Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
I dont think any sane manager in the world would give revealing answers to those questions.

The "how do you feel about Davy Pröpper? Good enough?" and "how does Davy Pröpper feel about you? Good enough?" type of questions are never getting answered which is 100% logical. Imagine yourself being interviewed in front of a bunch of cameras and tabloid journalists, asking you "what is your opinion on co-worker X?". 99% of the people in the world wouldnt give honest answers. The remaining 1% are Dutch or disturbed somehow.

If the journallists wanted any interesting information from press conferences, they could ask in-depth questions about tactics or training. But they dont want information, they want headlines.

Perfect environment for narcissists like Jose Mourinho or Louis van Gaal but the whole media circus shit is probably the worst part of the job for the majority of coaches. Ask the teachers of your kids or whatever if they would want to hold nationally televised press conferences, in front of blood thirsty tabloid writers, twice a week regarding the performances of their students and their school and I think you'd find that most wouldnt find it very tempting.

It is part of his job. He is not doing this part at all well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
It is part of his job. He is not doing this part at all well.

He generally does this part of his job in a very collected fashion, this was a one off that I've only seen him do a couple of times. Having a bad day at the job doesnt mean that you are generally doing a bad job.

Its also one of the least important parts of his job, with quite some margin.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I would hazard a guess that in the many years I have watched us, we have lost far more than we have won.

“....You have reached the albion line on 8049.....and it’s bad news for the albion”

That was basically my late teens anthem

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He generally does this part of his job in a very collected fashion, this was a one off that I've only seen him do a couple of times. Having a bad day at the job doesnt mean that you are generally doing a bad job.

This.....so he’s been a bit snippy answering a few crap questions from people not even interested in his answers. I couldn’t care less.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I think it is actually worse without fans in the stadium. Most fans are actually supportive when they are watching games. Generally the moaners get drowned out by the supportive fans (not always).
Think this is especially true away - Solly makes a mistake, for example, and we chant his name.

I’ve always said the same. When Muzza, March or Stephens (for example) warmed up pre match or run down the line as a sub, they receive huge support and warmth from all generations of Albion supporters in the stands.

But then looking online, not insignificant numbers of fans want them out of “their club” because they’re apparently lower league standard, with bitchy comments aplenty. Completely unrepresentative.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Good question - I really don't know, because anything we'd really want to know wouldn't be answered - so the PC's are always going to be a bland, virtually pointless update on injuries, platitudes about upcoming opponents ('these are a good team' etc) and the manager being asked for a soundbite on whatever else is going on (fans in grounds, PPV etc) where he's unlikely to say anything too controversial. The second it strays into anything slightly controversial there is either no answer, or comments seem to offend a % of the fanbase - the only result of what has happened here and the reaction is that Potter will be even less forthcoming :shrug: He'll possibly have an email from Barber already saying 'don't mention the fans next time Graham, there are quite a few snowflakes among them who will react badly to anything negative you say'.

Don't forget that the press conference videos that go up on the club website are only part of the story. What you see is the first part of the press conference, the section for the broadcast media. The written press then get a separate section, with Potter's quotes embargoed until (usually) 10.30 on Friday evening for Saturday papers and 22.30 on Saturday for the Sundays.

The written press are usually (but not always) better prepared and able to ask questions with the benefit of having heard the answers to the broadcasters' questions. They may ask a manager to develop a point made to the broadcasters. There may indeed be questions about the usage of a particular player.

For a game on Sunday, anything that appears online or in Friday papers will be from that initial broadcast section as the writers with column inches to fill on Saturday keep their embargoed quotes back. So I'd expect Brian Owen's Argus back page tomorrow to carry the issues from today's stories forward and maybe feature more nuanced reactions from Potter..

As for questions about a particular player's role, prospects or confidence levels, I've heard them asked. Perhaps more diplomatically put, or certainly more open-ended, than has been suggested here. But he has discussed Ali J, Ally Mac and Jose Izquierdo in some detail recently. These, though, are usually only matters of interest to local papers.

Last edited:

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
I think it is actually worse without fans in the stadium. Most fans are actually supportive when they are watching games. Generally the moaners get drowned out by the supportive fans (not always).
Think this is especially true away - Solly makes a mistake, for example, and we chant his name.
The feedback the players get now, after a performance like WBA is mainly negative. Just get the knobs having a go on social media.

