Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "There are a few who expect us to win because we are Brighton"

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Looks like the fans are getting to him and probably the team too.
Does anyone think that by giving this pressure it is actually going to improve the team's performance. I don't

There's no-one in the bloody stadium ffs!? If he's seriously reading NSC or Twitter then he really needs to be professional and recognise that, whatever club you manage, you are always going to find the small minority of fans who have nothing positive to say have the loudest voice on social media platforms. No different from politics, those who comment on Argus articles, or anything else in life

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
Probably worth having a watch so you can see it in context and decide for yourself. I think his body language and eye contact seem very defensive. Something has got to him as he mentions reactions three times during the course of the interview. Maybe he should take a break from social media.

7:16

"Yeah, but there's an assumption that every chance you get, you're going to score. And...and that's not football, that's not reality. (Shakes head)

So we can't say ah, we must put our chances...that's...that's... doesn't work like that."

Come on, Graham. :rolleyes: :smile:

Like many, I'm enjoying the style of football that you've brought to the Albion tremendously, but you're projecting ever-so-slightly here.

Albion supporters wanting the side to be more clinical in front of goal doesn't necessarily equate to us expecting a 1:1 chances to goals ratio.

And having seen our finishing in front of goal recently, it's highly unlikely that any Albion supporter currently assumes that we'll score with every chance.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Probably worth having a watch so you can see it in context and decide for yourself. I think his body language and eye contact seem very defensive. Something has got to him as he mentions reactions three times during the course of the interview. Maybe he should take a break from social media.

I've just watched this, I don't think it the fans he's getting at specifically, just the repeated banality of bang average journalists. Something has rattled his cage though . . . .maybe Tony has expressed his displeasure at 2 points dropped . . . .

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
There's no-one in the bloody stadium ffs!? If he's seriously reading NSC or Twitter then he really needs to be professional and recognise that, whatever club you manage, you are always going to find the small minority of fans who have nothing positive to say have the loudest voice on social media platforms. No different from politics, those who comment on Argus articles, or anything else in life

Well hopefully he can ignore the comments from the knobs but it's not going to help. Just concerned that the abuse and comments he and the team are getting do not have a negative impact. Would imagine that, even if you try and ignore it, it could affect you subconsciously.
If you are Trossard or Maupay and 'fans' have been telling you that you can't hit cow's arse with a banjo it's not going to help next time you come to shoot.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
The teeth sucking is a giveaway that he’s not at all comfortable imo. They were pretty wanky questions in fairness

He does that in every single press conference.
The questions are ALWAYS wanky - he wouldn’t answer any non-wanky ones (‘so Graham are you going to be signing a striker next week ?’ ‘Are you going to play 3 at the back v Spurs’ etc)

It’s been obvious in virtually every PC he’s done for us that he’d rather be somewhere else, has little tolerance for daft questions or the bleeding obvious (which covers 99% of anything asked that he’s able to answer)
Look back at some of his others - the thinly-veiled contempt he has for the press at large is pretty obvious - he’s only doing it because he has a contractual obligation.

Can’t believe people are getting themselves in a lather over anything he’s said.

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
What a terrible performance. That's the manager's equivalent of the second half fumble against West Brom. If he wants someone to explain to him why we feel this team should be doing better, I'm happy to volunteer. Maybe the club should arrange a fans forum if he's so annoyed with fan expectation and we can throw a few ideas around. Obviously we're not going to score every chance, we barely score any of them is the problem. And playing every game like we have a three goal lead is what results in not winning very often because it's annual that we achieve that. We punished a dire Watford on the opening day last season and then took advantage of Spurs after a 7-2 mauling in the Champions League and an injury to their goalkeeper. With the greatest respect to Potter, I think he's out of order with his comments in that conference and he needs to have a word with himself about his own performance and "learn those lessons".

