Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] The "how to cook rice debate"

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Swindon, but used to be Manila
With my Asian wife consulted the correct and only answer is to use a rice cooker. Perfect every time ( but you must use the correct rice she will only use AAA Jasmin rice ). Having lived in asia for 6 years before you only see them using rice cookers they don’t boil and drain, they don’t microwave and they definitely don’t boil in the bag!!

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Weigh price in saucepan, wash it, add water until total weight is x3 the rice, ie 200g rice, rice + water = 600g

Bring to boil, reduce to very low with tight lid, leave for 20 mins, rest for 5

Perfect, who needs a rice cooker.

If any left over rapid cool it and put it in the fridge, rice could be a shocker for food poisoning

ALWAYS WASH the rice...
One cup of rice
Two cups of water
Switch on rice cooker

That’s it.... who needs all the phaff of weighing and timing.

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
£120 :mad: :mad:

rice.JPG

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Watched Madhur Jaffrey cooking rice on TV and adopted her method for Basmati Rice. It is a bit of a Faff, but the results are good.

Wash the rice (so many people here either don't get rid of the starch, or forget to mention this step.
Soak in cold water for an hour.
Stick the kettle on
Fry the rice in a little oil with a few spices (black mustard seeds, Turmeric, cumin or whatever you fancy)
Pour the boiling water over the rice, until it is covered and then another inch of water.
Boil with the lid off until the rice is sticking out and the water is just bubbling in the rice.
Take the pan off the heat and put the pan lid on.
Wait 10 minutes

The Wookiee

Back From The Dead
Nov 10, 2003
Worthing
Heat up some olive oil in a pan, put one cup of rice in pan with oil. Make sure rice is coated in oil and stir for 1 min.
Then add two cups of boiling water to pan with rice. Bring to boil with lid on. turn heat to lowest setting and leave for 10 mins. Take off heat and take lid off pan and put clean t towel over pan and leave for 5 mins.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
I make a great egg fried rice so easy and tasty, once mastered you can than add your chicken, beef or whatever. I learnt from a Chinese take away favourites cook book I purchased in a WH Smith’s sale years ago. Chinese cooking is relatively easy and far more tasty than from the Chinese round the corner. A beef chow mien 5 minute job.

METALMICKY

Jan 30, 2004
How on earth has this thread got to 5 pages? Life is too short and would rather spend the time on what's going with the rice.

1500x1500.jpg

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Basmati rice,
rince
add to saucepan with good heavy base for even distribution of heat
Add add one and a quarter to one and a third volume of water. Less rice the larger the proportion of water
bring to a rolling boil
turn heat down to minimum and put tight fitting lid on
cook for ten minutes
take off heat , do not remove lid so no steam escapes
leave to stand for ten minutes
fluff up the rice and serve

Munkfish

May 1, 2006
Cook the rice however you want, leave it to dry out over night and cook again the next day ALWAYS makes the best rice in my opinion.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
How on earth has this thread got to 5 pages? Life is too short and would rather spend the time on what's going with the rice.

Microwave rice is fine and if you are cooking for one, it is quick and convenient. The cheapo own brand stuff is just as good and a fraction of the price.

If you are doing larger quantities and or trying to make an effort. Cooking rice properly is a lot more cost effective and you can get better results.

swindonseagull

Aug 6, 2003
Microwave rice is fine and if you are cooking for one, it is quick and convenient. The cheapo own brand stuff is just as good and a fraction of the price.

Totally disagree, one thing ive learnt about living in Asia for 6 years and being married to a professional rice eater for 36 years are different grades and types of rice....AAAAA being the top grade in Jasmin rice, I have no idea about Basmati as her indoors wont eat it......hence I dont eat it either.

Boil in the bag is for students and people who dont really appreciate decent rice.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here