Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

Should Lewis Hamilton be knighted?

• Total voters

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Absolute no brainer, of course he should :thumbsup:

Why do I feel many of you will say no? He has achieved much more than so many sportsmen who have already been knighted. How many of them can even be considered the best the world has ever seen?

Would a mod be kind enough to change Knoghted to knighted on the poll question, please

Last edited:

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton

Why do I feel many of you will say no? He has achieved much more than so many sportsmen who have already been knighted.

Would a mod be kind enough to change Knoghted to knighted on the poll question, please

The answer of course is yes, the next question is will he accept this symbol of Empires past and colonial rule?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
yes and will probably happen if not immediately.

For his sporting achievements, yes of course. But he's quite the knob, so no. No wins.

dont believe thats considered an impediment.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
The answer of is yes, the next question is will he accept this symbol of Empires past and colonial rule?

Care to show me a link where he has supported tearing down statues and the like? He may have done but I certainly haven’t seen it.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
yes and will probably happen if not immediately.

dont believe thats considered an impediment.

Now then, now then, now then!

d4215aa66a7ef7396ec0c1959976e3db.jpg

The Tories will knight anyone!

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patron
Aug 7, 2003
I remember that years ago there used to be a TV programme where various sportsmen would compete against each other by undertaking certain sporting activities. It seemed that Formula One drivers seemed to have the greatest overall levels of fitness. I always wondered why this was. In answer to the OP’s question, I’d say no. Think of poor old Becks.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Putting aside my personal thoughts on the whole honours system, if it is consistent with what has gone before then - yes - Lewis should get the knighthood.

At a time when it is embarrassing to be British he is still there, doing his thing and reinforcing the idea that we can still produce excellence.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I actually did a little whoop of delight when R5 mentioned that he's been nominated.

I expect the haters will get their 'no' vote in early and the yesses will win in the end. :shrug:

BluesRockDJ

Jan 24, 2020

Why do I feel many of you will say no? He has achieved much more than so many sportsmen who have already been knighted. How many of them can even be considered the best the world has ever seen?

He can drive a car faster than any of his competitors and goes of to his tax haven home in Monaco ? Knighthoods are given away in present times, so a "NO" from me !!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
No, until he starts paying tax

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Bearing in mind where the likes of Geoff Boycott and Jimmy Saville set the bar....

I don't seem to recall comments like that when the old fellah got knighted for walking up and down his garden for the NHS.

Would similar derision have been on the menu had James Hunt survived long enough for a gong?

What about Sir Henry Cooper?

Or Sir Sterling Moss?

A whiff of racism at work here I suspect. Who would ever have guessed?

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
He is one of the top 5000 tax payers in the country and he does not earn all his money out of England. But let’s beat him with that stick, probably pays more in a year than most people earn in their lifetime.

Never heard a word said about Jenson Button or David Coulthard living in Monaco, funny that. So many Brits absolutely detest winners, not a nice trait.

I don’t like to suggest racism but....

macbeth

Dismembered
Jan 3, 2018
six feet beneath the moon...
I don't seem to recall comments like that when the old fellah got knighted for walking up and down his garden for the NHS.

Would similar derision have been on the menu had James Hunt survived long enough for a gong?

What about Sir Henry Cooper?

Or Sir Sterling Moss?

A whiff of racism at work here I suspect. Who would ever have guessed?

Always amazes me how many people on twitter etc. don't like him, but when pressed for a reason just say "there's something about him" or something "they can't quite put their finger on"

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here