I quote your words from another thread 'I didn't bother with the game last night'

You seem to have a lot to say considering you didn't bother watching our last game.
You are just a shi# stirrer and should clear off and support palarse

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Well hopefully he can ignore the comments from the knobs but it's not going to help. Just concerned that the abuse and comments he and the team are getting do not have a negative impact. Would imagine that, even if you try and ignore it, it could affect you subconsciously.
If you are Trossard or Maupay and 'fans' have been telling you that you can't hit cow's arse with a banjo it's not going to help next time you come to shoot.

No, it's not, but unfortunately with social media the way it is now players and managers have to learn to adapt and deal with it. Doesn't make it right, but as I said, it would be the same at any club up and down the country to a greater or lesser extent depending on size of fanbase. If he or players can't handle it even without fans in the stadium then perhaps the pressure of management or playing professional football isn't for them. It's not like he's managing in somewhere like Turkey ffs where fans turn up at the training ground or outside players'/managers' houses to cause trouble or stir shit up when the team or individuals aren't performing

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
After actually watching that it is something and nothing. I get the impression he personally doesn’t like a couple of the people asking the questions. Some of the questions were not far off ‘fans forum’ level in terms irrelevance and trivial stupidity so I’m not sure I blame him for his body language he probably feels most of that conference was a waste of his time.

Exactly how I saw it. He seems very prickly when he's responding to the 2nd guy and to a lesser extent to the 1st bloke. In contrast, he eye contacts Jonny Cantor, uses his name, and seems less agitated. It may be because Jonny's questions are less banal than the other 2, or that he has 'previous' with them.

hampshirebrightonboy

Sep 3, 2011
No, it's not, but unfortunately with social media the way it is now players and managers have to learn to adapt and deal with it. Doesn't make it right, but as I said, it would be the same at any club up and down the country to a greater or lesser extent depending on size of fanbase. If he or players can't handle it even without fans in the stadium then perhaps the pressure of management or playing professional football isn't for them. It's not like he's managing in somewhere like Turkey ffs where fans turn up at the training ground or outside players'/managers' houses to cause trouble or stir shit up when the team or individuals aren't performing

I think it is actually worse without fans in the stadium. Most fans are actually supportive when they are watching games. Generally the moaners get drowned out by the supportive fans (not always).
Think this is especially true away - Solly makes a mistake, for example, and we chant his name.
The feedback the players get now, after a performance like WBA is mainly negative. Just get the knobs having a go on social media.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
He was lucky there was not 30k watching. Although disappointed with display have watched enough games to know it can happen. However what p...... me off, was his indication that we didnt win because WBA played so well in 2nd half. This was not the case we were very poor in every department. passing, first touch, marking, positioning etc.etc.and whilst I dont expect him to criticise individual players why cant he say what we all saw that we as a team were very poor and not acceptable.

Hampster Gull

Dec 22, 2010
Listened to it. Prickly, aloof, defensive and a bit pompous is my reflection. The direct dig at fans is unfortunate and unnecessary. My guess is he doesn’t get why people don’t get it, the way he sees things. A poor interview but far better than the management of the WBA game. Onwards and upwards

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
He does that in every single press conference.
The questions are ALWAYS wanky - he wouldn’t answer any non-wanky ones (‘so Graham are you going to be signing a striker next week ?’ ‘Are you going to play 3 at the back v Spurs’ etc)

It’s been obvious in virtually every PC he’s done for us that he’d rather be somewhere else, has little tolerance for daft questions or the bleeding obvious (which covers 99% of anything asked that he’s able to answer)
Look back at some of his others - the thinly-veiled contempt he has for the press at large is pretty obvious - he’s only doing it because he has a contractual obligation.

Can’t believe people are getting themselves in a lather over anything he’s said.

What questions would you be asking him instead?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
What questions would you be asking him instead?

