Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] "Substantial Meal"

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
With pubs in Liverpool only permitted to open if they serve substantial meals, does anyone else remember the days of the late nights bars in the 1970's that could stay open if they served food. In particular I went to the bar under the New Heart & Hand which, although primarily a gay club, filled with many 'in the know'. At just after 11:00 pm a plate was handed out to everyone containing a piece of ham and a slice of lettuce. Rumours that the same slices were used for a few nights may have been true. Although with my then GF (I'm male and happily married), I made friends with many from that bar that lasted for years. Indeed, the owners and staff went on to open Rain, now Buddies, and I was involved with them in the 1980's. The first 'bar/restaurant' with a 2 am license.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The Carioca in Worthing (formerly the Mexican Hat) where Adam Faith discovered Leo Sayer, apparently used to serve up a fish finger and a chip at certain time to every punter to adhere to the 'supper licence' terms and conditions.

Can anyone of a certain age on here confirm this?

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Substantial meal in Liverpool is walking into a pub and saying ‘Chayzy Chepps’.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Not local to Brighton but before the 11pm licensing law changed there was a small side road off Oxford Street in London that most people knew as Spanish Alley as there were a cluster of small Spanish restaurants there. They'd serve booze until about 4am as long as you bought a couple of plates of tapas. Many a work night out ended up there in the 90s, followed by the first train from Victoria back home.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
I remember Sunday opening was limited and had to involve food way back when. To get round this, I have memories of ordering a plate of chips with every pint.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
You could drink after hours at the Lion and Lobster if you bought a jacket potato for £1 and sat down. I think you were supposed to eat them, they weren't bad and better than a dodgy kebab.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
In Scotland in the early 70s, pubs couldn't open on Sundays, only hotels could - and they could only sell drinks with a meal. The 'meal' was usually a lettuce leaf, a (very thin) slice of tomato and a cream cracker or similar!

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
I'm not a fan, but 5 pints of Guinness is a substantial meal isn't it ?

THere ar eprobably cocktails with more solid than liquid at point of serving. If you include the brolly!

In the 90's a lot of Shoreham folk would descend on the Dysentry Cottage for a curry at half 11 . . . washed down with 4 pints of lager obviously.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
You could drink after hours at the Lion and Lobster if you bought a jacket potato for £1 and sat down. I think you were supposed to eat them, they weren't bad and better than a dodgy kebab.

Yeah they were decent, I actively looked forward to them being served.

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Not local to Brighton but before the 11pm licensing law changed there was a small side road off Oxford Street in London that most people knew as Spanish Alley as there were a cluster of small Spanish restaurants there. They'd serve booze until about 4am as long as you bought a couple of plates of tapas. Many a work night out ended up there in the 90s, followed by the first train from Victoria back home.

Rathbone place opposite Soho Sq.

Bradley’s Spanish Wine Bar is still there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paulie Gualtieri

Bada Bing
NSC Patron
May 8, 2018
Seem to remember some arrangement at the Railway Bell for the Sunday Palace Game (Spanish Dave) where we had to buy breakfast and was given ticket stubs for drinks?

The whole day and Monday after remains a blur though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Snowy

Jul 14, 2003
Perranporth
The Carioca in Worthing (formerly the Mexican Hat) where Adam Faith discovered Leo Sayer, apparently used to serve up a fish finger and a chip at certain time to every punter to adhere to the 'supper licence' terms and conditions.

Can anyone of a certain age on here confirm this?

Yes, I can confirm this, although it may be fairer to say you would get two or three chips if you were lucky. Obviously this was to get around the T's & C's but as the Carioca was run by Jock McGuckin I'm sure that his Scottish tight fistedness had something to do with the sparseness of the meals too!

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
I’m pretty certain I’ve read that a legal case in relation to the serving of alcohol ruled that a cheese sandwich was a substantial meal!

I could be wrong of course

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Rathbone place opposite Soho Sq.

Bradley’s Spanish Wine Bar is still there

Bradley's was one of them. There were a few in a row. Was it called Hanway Place though? Next street along from Rathbone. You knew you'd had a good night out if you ended up there at closing time.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
When I lived in Camden when all the local pubs shut including my fav The Elephants Head the place to go was the Marathon Restaurant/Bar in Chalk Farm were we would carry on the party and band members would jam until dawn, all with a plate of chips or Kebab. Amy Winehouse used to be in their sometimes dancing to Rockabilly.
Also mentioned in the below link is the The Mac Bar across the road from where we lived on Royal College Street, many a wild night in both venues...

https://www.kentishtowner.co.uk/2013/11/22/party-five-legendary-bars/

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here