Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where it all started going wrong?

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Fear TB is too nice to put Potter under any pressure / sack him.

Potter has transformed the club in terms of its playing style, bringing in younger players and only a few months ago led the club to its highest ever Premier League points total.
This year - we've had 6 games, aren't in the bottom three, have been inconsistent - which is frustrating - but also shown signs of terrific play and our defeats have been by Everton, Chelsea and Man Utd.
He's got a tough job to pick up the pace but its the Premier League - he's certainly capable of doing it and has the squad to do it. TB is not "too nice" to put him under any additional pressure or god forbid sack him - he'd be ridiculous to do so.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
When Shane Duffy went out on Loan.
The team were only 10 mins away from holding out the other night for a 1 - 0 win and people's views would be very different if that had happened.
Previously protecting a lead . Duffy would have come on and shored up the defence and Dunk would havev been alongside him to see the game out.

Hanging onto leads with Duffy to shore things up. Annoyingly that didn't quite happen last season with the big man on the bench or alongside Dunk. So it must be something else.
Aston Villa (A) ? Burnley (H) ? Palace (A) ? Spurs (A)?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Potter has transformed the club in terms of its playing style, bringing in younger players and only a few months ago led the club to its highest ever Premier League points total.
This year - we've had 6 games, aren't in the bottom three, have been inconsistent - which is frustrating - but also shown signs of terrific play and our defeats have been by Everton, Chelsea and Man Utd.
He's got a tough job to pick up the pace but its the Premier League - he's certainly capable of doing it and has the squad to do it. TB is not "too nice" to put him under any additional pressure or god forbid sack him - he'd be ridiculous to do so.

Agreed. Seems like some expect us to come out on top every time we play - for Potter to out-think the oppo manager every game, to show more 'emotion' than the oppo manager, for our players to be better than their opposing counterparts every game, for no-one to ever have a bad game etc etc, and as soon as any do, it's Potter out, March/Webster/Burn et al are shit and so on and so on with ever more hyperbole. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Potter was outwitted by Bilic for 45 mins - it happens (in the same way Bruce was outwitted by Potter for 90 mins, as arguably were Hodgson and Solskjaer).......Lallana was taken off after an hour in what was obviously a pre-planned move - the club have been clear enough about how they are 'managing his workload' - the same people moaning about him being taken off are almost certainly the same one moaning about his injury record :shrug: etc etc

Whilst we're scoring more than we were, main issue for me - evident the last two games anyway - is we're not getting it quite right up front now - WBA getting a goal shouldn't have been an issue as we should have had at least a couple by then, same v Palace. Maupay is often too isolated, and when he does get a chance he isn't taking it. Be interesting to see how having Welbeck changes things.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When Shane Duffy went out on Loan.

The team were only 10 mins away from holding out the other night for a 1 - 0 win and people's views would be very different if that had happened.

Previously protecting a lead . Duffy would have come on and shored up the defence and Dunk would havev been alongside him to see the game out.

Don't get me wrong. I don't see this team as good as many seem to allude to when they play well or win. But neither do I see them as being as bad as some allude to when they lose or play badly.

The loss of Duffy will be more costly to the team than many think this season.

Spot on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Murray 17

Jul 6, 2003
i'm as frustrated as anyone by the inconsistent results/displays but he secured 41 points for us last season and he needs 36 points from 32 games to do likewise this year so i think we've plenty of time to judge. But idea that we should judge the effectiveness or ability of Potter on his post match interviews is pushing it a bit or suggest he's uninterested or not concerned. Of course he is.
Agree with you, about how people come across. Many people described Glenn as looking 'disinterested', and we replaced him with someone who looked interested for every minute of every game. He just wasn't as good at scoring goals in the Championship as Glenn.

You don't have to shout at people to get them to do what you want, or vary your voice in interviews to come across as motivated. Chris was hardly known for losing his cool.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004

Spot on CJ...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Things really don't look shaky though. We have had ONE result that we drew at home that we would have wanted to win, but the win away at Newcastle kind of cancels that out. So really, looking at the fixtures we have had, I would call the points tally so far about par.

Yeah that's fair, especially when you consider which games we have gotten out of the way.

