Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
As a sportsman , yes because he is a great achiever. However as he lives in Monoco to get out of paying tax in the UK , then he should not be knighted because it sends the wrong signal .

Not just Hamilton but anyone who lives in a tax free zone like Monoco should not expect to be knighted . MBE or OBE for achievement fine .

even when they pay tax on UK income, just not on their worldwide income? there isnt even a real ethical argument, its just envy.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Knighthoods for sportsmen - no problem with that, but shouldn't be awarded until after they've retired.The point that has been made about non-taxpaying expats (if that is what he is) is a valid point too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
He is one of the top 5000 tax payers in the country and he does not earn all his money out of England. But let’s beat him with that stick, probably pays more in a year than most people earn in their lifetime.

Never heard a word said about Jenson Button or David Coulthard living in Monaco, funny that. So many Brits absolutely detest winners, not a nice trait.

I don’t like to suggest racism but....

As a sportsman , yes because he is a great achiever. However as he lives in Monoco to get out of paying tax in the UK , then he should not be knighted because it sends the wrong signal .

Not just Hamilton but anyone who lives in a tax free zone like Monoco should not expect to be knighted . MBE or OBE for achievement fine .

Which one is true? Either he is a top tax payer or doesn’t pay tax at all?

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
For me F1 is not a real sport, it's more about the car than the driver

He acheived what he did because he had the best car

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

He was winning races with McClaren before he moved to Mercedes. Bottas also drives a Mercedes but doesn’t win every race.

whosthedaddy

striker256
Apr 20, 2007
Hove
I find this thread troubling.

If we were having a discussion about Nigel Mansell, Jenson Button or Damon Hill winning world titles on an almost yearly basis, and breaking record after record, they would have been Knighted well before SEVEN World Championship titles were in the bag.

So basically if Hamilton was in their shoes he would have been Knighted well before 2020

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I pay no attention to this sport - but I know he's won a lot of things. If he would accept a knighthood it seems reasonable. Though I do prefer the idea of knighting people after their career has more or less finished, not during it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

He got one of the best cars, because he is the greatest driver. Seeing off great driver/car combinations from Ferrari (same spend as Mercedes) and Red Bull in many of his winning seasons.

A rarity in F1, he didn’t have a rich Dad.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Thats cobblers. He's contributed towards it being the best car - its a TEAM effort. Hamilton's technical input into that team is vital to getting the best car on the track - he doesn't just rock up on race weekend, do 80 laps, and then cop off for a couple of weeks. His team mate is in exactly the same car, and can't get near him. And thats been the case for years. So what does that tell you ?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
The answer of course is yes, the next question is will he accept this symbol of Empires past and colonial rule?

I Voted Yes even although I don't Agree with the Knighthood System.

So my belief is YES under current System but not 100% personally Convinced that the System has any Merit

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
The answer of course is yes, the next question is will he accept this symbol of Empires past and colonial rule?

Not sure it has anything to do with colonial rule. It dates back to the Middle Ages and even further to Greek and Roman times.It would be a bit odd if he was troubled by such distant history and I don’t imagine he would be. I haven’t voted because knighthoods these days are just part of celebrity culture and I don’t feel qualified to judge on such criteria.

Last edited:

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Thats cobblers. He's contributed towards it being the best car - its a TEAM effort. Hamilton's technical input into that team is vital to getting the best car on the track - he doesn't just rock up on race weekend, do 80 laps, and then cop off for a couple of weeks. His team mate is in exactly the same car, and can't get near him. And thats been the case for years. So what does that tell you ?
Bit selfish..

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Poor kid from Stevenage, parents worked their arses off to help him help him race in a money sport, he was so fast McLaren put him on their young drivers programme at 13. Kicks butt of pretty well everyone he races against and ultimately get the best ride. First black man in F1 in a non diverse environment. The most decorated driver. Ever. Should he be recognised alongside the best in the UK....yep

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Putting aside my personal thoughts on the whole honours system, if it is consistent with what has gone before then - yes - Lewis should get the knighthood.

At a time when it is embarrassing to be British he is still there, doing his thing and reinforcing the idea that we can still produce excellence.

And resides in a tax haven to ensure he pays very little tax from his vast earnings in this country.

I think he’s an amazing F1 driver, and probably should be close to being universally regarded as the best ever, but as a role model to Britain, nah, not all the while he turns his back on this country.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
He races cars. NO

If in say 5-10 years tie he's done something for the better of man kind, then yes.

He's a squillionaire tax exile that drives round in circles very quickly, as impressive as that may be its not noteworthy in the grand scheme of things.

Having said that, neither is the royal family.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Poor kid from Stevenage, parents worked their arses off to help him help him race in a money sport, he was so fast McLaren put him on their young drivers programme at 13. Kicks butt of pretty well everyone he races against and ultimately get the best ride. First black man in F1 in a non diverse environment. The most decorated driver. Ever. Should he be recognised alongside the best in the UK....yep

I agree, and yes he is recognised, how you define the best in the uk by looking at the honours list I don't know.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here