Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[TV] PPV price point - what would you be prepared to pay?

Would you pay £9.95 for PPV matches involving the Albion?

• No. Against the concept of PPV

Votes: 36 22.1%
  • Yes - for pretty much all matches

Votes: 35 21.5%
  • Yes - for about half to three quarters of matches

Votes: 12 7.4%
  • Yes for about 5-10 or so matches

Votes: 19 11.7%
  • Yes - the occasional one here and there

Votes: 31 19.0%
  • Only consider it if it was lower still (please give sensible maximum price)

Votes: 30 18.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The Football Supporters' Association are in constant dialogue with the Premier League.

We've been asked to gauge fans' reaction to PPV. They're asking, given that £14.95 is almost universally considered too high, would you be more likely to pay £9.95, in line with iFollow? If so, would this be for around 25 or so games (obvs Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc would have fewer games on PPV).

They are at pains to point out no discussion has been made; they are merely after the fans' reaction.

Thanks in advance.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Is this a short term fix for as long as fans aren’t allowed into grounds? If so, yes of course I will happily pay up to a tenner for all games not on Sky or BT sport. It would make absolutely no difference who we were playing either. It could even be a cup game against someone like Grimsby, I’d pay

If it’s a long term thing that will still be running once we are allowed back into the ground, I’m not a fan and think that it would affect gates of smaller clubs for lesser games (i.e not against the top six or a derby game). Having said that, if it was a game I couldn’t attend I’d probably pay. Actually scrub that, I’d DEFINITELY pay.

Last edited:

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
A fiver seems reasonable to me considering the vast majority will already be paying as much as a hundred pounds a month already for Sky and/or BT. I appreciate that covers other sports too but lets be honest football is the main reason these subscriptions are so high and the product is an inferior one being behind clsoed doors (and there are no discoutns on your package to account for this). Also many areas are suffering far worse than Brighton and Sussex, so it needs to be a national charge to reflect the current situation the country is in.

Saying that I think I've just talked myself out of PPV completely, go back to the model over the summer as more and more areas are locked down and the financial and social consequences of the lockdown are felt.

Hotchilidog

Jan 24, 2009
I currently pay around £7.50 per game to watch my NFL team (they should be paying me this season!) and I can also watch all the other games either live or in condensed ad free form plus hundreds of hours of archived games and original programming.

I would suggest something in £5+ range if this was to be a regular thing. Bearing in mind that most fans can access moody streams for games making the price-point a non-issue would surely increase 'legal' take-up. Clubs can bitch as much as they like but the £0 option is already out there and that is their competition

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
I paid £10 to watch our reserve team in the Carabao Cup so yes I would for all matches!

To be honest, I'm a bit of a mug and will be paying the £15 anyway unless there is another lockdown and I can't work and won't be spending a penny on anything other than household bills!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
A pedant writes that iFollow is £10 - not £9.95.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I currently pay around £7.50 per game to watch my NFL team (they should be paying me this season!) and I can also watch all the other games either live or in condensed ad free form plus hundreds of hours of archived games and original programming.

I would suggest something in £5+ range if this was to be a regular thing. Bearing in mind that most fans can access moody streams for games making the price-point a non-issue would surely increase 'legal' take-up. Clubs can bitch as much as they like but the £0 option is already out there and that is their competition

So a tenner if it was short-term, but a fiver if it went on beyond, say, the New Year?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Won't be paying for PPV personally, but would imagine that the EPL will feel the need to put clear daylight between itself and the EFL's £10 offering, if only to reinforce it's image as a 'luxury brand', so will need to pitch it somewhat higher. £14.95, say

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
My feeling, is for a fiver each i'd pretty much pay for every game. At a tenner it would probably be 2 or 3 the out of every ten games. At £15 it would have to be an important game, say a key relegation or european qualification game. I'm not sure that's a logical approach but my " gut feel " for the value of each price point is something like that.

Pondicherry

May 25, 2007
Horsham
I don't really like watching Brighton live on TV. I tend to switch off if things are not going well as I get too annoyed. I much prefer watching live in the actual stadium because you are much more connected to the event. Hence I would pay if £5, possibly £7 max.

Taybha

Whalewhine
Oct 8, 2008
Uwantsumorwat
I wouldn't pay to watch any games not involving Brighton and Hove Albion but would pay the £14.95 to watch a Brighton match if I had no other option , it's way too expensive but the persons responsible for the price point just know there will be enough mugs like me to make it a very lucrative business .

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
As I have sky, I am a bit loathed to pay anything more to see sport...I have never PPV over what I pay on sky.

So I am out

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Tenner seems OK, about 3/4 of matches. Sometimes other stuff going on..

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
For £5 each I'd happily dump my BT Sport subscription and just spend up to £25 on any Brighton games not on Sky's included broadcasts. At the very most, I'd be paying the same as I currently am for a product I actually want.

£14.95 a game, plus £25 for BT that is only going to cover Everton vs Liverpool, West Ham vs Man City, and Sheffield United vs Man City for the remainder this month. That's a rip-off.

Greavsey

Jul 4, 2007
My feeling, is for a fiver each i'd pretty much pay for every game. At a tenner it would probably be 2 or 3 the out of every ten games. At £15 it would have to be an important game, say a key relegation or european qualification game. I'm not sure that's a logical approach but my " gut feel " for the value of each price point is something like that.

This. I think ultimately they would make more money if they pitched it at £5. I might even be inclined to watch the odd non-Brighton game at that price point...

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
The Football Supporters' Association are in constant dialogue with the Premier League.

We've been asked to gauge fans' reaction to PPV. They're asking, given that £14.95 is almost universally considered too high, would you be more likely to pay £9.95, in line with iFollow? If so, would this be for around 25 or so games (obvs Liverpool, Man U, Chelsea etc would have fewer games on PPV).

They are at pains to point out no discussion has been made; they are merely after the fans' reaction.

Thanks in advance.

Just to bear in min (and I'm not here expressing a view on price) the iFollow coverage is rubbish compared to what Sky will do. Often single camera.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here