder

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Well, it's that some still haven't (incredibly) grasped the seriousness of the situation or think that they and family are immune from the risks and will make up a story which they tell themselves and other people as to why it is safe and sensible to do so

southstandandy

WEST STAND ANDY
Jul 9, 2003
None of our family are getting together this Christmas even though the rules say we can do. Better to be safe than sorry and it's only 1 year that we'll miss out.

Actually I'm quite looking forward to a quiet few days just with Mrs B. We'll still have a lovely day with plenty of beer, and the other half is a great cook. We'll zoom the kids after the Queens speech!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here