Good point, to be fair I hadn't thought of it that way round -you might be right in that respect, especially away from home

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Don't forget that the press conference videos that go up on the club website are only part of the story. What you see is the first part of the press conference, the section for the broadcast media. The written press then get a separate section, with Potter's quotes embargoed until (usually) 10.30 on Friday evening for Saturday papers and 22.30 on Saturday for the Sundays.

The written press are usually (but not always) better prepared and able to ask questions with the benefit of having heard the answers to the broadcasters' questions. They may ask a manager to develop a point made to the broadcasters. There may indeed be questions about the usage of a particular player.

For a game on Sunday, anything that appears online or in Friday papers will be from that initial broadcast section as the writers with column inches to fill on Saturday keep their embargoed quotes back. So I'd expect Brian Owen's Argus back page tomorrow to carry the issues from today's stories forward and maybe feature more nuanced reactions from Potter..

As for questions about a particular player's role, prospects or confidence levels, I've heard them asked. Perhaps more diplomatically put, or certainly more open-ended, than has been suggested here. But he has discussed Ali J, Ally Mac and Jose Izquierdo in some detail recently. These, though, are usually only matters of interest to local papers.

I know, but that’s all too late for the social media wailers who immediately jump on what gets put out by the ‘broadcast media’.....anything coming after that is lost/ignored (ie too late). Just have a look at the various Albion facebook groups for the comments on Potter’s ‘embarrassing’ and ‘shocking’ press conference.......

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I would hazard a guess that in the many years I have watched us, we have lost far more than we have won.

“....You have reached the albion line on 8049.....and it’s bad news for the albion”

That was basically my late teens anthem

My childhood wasn't a wealthy one, we couldn't afford To call Albion line, I can only assume you paid extra to be let down gently :rolleyes:

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Hmmm. He is obviously an intelligent man, but his intelligence is lacking here, in that he shouldn’t let a few dingbats on social media wind him up

More important than you realise; if he loses the fans (he hasn’t yet), then he loses his job.

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
This.....so he’s been a bit snippy answering a few crap questions from people not even interested in his answers. I couldn’t care less.

The fact this thread exists suggest you are underestimating the significance of this...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Not really, no more than someone wailing elsewhere on social media. Only a tiny % of fans are bothered enough to post negativity about it

No really. For example, Gus slowly but surely managed to p1ss off the Brighton fan base... he was initially seen as the new Messiah. Be warned Potter. It is literally never a good idea to slag off any part of your fan base, especially when the real culprits are you and your players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Can I just say that I expect us to win tomorrow? :smile:

Sorry Graham :wink:

twickers

Jul 17, 2003
Can I just say that I expect us to win tomorrow? :smile:

Sorry Graham :wink:

So it was you! You wound Graham up so much with your win expectation that he totally forgot to put his hand up and say "sorry, I messed up with my tactics in the second half against WBA and as ever aporeciate the patience and support I get from the fans". Well I hope you're pleased with yourself :lolol:

albionalex

Feb 26, 2009
Toronto
What is the obsession with taking cross season stats stopping just after the last win to give this 4 from 24. It's a nonsense, especially the context of this year. We finished last season with our highest PL points tally, I don't think we ever dropped into the bottom 5. We're 1 win in 6, with 5 points. That is the only stat that matters THIS season.

Trends are very relevant. If a manager has only won 4 of their last 24 games, why does it mater if it's split across seasons? By your logic, if a striker had scored 10 goals in their last 10 games but split across two seasons, you can't count the ones from the season before.

Mancgull

Nov 28, 2011
Astley, Manchester
I think it’s a bit disingenuous of Potter to have a go at expectations getting too high amongst fans when the club have publicised the longer term aim of the club being top ten, and we have attracted players like Lallana who have said that they don’t expect us to be fighting relegation this season and that he wants to bring a winning mentality. Is it not then a reasonable expectation that fans think we should beat a newly promoted club at home, and a team that has struggled so far.
I accept that he wants to create a positive attitude amongst the players and lower any unnecessary pressure but he has to be careful to get the balance right and a dig at certain fans is poor judgement I think. Not often I think that he hasn’t got it right but I thought this was one of those occasions.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here