Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Terror threat raised

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
THE UK's terror threat level has been raised from 'substantial' to 'severe' - Home Secretary Priti Patel has confirmed.

The move follows an attack in Vienna on Monday, November 2, that left at least three dead.

What does the change in terror threat level mean for the UK?

The change means that an attack on UK soil is now deemed “highly likely”.

It comes after gunmen – believed by Austrian police to have an Islamist motive – killed three and left several wounded on Monday night as they went on a shooting spree armed with an assault rifle, carrying other handguns, and wearing a fake explosive belt.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This was announced hours ago. Interesting it took so long for a thread to appear. I think we are all bored by it now. The occasional nutter goes berserk and kills a few people? Far too expensive to round up all the spotty virgins feverishly pounding away at their keyboards, downloading videos of beheadings, walking around in silly clothes and being otherwise ludicrous. HMG have done a risk assessment and have decided the best way to spend our tax pound is to **** about with Covid and **** about with Brexit. The shitshower.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Totally indifferent to these events now. It’s not terror anymore. And arguably never was. We’re not quaking in our boots, we don’t change our plans. It’s just modern life. Terror is the IRA. The Blitz. A pie at Port Vale. Not some lonely bedroom jihadist who gets taken down with a Narwhal tusk. Pathetic. 1/10 for terror. 10/10 for being a **** though.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I think you may find that the Terror Threat level allows the Police certain powers and with the feared "social unrest" due to lockdown, which coincidently comes into force on the 5th of November, in parts of central London (Parliament Sq), may see demonstrations and this may help them quell any unrest easier and quicker?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
People died in France and Austria within a very short period.

I don't think friends and relatives will be so offhand.

We wonder why the UK is in such a state.

Not for the first time you completely fail to understand a post :shrug:

maffew

Dec 10, 2003
Worcester England
Totally indifferent to these events now. It’s not terror anymore. And arguably never was. We’re not quaking in our boots, we don’t change our plans. It’s just modern life. Terror is the IRA. The Blitz. A pie at Port Vale. Not some lonely bedroom jihadist who gets taken down with a Narwhal tusk. Pathetic. 1/10 for terror. 10/10 for being a **** though.

Wow, Manchester Arena, 7/7. 1/10 for terror? How can you say arguably ever was. God know how many real terror attacks have been thwarted, its very real, but yes doesnt change much of what most of us do daily

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Just by having the alert level raised is a victory to IS in their warped world due to the uncertainty it has now caused

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
As long as it's not happening to them, people dont care. Selfish

Sent from my SM-A600FN using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Maybe you were trying to be too clever?

Watford GAP got it though.

<sigh>

I wasn't trying to be clever. I'm bloody angry. This will go on and on because we have done a risk assessment and decided that our deradicalisation programme is adequate, and once someone has passed the test they can go about their business. And anyway we don't have the money to do a better job. Britain all over. And I suspect similar carelessness is to the fore elsewhere in Europe. Still, as the colonel said, 'what's a few men' (women and children)?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think you may find that the Terror Threat level allows the Police certain powers and with the feared "social unrest" due to lockdown, which coincidently comes into force on the 5th of November, in parts of central London (Parliament Sq), may see demonstrations and this may help them quell any unrest easier and quicker?

Could you detail these "certain powers"? I'm intrigued.

The police already have more than adequate powers to quell unrest quickly and easily.

Anyway, what civil unrest? There'll be a few demonstrators that will get dispersed employing the powers the police have possessed for over 50 years. Plus the new Covid regs give them more than enough cause to break up groups. No extra "certain powers" are required. There may a few pissed off wally's who think they should be treated differently, if Christmas if badly affected. It'll be the usual fat baldies shouting outside a pub.

More likely it'll be the Right Honourable Rotters Club heading to their third homes for a three bird roast and a spot of peasant lamping.

Typical CT; cites a vague threat of civil unrest to fuel the fear and then imply the police are somehow being given vague, unspecified powers against citizens. Classic tin foil hattery.

The only significance of the date being the 5th November is to stop large gatherings over the bonfire weekend. FFS.

Any extra powers the police are granted will be in response to the recent terror attacks and not because of covid unrest.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA

The police already have more than adequate powers to quell unrest quickly and easily.

Anyway, what civil unrest? There'll be a few demonstrators that will get dispersed employing the powers the police have possessed for over 50 years. Plus the new Covid regs give them more than enough cause to break up groups. No extra "certain powers" are required. There may a few pissed off wally's who think they should be treated differently, if Christmas if badly affected. It'll be the usual fat baldies shouting outside a pub.

More likely it'll be the Right Honourable Rotters Club heading to their third homes for a three bird roast and a spot of peasant lamping.