I just mean shaky in terms of being two places from the drop zone. But like I said, 6 games in, hardly time to start worrying.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agreed. Seems like some expect us to come out on top every time we play - for Potter to out-think the oppo manager every game, to show more 'emotion' than the oppo manager, for our players to be better than their opposing counterparts every game, for no-one to ever have a bad game etc etc, and as soon as any do, it's Potter out, March/Webster/Burn et al are shit and so on and so on with ever more hyperbole. It'd be hilarious if it wasn't so sad. Potter was outwitted by Bilic for 45 mins - it happens (in the same way Bruce was outwitted by Potter for 90 mins, as arguably were Hodgson and Solskjaer).......Lallana was taken off after an hour in what was obviously a pre-planned move - the club have been clear enough about how they are 'managing his workload' - the same people moaning about him being taken off are almost certainly the same one moaning about his injury record :shrug: etc etc

Whilst we're scoring more than we were, main issue for me - evident the last two games anyway - is we're not getting it quite right up front now - WBA getting a goal shouldn't have been an issue as we should have had at least a couple by then, same v Palace. Maupay is often too isolated, and when he does get a chance he isn't taking it. Be interesting to see how having Welbeck changes things.

I'd say the defensive system and concentration levels are also a significant issue this season so far. A few clean sheets would hugely increase our odds of winning games, no matter how profligate we are up front.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I'd say the defensive system and concentration levels are also a significant issue this season so far. A few clean sheets would hugely increase our odds of winning games, no matter how profligate we are up front.

They definitely have been, but not so much in the last two games as I posted.....maybe fixing that has contributed the problem at the other end. Conceding single goals against Palace and West Brom should still have meant 6 points given the spells of domination we had.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Hanging onto leads with Duffy to shore things up. Annoyingly that didn't quite happen last season with the big man on the bench or alongside Dunk. So it must be something else.
Aston Villa (A) ? Burnley (H) ? Palace (A) ? Spurs (A)?

I remember him coming on a couple of times and hanging on in games. Can't remember what games they were or who they were against though

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It started going wrong this season with an initial very tough set of games. Put us on the back foot earlydoors, left us playing catch-up. Sadly November games look likely to leave us playing even more catch-up :down:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
It started going wrong this season with an initial very tough set of games. Put us on the back foot earlydoors, left us playing catch-up. Sadly November games look likely to leave us playing even more catch-up :down:

There's always tough fixtures, and as we keep getting reminded no easy ones. Fact is we need to get something from some, and it's not unreasonable to expect something from the teams who are are on paper, no better, or not as good as we are. Things aren't quite right at the moment. The bounce back at TOttingham will be interesting.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I think people are quick to jump to conclusions about the goals we are conceding. We have been unlucky, yes, but at the same time we’re naive. I don’t think our midfield gives the defence enough cover.

We’re creating chances and playing nicer football than before, but for all our peacocking we still need a functional defensive presence further up the field. This is probably where BW was moved upfield but imo that’s a work in progress anyway. I think moving him to CDM will have a converse effect and make him more of a deep lying playing maker rather than adding a defensive screen in the midfield. I also noticed BWs head seemed to drop as the game went on V WBA. Fatigue? I don’t know.

Imo we need to pin someone between the back 4 and our midfield. And fwiw I think Burn is fine as a LWB. By no means perfect but more than adequate for a team with 10th-14th ambitions.

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.
I think people are quick to jump to conclusions about the goals we are conceding. We have been unlucky, yes, but at the same time we’re naive. I don’t think our midfield gives the defence enough cover.

We’re creating chances and playing nicer football than before, but for all our peacocking we still need a functional defensive presence. This is probably where BW was move upfield but imo that’s a work in progress anyway. I think moving him to CDM will have a converse effect and make him more of a deep lying playing maker rather than adding a defensive screen in the midfield, BWs head also seemed to drop as the game went on V WBA. Fatigue? I don’t know.

Imo we need to pin someone between the back 4 and our midfield. And fwiw I think Burn is fine as a LWB. By no means perfect but more than adequate for a team with 10th-14th ambitions.

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
As a wise man once said, "Keep the faith!"

I wonder whatever happened to him ???

It's funny you ask. He became manager of a Premier League club following success at a lower level, but it was a step too far. He then had various jobs and didn't do very well in any of them, with the exception of being back at the level he was exception at in League 2 with Port Vale. I'm not saying Graham Potter is a modern day Micky Adams, but history might show it to be.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here