Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Where it all started going wrong?

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
An inability to read the flow of the game and notice that WBA were exploring the wide areas and overloading us here. Then he brought on Gross for Lallana in what amounted to a substitution that changed nothing. He played into their hands and I don’t get why.

It took me 30 seconds last week to look up WBA and the fact they exploit wide areas in attacking teams . . . . Potter just got it all wrong 2nd half.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Burn could have done better for the last 2 goals we’ve conceded.
Personally I’d prefer to see White back in defence, with Veltman and Webster, retaining March as the LWB and resist the urge to use Burn at LB. Alzate and Bissouma have been building a good relationship in midfield, the constant moving of personnel can’t help form or consistency surely?

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Burn could have done better for the last 2 goals we’ve conceded.
Personally I’d prefer to see White back in defence, with Veltman and Webster, retaining March as the LWB and resist the urge to use Burn at LB. Alzate and Bissouma have been building a good relationship in midfield, the constant moving of personnel can’t help form or consistency surely?
Quite agree. The only problem is that then it leaves only three places available for Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, Wellbeck, Lallana, Mac Allister, Jahanbakhsh, Zeqiri, Propper and Gross, which is going to take a lot on managing ....................

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Quite agree. The only problem is that then it leaves only three places available for Maupay, Connolly, Trossard, Wellbeck, Lallana, Mac Allister, Jahanbakhsh, Zeqiri, Propper and Gross, which is going to take a lot on managing ....................

But that seems like part of our issue, the insistence of getting certain players on the field at the expense of possibly more suited players. Last night we had Veltman in defence, a new addition to our back 3, White was moved out into midfield where Alzate should be, Webster was playing RCB instead of LCB. For me there’s too much manipulating of the positions people play. I know I’ll never understand the game as well as Potter but to my mind Veltman for Dunk was the obvious choice, it keeps a more settled system for the players to be familiar with.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Playing one upfront, for whatever reason Maupay cannot play that role and Trossard not play the supporting striker slot, he is too slow and is better behind a front two

Maupay looked slow to react, took way too many touches and looked as if he couldn't hit a cow's arse with a banjo, other than that we're good upfront!

E

Eric Youngs Contact Lense

I wasn't surprised at seeing White in that position again, following what was a promising game (I thought) at Palace. Veltman/Webster/Burn was one of a couple of permeations, and I am not sure were that important to the disappointing performance. far more influential for me were the below-par performances of Trossard/Bissouma/Maupay/Lamptey all of whom just couldn't get going 2nd half. GPs changes were however also significant, in that they simply didn't work - either because the lads who came on just didn't play well or make any impact at all, or because they were wrong decisions. Of all of them March going off seemed strange when they were getting on top - and maybe we would not have conceded from the move down that side, but we might have done as the tide had already swung.
Regards White in midfield, i would not be surprised to see him there again vs. Spurs - Kane or Son or Moura dropping into those holes might be a threat that GP wants to nullify more effectively.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
WBA are quite physical which is why he stuck with Burn I suspect. White also had a good game v Palace in midifield. For me both didn't quite work, Burn didn't have a bad game but he doesn't have the distribution of Dunk or White which slowed our play. White is not as accomplished on the ball as Alzate and also less willing to travel with the ball. This meant we transitioned slower than we have all season. Even then we take any of the numerous chances we created 1st half we go 2-0 up game is won.

Up front Troussard looked what he is a midfielder filling in as a striker, it didn't work at Palace either and it was a mistake not to start with either Connolly or Welbeck assuming they were fit enough to have done so. What exacerbated those errors for me was the reluctance to rectify them 2nd half when it was obvious we needed fresh legs up there. Potter made a conscious decision to play for the 1-0 which was a mistake and meant that when it went 1-1 he couldn't adapt.

He made some mistakes. That some plums on here think that should be a sacking matter says more about them than I ever could and we do have some hysterical old biddies in our support. However, it was a poor result in a game that while not defining was an indicator of how we might go moving forward. Had we taken 6/7 points from this and the upcoming two I for one would've felt vindicated in what my eyes are telling me that this s a good side improving rapidly. Now pressure is on a bit and defeat at Spurs will make Burnley a big game even at this early stage...

Premier League teams are always a couple of games from a crisis but last night was a chance to get ahead of the curve a bit squandered. I'm behind Potter and continue to be so but I would hope he is dishing out a few reality checks to certain players today and also pondering his own tactical performance as I'm sure he will be.

Rinkmaster

Oct 1, 2020
Newhaven
Right from the start we looked shabby, sorry but there is no other word for it. It seemed as if it had the importance of a Sunday afternoon stroll in the park. We rightly should have lost that match just because of a complete lack of passion only two players earnt their wages Lamptey and Lallana. The rest didn't even get out of bed

Falmer Wizard

Jun 23, 2020
Please don't say that, as you're feeding all the Potter out brigade......
Last nights second half display was not great, but the first half was, so there is still hope.
Don't forget, we'll sometimes struggle.
But I'd rather be an Albionite than A N Other :thumbsup:
We played better in the first half but no where near great,entertainment was sadly lacking throughout the game and it must be pointed out that we only gained a point through an own goal.
Spurs away next, hope we can keep the goals against total down.

maltaseagull

Feb 25, 2009
Zabbar- Malta
HAHA! :lolol:

Seriously though the main issue is turning shots into goals. We are 6th highest in the league for total shots taken. 2nd from bottom only above Sheffield Utd for percentage of shots on target. That's worrying.