Good question - I really don't know, because anything we'd really want to know wouldn't be answered - so the PC's are always going to be a bland, virtually pointless update on injuries, platitudes about upcoming opponents ('these are a good team' etc) and the manager being asked for a soundbite on whatever else is going on (fans in grounds, PPV etc) where he's unlikely to say anything too controversial. The second it strays into anything slightly controversial there is either no answer, or comments seem to offend a % of the fanbase - the only result of what has happened here and the reaction is that Potter will be even less forthcoming :shrug: He'll possibly have an email from Barber already saying 'don't mention the fans next time Graham, there are quite a few snowflakes among them who will react badly to anything negative you say'.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

Ok so definitely didnt wake up on the right side. A bit funny to see tbh, probably should have left it to Billy if possible. Oh well, I can relate. I've had some bad days myself were I would have been a bit annoyed and frustrated if someone threw a bag of "why are you so bad" questions at me. From the lack of understanding in here, I suppose its just me & Potter who got days when we arent the best possible human beings, which is of course fantastic - 99% of the population never having a bad day! What a time to be alive.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
Good question - I really don't know, because anything we'd really want to know wouldn't be answered - so the PC's are always going to be a bland, virtually pointless update on injuries, platitudes about upcoming opponents ('these are a good team' etc) and the manager being asked for a soundbite on whatever else is going on (fans in grounds, PPV etc) where he's unlikely to say anything too controversial. The second it strays into anything slightly controversial there is either no answer, or comments seem to offend a % of the fanbase - the only result of what has happened here and the reaction is that Potter will be even less forthcoming :shrug: He'll possibly have an email from Barber already saying 'don't mention the fans next time Graham, there are quite a few snowflakes among them who will react badly to anything negative you say'.

I've been thinking about it as well, and I'm not sure what I would ask. Certainly what I could ask without pissing him off! You couldn't reasonably ask him about how he sees using Davy Propper, how he keeps players like Mac Allister happy when he can't get in the team. Where does Jahanbakhsh fit in, if at all? Does Bernardo have any chance of getting in the team without injuries throughout the defence? Will Walton, Steele and Sanchez all be content with battling it out for 2nd choice and the occasional u23s appearance (although Carl Rushworth seems to be the choice in that team). How does Andi Zeqiri feel about the signing of Danny Welbeck and the impact to his own chances of being in the squad?

I don't really envy Potter's job. If you look at the squad, there is talent throughout but how do you keep everyone happy? Especially when the team isn't winning often, surely there are players behind the scenes who want more game time and are suggesting the performances of the team would justify it. How do the players feel about the system and tactics?

All questions you couldn't reasonably expect him to answer.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
I've been thinking about it as well, and I'm not sure what I would ask. Certainly what I could ask without pissing him off! You couldn't reasonably ask him about how he sees using Davy Propper, how he keeps players like Mac Allister happy when he can't get in the team. Where does Jahanbakhsh fit in, if at all? Does Bernardo have any chance of getting in the team without injuries throughout the defence? Will Walton, Steele and Sanchez all be content with battling it out for 2nd choice and the occasional u23s appearance (although Carl Rushworth seems to be the choice in that team). How does Andi Zeqiri feel about the signing of Danny Welbeck and the impact to his own chances of being in the squad?

I don't really envy Potter's job. If you look at the squad, there is talent throughout but how do you keep everyone happy? Especially when the team isn't winning often, surely there are players behind the scenes who want more game time and are suggesting the performances of the team would justify it. How do the players feel about the system and tactics?

All questions you couldn't reasonably expect him to answer.

I dont think any sane manager in the world would give revealing answers to those questions.

The "how do you feel about Davy Pröpper? Good enough?" and "how does Davy Pröpper feel about you? Good enough?" type of questions are never getting answered which is 100% logical. Imagine yourself being interviewed in front of a bunch of cameras and tabloid journalists, asking you "what is your opinion on co-worker X?". 99% of the people in the world wouldnt give honest answers. The remaining 1% are Dutch or disturbed somehow.

If the journallists wanted any interesting information from press conferences, they could ask in-depth questions about tactics or training. But they dont want information, they want headlines.

Perfect environment for narcissists like Jose Mourinho or Louis van Gaal but the whole media circus shit is probably the worst part of the job for the majority of coaches. Ask the teachers of your kids or whatever if they would want to hold nationally televised press conferences, in front of blood thirsty tabloid writers, twice a week regarding the performances of their students and their school and I think you'd find that most wouldnt find it very tempting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here