Typical CT; cites a vague threat of civil unrest to fuel the fear and then imply the police are somehow being given vague, unspecified powers against citizens. Classic tin foil hattery.
The only significance of the date being the 5th November is to stop large gatherings over the bonfire weekend. FFS.

Any extra powers the police are granted will be in response to the recent terror attacks and not because of covid.

Hope that helps.

Hey leave AmexRuislip out of it :whistle:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
This was announced hours ago. Interesting it took so long for a thread to appear. I think we are all bored by it now. The occasional nutter goes berserk and kills a few people? Far too expensive to round up all the spotty virgins feverishly pounding away at their keyboards, downloading videos of beheadings, walking around in silly clothes and being otherwise ludicrous. HMG have done a risk assessment and have decided the best way to spend our tax pound is to **** about with Covid and **** about with Brexit. The shitshower.

You couldn't imagine what further damage the IRA would've caused, if they had access to social media way back then.
Now it's 'lone wolfs' acting alone, with ideals beyond the ridiculous to cause as much damage as possible.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Any extra powers the police are granted will be in response to the recent terror attacks and not because of covid unrest.

Hope that helps.

Wow .... and there was I just surmising why the threat level was increased.

I have no idea what a CT is?

All I will say is I fully support the Police and the rule of law and I'm not sure what rattled your cage, but it, or rather I, clearly did.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Wow .... and there was I just surmising why the threat level was increased.

I have no idea what a CT is?

All I will say is I fully support the Police and the rule of law and I'm not sure what rattled your cage, but it, or rather I, clearly did.

You were talking bollocks straight from the Conspiracy Theorists book of rhetoric.
It’s obvious why the threat level has been raised. Do you not watch the news? It’s because there have been several terrorist attacks in short space of time. Not so the police can have extra powers.

Stop spouting fear mongering bollocks. It’s the last thing we need.

May 5, 2020
Sussex
I think the raising of the threat level is the right thing to do based on current events in the news and I'm sure intelligence services will have other data to equally justify it .what this means from the publics perspective is its just to warn us to be vigilant whilst we are out and about and report anything suspicious immediately and have a plan before you go somewhere to escape or stay safe if it kicks off.
Good luck everyone and be vigilant and stay safe.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
THE UK's terror threat level has been raised from 'substantial' to 'severe' - Home Secretary Priti Patel has confirmed.

The move follows an attack in Vienna on Monday, November 2, that left at least three dead.

What does the change in terror threat level mean for the UK?

The change means that an attack on UK soil is now deemed “highly likely”.

It comes after gunmen – believed by Austrian police to have an Islamist motive – killed three and left several wounded on Monday night as they went on a shooting spree armed with an assault rifle, carrying other handguns, and wearing a fake explosive belt.

Interestingly (for me anyway!) The real Jessie James would probably be classed as a terrorist in this day and age. Rampaging around Missouri, robbing and attacking Union interests with his merry band of confederates. Pretty brutal to boot by all accounts.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You couldn't imagine what further damage the IRA would've caused, if they had access to social media way back then.
Now it's 'lone wolfs' acting alone, with ideals beyond the ridiculous to cause as much damage as possible.

Not so sure it is a lack of social media that saved us, unless Facebook would have had the power to turn spotty English boys of Irish Catholic extraction to turn to suicide bombing. I just can't see that myself, but there again I can't see Alf Ramsey's 66 WC winners beating any modern side.

Perhaps we (and I include myself in his) should have a little more faith in the secret service and government on this. I have become increasingly angry each time I hear about these outrages, no matter how infrequent, especially when I read that the murderer was a person 'of interest', because this suggests the murders were preventable (with more money and a different approach). None of us get to hear about the plots that are nipped in the bud. I perhaps need to give my perspective a wobble.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Not so sure it is a lack of social media that saved us, unless Facebook would have had the power to turn spotty English boys of Irish Catholic extraction to turn to suicide bombing. I just can't see that myself, but there again I can't see Alf Ramsey's 66 WC winners beating any modern side.

Perhaps we (and I include myself in his) should have a little more faith in the secret service and government on this. I have become increasingly angry each time I hear about these outrages, no matter how infrequent, especially when I read that the murderer was a person 'of interest', because this suggests the murders were preventable (with more money and a different approach). None of us get to hear about the plots that are nipped in the bud. I perhaps need to give my perspective a wobble.

I sometimes think that being ex HM Forces, as well as others on here might think, will have a different perspective on the subject.
Throughout ones service, you're always instructed on who the enemy might be (depending time of service).
For me it was the IRA and the Cold War enemies.
When you see in the news, as you've said, 'a person of interest', it can incite a defensive mechanism within, of anger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here