Don't panic!

I am sure we will sign a 20 goal striker in the transfer window.

Just not sure which one :p

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I think Potter spends a little too much time worrying about the opposition and changing the side to suit. Ben White is a good player but has played in DM four times for Leeds and we thrust him in there with far better and more experienced players for that position on the bench. Let’s worry about us imposing ourselves on games. Last night I would rather he had brought Connolly on to give WBA another problem, as per Watford away last season.

He needs to stop being quite so loyal. Maupay needs a spell on the bench. I think the fact that Maupay is such a good footballer and suits Potters style that it blinds him to the fact that currently his finishing is not up to scratch. His two bad misses in last two games have arguably cost us 4 points.

Agree, he is too loyal - it needs to be mixed up a bit quicker. Surely if Maupay is playing poorly then why not give Zequiri or Welbeck a chance on the pitch - I'm not saying they are defo the solution (who knows?) but surely it's worth a try (or even a shot :lol:)

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
You push that panic button as hard as you can if it makes you feel happy.

By the way, Saints lost 9-0 a year ago and didn't panic.

Just sayin'.

its the 25% win rate that concerns me not just the last 45 mins of football.

LadySeagull

Jan 21, 2011
Portslade
One up front is a problem because we never get the ball in the box enough. To be fair to Maupay, there just isn't the service.

As I see it, March and Alzate lose the ball and faff about outside the box for too long. March keeps needing an extra touch or getting the ball caught up in his feet.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
Ryan

Lamptey. White Webster Burn. March

Bissouma Alzate

Lallana. Maupay. Connelly

Badger Boy

Mr Badger
Jan 28, 2016
I'm not going to advocate replacing Potter, but I do think he needs to wake up to reality a little bit. He sounds totally disinterested in every interview and like he's not all that concerned by what happens. I've seen nothing in the last year to suggest he's as good as his reputation deserves. I think the team is constantly just short of something and I think it's a lack of urgency and a lack of real belief that we SHOULD win every game. You aren't going to, obviously. Sometimes the game just gets away from you and that's not unreasonable, especially in this league.

Nobody can say we shouldn't have beaten Palace or West Brom, though. The Palace game felt like the players believed they were 2 or 3-0 up at 0-0 before the random penalty gifted Palace the lead and we only got level late on. I didn't bother with the game last night so I've no idea if history repeated but being 1-0 up and not killing the game largely speaks for itself.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
I'm not going to advocate replacing Potter, but I do think he needs to wake up to reality a little bit. He sounds totally disinterested in every interview and like he's not all that concerned by what happens. I've seen nothing in the last year to suggest he's as good as his reputation deserves. I think the team is constantly just short of something and I think it's a lack of urgency and a lack of real belief that we SHOULD win every game. You aren't going to, obviously. Sometimes the game just gets away from you and that's not unreasonable, especially in this league.

Nobody can say we shouldn't have beaten Palace or West Brom, though. The Palace game felt like the players believed they were 2 or 3-0 up at 0-0 before the random penalty gifted Palace the lead and we only got level late on. I didn't bother with the game last night so I've no idea if history repeated but being 1-0 up and not killing the game largely speaks for itself.

The team almost look like they are told to go out and enjoy themselves and not worry too much about the result.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think everyone must admit our form has dipped from the first few games where we were unlucky not to get anything against top sides.

For me the decline has been Potter feeling he has to act to avoid conceding from set pieces as we did all too much at the beginning of this season.

His answer was to bring in Burn at left back. Now I love the man but he's not a full back, he's a centre back. He's let Townsend have a free cross leading to the penalty at Palace. He's gone missing way out of position for the goal yesterday and he's let many crosses come in against him as well.

He's also decided to move White into defensive midfield. Whilst I think he's played well defensively, he's very inexperienced to be playing that role at the moment.

The result of these changes is that we look half the side we were at the start.

He needs to go back to the team and formation that was playing so well at the beginning of the season.

Not inclined to trawl through this entire thread. It was one game. It was different to our other games. Next game it will be different again.

But the answer to your question is, probably, when we came down from the trees. Massive mistake. And the invention of fire only inflamed the situation.

jamie (not that one)

NSC Patron
May 3, 2012
Valencia
Where is it going wrong?

Ben White isn't a defensive midfielder and I doubt he can be trained to make the switch.

Maupay isn't a lone striker and needs someone to play off.

Solly works hard but end product is near zero, yet we insist on putting it wide for him (even though there's nobody to cross to anyway).

We love giving the ball away.

Logic would dictate three at the back means less space for a lone striker to move in, but those three are stretched to cover our wingbacks (especially March who isn't quick enough to get back - not really his fault).

GP learns so much per game he must be close to getting his doctorate

Where is it going right?

Veltman looked very assured on the ball and his reading of the game is excellent.

Lamptey is consistently superb.

Lallana ran the game and, if fit, could take us to the next level.

Biss doesn't give the ball away.

BDB dancing through their team makes me think he would be a better choice of makeshift CDM than White.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here