Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] A thread full of now defunct Tour Operators/Airline that you travelled with

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It seems strange to me that JetBlue, a New York based budget airline, has chosen next Spring to launch it's New York - London route. I've flown with them many times and they're very good, but I'm just not sure this is the time to be doing this. Any other time I would have bet on them to succeed but now is definitely a gamble.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
Went to the States in 1984. Flew there with Pan Am and back with BOAC - both now taken over.
European holidays with Blue Sky in the 80s - think they may now be part of TUI

dennis

Aug 1, 2007
Cornwall
My Uncle Brian took me to a family wedding in Nottingham in his Cortina

The Cortina got scrapped and he’s dead now

Does that count

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Anyone remember Peoples Express? Flew withem to New York in early 80's i think. Flew Dan Air as an 8 year old on a Comet. Something broke soon after take off and we had to go back to airport. Remember being equal measures excited and scared

Used to look after PE when I worked at LGW. Had a few trips to NYC. Always liked their meal baskets.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
TWA to the US. In a short space I flew to Florida three times with different now defunct airlines - Laker, Travel City Direct and ATA (American Trans Air).

Air Europe flights and Horizon holidays and also back then flew with British Airtours and British Caledonian..

Used to fly to Newcastle regularly on all these airlines that are no longer around - started off with Dan Air (great service), CityFlyer Express, Gill Air (regional airline using 33 seater Shorts Skyvans) and most recently FlyBe.

City flyer, some of the best air hostesses around. Best Christmas parties.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
I've done a few but off the top of my head is Dan Air, Monarch, Astraeus and an Irish one called Jet Magic. There's possibly more but that I can't remember

There maybe more, but these are from memory.

Thomas Cook, Caledonian, Palm air, Intersun, Dan Air, Air Europe, Orion, Air 2000, Flying Colours, British Midland, Bmi Baby, Air UK, Monarch, (Airtours/first Choice - mergers) Ansett Australia, KD Avia (Kalingrad - Russian)

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Went on a few school ski trips in the early 80’s with a company called Schools Abroad who iirc were based in Brighton.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Strange but true: I was the cover model on quite a few of their annual brochures. Got free skiing trips out of it.

jessiejames

Never late in a V8
Jan 20, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
Laker, flew with them back from Greece, never done Skytrain, they once owned baggage company Gatwick Handling, Dan Air, British Caledonian, Air Europe, XL, Monarch, Thomas Cook, TWA, City flyer, Travel city, Northwest, Braniff, Zoom, Pan am, flight 103, 6 weeks before Lockerbie.

Juan Albion

Chicken Sniffer 3rd Class
Been on a few now-defunct airlines, many of which have been mentioned.
Plus. . .
Canadian Airlines, London <> Toronto
Balkan Airlines, Gatwick <> Sofia
Atlantic Airlines, Managua <> Puerto Cabezas

And then there was the Seacat crossing to France. Went from Brighton, didn't it? Either way, it went bust while I was in France, leaving me stranded.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Dan Dare from Manston (on the grass) in 1970s to Paris.

Like flying a Sopwith Camel.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Is Manx Airways still going? If not then Liverpool to Dublin in a turbo prop.

Chocks away and tally ho... Just time for the complementary boiled sweet.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
British Midland to Corfu/Paxos XL Airways to Skiathos and My Travel to Tennerife..

I also used British Midland from Heathrow to Inverness, and British Regional Airlines (they may still be going; I don't know) on a BAE 146, also to Inverness. They were a BA franchise. BM weren't a patch on them. You got a pretty good hot snack and china service for tea or coffee, whereas BM only gave you crisps or similar and a disposable coffee cup. I also flew on Lauda Air (Niki Lauda's airline) to Vienna; an excellent airline they were too. Unfortunately, I think they were hit badly by the terrible crash of their Boeing 767 in Thailand, even though it wasn't their fault. I know the name is still going as a division of Austrian Airlines, but I think Niki just licensed them to use the name.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Flew to Sydney with the family. After a week in Sydney, we went to the airport to fly on to Brisbane and went to the domestic airport as you would. We should have been at the international airport, even though the cab driver knew where we were flying. Anyway, we were told that we would not make the transfer and get the flight, so we had to book new ones. 5 of us with laker was £100, it was $3 to the £1 then. I wasn't so pissed off after finding this out. Pretty sure that was the year laker went bust although I doubt it was my fault.

jackanada

Jul 19, 2011
Brighton
Flew to Delhi via Romania on their state airline TAROM.
Dirty plane, mean stewardesses, disgusting food, NICE Pils.
Highlights were the several hundred soldiers all hunched down smoking on a berm each side of runway, and while waiting in the deserted airport watching an icy well maintained hottie march into airport stock up on makeup and perfume and march out again. No payment no security checks.

PTC Gull

Micky Mouse country.
NSC Patron
Apr 17, 2017
Florida
Laker, flew with them back from Greece, never done Skytrain, they once owned baggage company Gatwick Handling, Dan Air, British Caledonian, Air Europe, XL, Monarch, Thomas Cook, TWA, City flyer, Travel city, Northwest, Braniff, Zoom, Pan am, flight 103, 6 weeks before Lockerbie.

Gatwick Handling was more than a baggage company, I worked for them on the Ramp looking after different airlines. They were 50% owned by Laker with Dan Air owning the other 50%. When Laker went bust Northwest Airlines (now part of Delta) bought their 50%. When Dan Dare when bust, Delta bought the other half. Eventually they became Aviance.

Pierre the Painter

May 20, 2020
Anyone mentioned Lunn Poly yet??

When I got married to the better half we asked for lunn poly vouchers for our honeymoon in Salou.

Used to love their 'getaway' adverts. :lolol:

[YT]D3nyV-VA498[/YT]

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here